Luis Bruguera Interview: Find A Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luis Bruguera Interview: Find A Way

Would love to hear what you thought of Chris Lewit's latest interview "Luis Bruguera Interview: Find A Way"

This is The Watcher speaking:

We could only wish to hear this coach expound his thoughts in Spanish. I have long observed the teaching pros talk, talk, and talk, explaining "how."
    Don't talk, find a way. There is a deep argument here.

Comment

How true...

I can't tell you how true that interview is.

Here in the UK, young players these days often train in very closed coaching environments. They get told everything. They have great shots but lack know-how in matches.

By contrast....

Back in the days before coaching became as widespread as it is today, players tended to rely on self-development. They played far more friendly matches against each other and in doing so learnt the art of playing points, learnt the art of getting at the weaknesses of opponents, etc.

The result....

Often you get older players beating younger players purely because they know how to exploit weaknesses and play points better. Often the older players have only sliced backhands...and generally less ideal technique...but they still win because they know HOW and learnt HOW for themselves years ago. That's depressing for the youngsters and it shouldn't be happening.

The idea that players should be encouraged to find their own way of achieving x, y and z is superb. And it can be used in every sense of coaching if both player and coach have imagination.

I have always known this all along but having someone like Luis reinforce it is music to my ears...
      Stotty

Comment

Sounds like he is a big proponent of a more game based way of learning. Which, certainly has it's place as a learning tool. I actually much prefer Jose Higueras's "learning to play" article on how to develop talent in a less mechanical, verbal manner.....that is a great piece

Comment

Learning to Play...

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
          Sounds like he is a big proponent of a more game based way of learning. Which, certainly has it's place as a learning tool. I actually much prefer Jose Higueras's "learning to play" article on how to develop talent in a less mechanical, verbal manner.....that is a great piece

I quickly re-read the Learning to Play article. Yes, it really is a great piece. I agree. Luis's short interview fits nicely into the same philosophy when you think about it. It's shame the interview isn't longer. It would be nice to get a broader view on his teaching methods and philosophy.
          Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8648 users online. 1 members and 8647 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X