Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum November 2012: Stan Wawrinka Topspin Backhand

Stan Wawrinka Topspin Backhand

One of the elements I like about putting together the monthly issues is the opportunity to contrast and compare. In Scott Murphy's article in this issue, we take a look at a "classical" one-handed backhand slice drive.

In the Interactive Forum, here is the complete opposite end of the spectrum in the form of a Wawrinka topspin backhand. Note how far Stan is behind the baseline, the extreme grip, the open stance set up, and the massive body rotation for a one-hander--among other things...What else do you see, and if you read Scott's article, what are your thoughts on the range of one-handed possibilities?

Last edited by johnyandell; 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM.

Quicktime Version

Stan Wawrinka Topspin Backhand

Last edited by johnyandell; 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Check the stationary head!

Check it out: from 10 clicks before contact to 10 clicks after, the left ear barely moves as everything turns around around that point leaving his left eye, at least, completely still.

don

Comment

Love it...

Like tennis_chiro, I love the still head. But even more I love the preparation. I like the way the racket tip points upwards as he commences into the backswing. Watching the clip, you're left wondering why he hits off an open stance, as the ball is bouncing quite near to him...why not a closed stance, especially when situated so far behind the baseline? I just came to the conclusion his backhand is so good he can just he can produce an equally good shot off any stance he chooses.
        Stotty

Comment

Stotty,

Think contact height is the answer. And on the slice would love to be proved wrong. When you get to SF, I'll give you a few Nadal forehands off the Sports Attack and you judge. BTW I used the Rosewall backhand my whole life--or some lower level imitation--and it hurt a lot of people's feelings.

Comment

Ace

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            Like tennis_chiro, I love the still head. But even more I love the preparation. I like the way the racket tip points upwards as he commences into the backswing. Watching the clip, you're left wondering why he hits off an open stance, as the ball is bouncing quite near to him...why not a closed stance, especially when situated so far behind the baseline? I just came to the conclusion his backhand is so good he can just he can produce an equally good shot off any stance he chooses.
            You asked the question about why he used the open stance and why he didnt choose to use a closed or neutral stance: It was just self preference. SW is about 3 meters behind the baseline and he positioned himself perfectly to play any of the three backhand stances. Now we have to try and understand his tactical intention. In this case he played a deep cross court backhand topspin drive to create an opportunity for his next shot depending on what his opponent will do with the next shot.

Ace
            Last edited by johnyandell; 12-11-2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8565 users online. 5 members and 8560 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X