• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure. Block it.

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
      Sure. Block it.
      Or do as (after 3:56) in the video clip (forehand passing shot, similar to what Fed pulled off today at Wimby) :

Comment

What Oscar is saying

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        I can't say that I know Oscar's method well enough to answer that in detail. Some of the things I know he believes about watching and modeling the pros, I agree with. It may be, though, that we study the pros we see different things. Think he is mistaken in believing that the "wrap" finish is a cause of anything. Or that there is no turn in the forehand preparation, only "ball stalking." Also I don't believe in miracle cures--for cancer or the forehand--his master tennis in two days idea. I just don't think it really works that way. But many people are stimulated and inspired by his work. You might try searching around on the Tenniswarehouse message boards--he's gotten a ton of discussion pro and con there.
        In fairness to Oscar, the "wrap" finish can be considered the "cause" in that one needs to realize that that is where you want to end up on the finish. It's like saying if I want to drive from Chicago to New York, knowing that I want to end up in New York "causes" me to take a certain path. He is just contrasting this topspin producing finish with moving the racket directly along the line of the shot. This wrap finish is used by almost all pros and knowing that that is where their finish will be "causes" them to swing this way.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          I can't say that I know Oscar's method well enough to answer that in detail. Some of the things I know he believes about watching and modeling the pros, I agree with. It may be, though, that we study the pros we see different things. Think he is mistaken in believing that the "wrap" finish is a cause of anything. Or that there is no turn in the forehand preparation, only "ball stalking." Also I don't believe in miracle cures--for cancer or the forehand--his master tennis in two days idea. I just don't think it really works that way. But many people are stimulated and inspired by his work. You might try searching around on the Tenniswarehouse message boards--he's gotten a ton of discussion pro and con there.
          Also, to say that he advocates "no turn in the forehand preparation" is just flat out wrong. He is a strong advocate of the open stance (who isn't these days).
          Quote from his book: "Your body, coiled backwards from the waist up, releases that energy into the ball when you naturally unwind into the open position. It's similar to twisting a spring and then letting it return to its original position." Does that sound like someone advocating "no turn in the forehand preparation"? Be fair to your fellow teacher's, John.

Comment

To clarify, if you look at Oscar's MIT video, yeah, those guys are turning partially. By "turn" I mean the full almost universal pro turn with the arm stretched that is widely accepted now. If that wasn't clear I apologize.

As for the wrap, sorry I have to disagree. It s a consequence in my view. If you read the Myth of the Wrap I elaborate on the negative impact that "creating" it has on many players. I believe that if you extend through the swing and are relaxed, you will wrap naturally and would have to consciously tense to prevent this from happening. the type of wrap--over the shoulder, around the shoulder, or even lower is a function of the forward swing trajectory. Hope that clarifies.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7960 users online. 4 members and 7956 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X