Hitting a Topspin Serve: The Dirty Diaper Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting a Topspin Serve: The Dirty Diaper Drill

Would love to hear what you thought about Jeff Salzenstein's video instruction, "Hitting a Topspin Serve: The Dirty Diaper Drill"

I think the on the knees drill helps with the right side finish. Wonder if anyone else noticed the differences (or are they?) in the pronation in this article from Jeff versus the Tom Downs article?

Comment

the whole dirty diaper thing is just disgusting as an anology. It does not apply to anything in the video other than bring up the smell. look, color of a dirty diaper from your own mind. It's from a child as he admits.
      Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM.

Comment

This is a classic drill that I was taught some 10 years ago.

I do have a complaint or a disappointment that this video or at lest the majority of it is already on youtube for free. I did not time this video so I am not sure. The reason I come to Tennisplayer.net is for exclusive, quality content that I cannot get anywhere else.

-Shaun

Comment

Nah. Open up the whole grab bag. Tennis is hard enough already for most of us. Let anything be anywhere. And consider it all as ideas, which are and should be a dime-a-dozen. With no ownership attributed to any. Ideas as service then. The idea is to help.

As for exclusive markets, humbug. Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Ayn Rand and Taylor Caldwell can just go screw themselves. The Tennis Player I know will always have exclusive quality content whether some of it appears elsewhere or not.

Comment

Shaun,

This shows where I am coming from but I didn't even know (or ask) about YouTube. Hate You Tube. Think it should be obliterated due to copyright issues, visual quality, and general stupidity. Just me I know...

The version on Tennisplayer was edited somewhat to boil it down. I got to know Jeff's serve thinking not only from working with him in the past but by filming a big chunk of the course for him. So these segments (one more to come) were naturals for us and I think raise some issues--someone commented I think on the possible differences in pronation compared to Stosur for example--and there are others that maybe deserve discussion. The thing in the first piece on the stances I liked quite a bit as well.

In any case when he does his two handed course we'll see if we can't get some material that isn't already public.

John

Comment

I have used this drill for a while. Great drill, but the finish part is a little confusing. Sometimes the racket faces his body, sometimes more towards the back fence. And, obviously, on real 2nd serves like Fed's, the racket at some point pronates and faces the side. I have found that this drill helps with the toss and staying sideways but the less gifted end up just kind of curling around the ball and not getting the pronation right when they try to do a full serve.

Comment

The Trophy Position In Serving

I just want to say how refreshing it is to hear Jeff Salzenstein coaching the Trophy Position for the serve. Many players are often confused with too much coaching and become overloaded or confused. Jeff gets straight to the point and the results are significant!

Comment

Where is the article?

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  Would love to hear what you thought about Jeff Salzenstein's video instruction, "Hitting a Topspin Serve: The Dirty Diaper Drill"
                  Where is the article?
                  The content of the new issue below-
                  I am on a PC
                  ----->
                  New Articles:

John Yandell A New Teaching System: Serving Rhythm
                  Jim Loehr The Only Way to Win: Introduction
                  John Yandell, Bruce Elliott, David Whiteside Spin Rates and Spin Axis in Elite Serving
                  Matt Cronin Declining Attendance Threatens Small Tournaments
                  Lee Tyler A Tennis Player Named Barbara
                  Tour Portraits Jim Fawcette: John Isner
                  Classic Lesson John Yandell: Speed and Spin in the Serves of Sampras and Rusedski
                  ---->

Comment

November 2012

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
                    Where is the article?
                    The content of the new issue below-
                    I am on a PC
                    ----->
                    New Articles:

John Yandell A New Teaching System: Serving Rhythm
                    Jim Loehr The Only Way to Win: Introduction
                    John Yandell, Bruce Elliott, David Whiteside Spin Rates and Spin Axis in Elite Serving
                    Matt Cronin Declining Attendance Threatens Small Tournaments
                    Lee Tyler A Tennis Player Named Barbara
                    Tour Portraits Jim Fawcette: John Isner
                    Classic Lesson John Yandell: Speed and Spin in the Serves of Sampras and Rusedski
                    ---->
                    Look back to the November 2012 issue...I suspect it is there! I am on an iPhone.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 11-08-2013, 07:22 PM.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Just wanted to say that Jeff Salzenstein has really some good practical points regarding the serve, like the “elbow the enemy” analogy. Brian Gordon is excellent with his biomechanical analysis. I find Jeff is excellent in his practical approach to achieve it.

Comment

Question: How does the finish position that Jeff demonstrates (strings facing one's body) relate to ISR or does it at all? Is it a totally different mechanism for generating upward spin?

Comment

Anyone have words of wisdom about the racket path after contact? Decelerating the arm after contact on the “dirty diaper” puts my rotator cuff on alert. Sampras’ post contact seemed to be offering a solution.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8037 users online. 8 members and 8029 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X