Cheating Tricks and Counters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating Tricks and Counters

For the first time today experienced and lost a cheater in a 4.0 tourney.

His trick was, in key moments he'd "forget" the score. For example i'd be up 30-15, win the next point to go up 40-15, but then he'd suddenly "believe" it was actually 30-30. At first i'd give benefit of doubt, except he kept doing it at the tail end of the deciding set. I was too tired to argue and lost. Other than these shenanigans he was actually really nice and i believe his line calls were fair. However i suspect this niceness was part of his ploy. I later found out he is in sales so maybe this came naturally for him. I'm aware that it's certainly possible that i was the one forgetting the score. However in all my years playing rec tourneys i've never had to argue the score this much.

What would you guys have done in this scenario? Also what other cheat tactics have you experienced and what are the countermeasures? Possible topic for an article?

Call out the score

Originally posted by jperedo View Post
    For the first time today experienced and lost a cheater in a 4.0 tourney.

His trick was, in key moments he'd "forget" the score. For example i'd be up 30-15, win the next point to go up 40-15, but then he'd suddenly "believe" it was actually 30-30. At first i'd give benefit of doubt, except he kept doing it at the tail end of the deciding set. I was too tired to argue and lost. Other than these shenanigans he was actually really nice and i believe his line calls were fair. However i suspect this niceness was part of his ploy. I later found out he is in sales so maybe this came naturally for him. I'm aware that it's certainly possible that i was the one forgetting the score. However in all my years playing rec tourneys i've never had to argue the score this much.

What would you guys have done in this scenario? Also what other cheat tactics have you experienced and what are the countermeasures? Possible topic for an article?
    Cheaters spoil the game. Sometimes you just have to get an umpire. But first, be sure to call out the score clearly every point before you serve and be sure your opponent acknowledges that he heard you. Then, do not receive serve unless he calls out each and every point first. Not as part of the service motion, but before, each and every point. Be loud and clear so your opponent can hear you. I often see kids calling the score out as a mumble as they toss the ball. That's no good. Before the point and get an acknowledgement from your opponent that he agrees that is the score. And try to remember the points. It will make you better tactically as well.

don

Comment

The crazy part is we were confirming before serves. The thing is the rallies would get pretty long, making the memory just fuzzy enough to let in some doubt. If I ever play the guy again I plan on asking for an umpire up front.

Comment

For me the worst type, and by far the trickiest to deal with, is the type who gives you a few generous calls early on in the match, at times when they are 30 or 40 love down....when they have written the game off. They do it in the nicest way and with lovely demeanor. Then later, when it's more crucial, they give shocking calls. They lure you in to a false sense of security...crafty that.

There are many types of cheat. It's not a straightforward business.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          For me the worst type, and by far the trickiest to deal with, is the type who gives you a few generous calls early on in the match, at times when they are 30 or 40 love down....when they have written the game off. They do it in the nicest way and with lovely demeanor. Then later, when it's more crucial, they give shocking calls. They lure you in to a false sense of security...crafty that.

I agree there are many types. It'd be an interesting and somewhat entertaining article if someone with enough experience could categorize the different types out there.

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

Wouldn't the calls cancel out? or is this the waiting for the right moment to strike argument?

I don't think players cheat. I think players make mistakes, and their mistakes usually even out by the end of the match. When a player makes a close call I honestly think they see it one way and they make the call based on what they have seen.

But when someone cheats it is the worst...

Comment

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
              Wouldn't the calls cancel out? or is this the waiting for the right moment to strike argument?

I don't think players cheat. I think players make mistakes, and their mistakes usually even out by the end of the match. When a player makes a close call I honestly think they see it one way and they make the call based on what they have seen.

At the rec level i believe this is usually the case. For me I've been playing rec tourneys for 10 years, and i almost never argue line calls - like you say they tend to even out and from my experience rarely affect the outcome. However i think there are a few bad apples here and there who don't share the same mindset as the general population.

Comment

I can think of three different types:

1. Hooker- a player that calls an in ball out.

2. Switcher- a player that switches the score around to benefit themselves.

3. Staller- a player that slows way way down to gain an advantage.

I am sure there are more.

Comment

Wishful thinkers

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post

I think what you are referring to is the "wishful thinker". Most so-called cheats probably fall into the wishful thinking category. Wishful thinkers always call the balls they can't quite see for certain out. They use guesswork instead. The most difficult ball to call is where a shot comes in deep to the baseline and the player has to look downward and over the ball as it bounces to make the call...very difficult for the eye to pick up. Wishful thinkers always call this type of ball out because, well...they just want it to be out. The psychology is simple to understand. I realize now, years later, that when I was younger and desperately wanted to win I probably did it myself. We see it in top level tennis too, but these days Hawkeye takes care of it. McEnroe was most definitely a wishful thinker.

But there are out and out cheats out there make no mistake about that. It would be naive to think otherwise given the nature of human beings and what they are known to be capable of. Human beings have being stealing and slaughtering each other for thousands of years. Stands to reason plenty would have no scruples about cheating over a few line calls.
                  Last edited by stotty; 11-23-2012, 01:53 PM.
                  Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8504 users online. 6 members and 8498 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X