Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is McEnroe flipless? No...

...absolutely not!
    Last edited by don_budge; 12-24-2012, 03:06 AM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Golf grip with the right hand...

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
      I'm a scratch golfer, and I can tell you that perhaps the most defining characteristic of a good golfer, is the ability to maintain the lag (angle formed between shaft and arms) in the downswing. Most poor golfers "cast" the club at the top of the swing...a huge club head speed drain...

Anyway, the point is, that a continental makes it very difficult to create this lag/rotational model in the forward swing..
      10splayer...when you place your right hand on the golf club (I am assuming that you are right handed) where does the V of you forefinger and your thumb lay on the handle of your tool...to the left of center, in the middle or to the right of center?
      Last edited by don_budge; 12-24-2012, 03:30 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        10splayer...when you place your right hand on the golf club (I am assuming that you are right handed) where does the V of you forefinger and your thumb lay on the handle of your tool...to the left of center, in the middle or to the right of center?
        Yeah, I think i know where you're going with this. A weaker grip makes it more difficult to maintain angle in the downswing...The "release" will have to be a little sooner, in order to square the clubface. However, it doesn't really refute my original statement.

Here is a question for you DB? If "lag" is good in the golf swing, (universally accepted) and a good grip makes this easier, why would one use a forehand grip that makes lag difficult?

Comment

Answer the question...

Yeah, I think i know where you're going with this. A weaker grip makes it more difficult to maintain angle in the downswing...The "release" will have to be a little sooner, in order to square the clubface. However, it doesn't really refute my original statement.

Here is a question for you DB? If "lag" is good in the golf swing, (universally accepted) and a good grip makes this easier, why would one use a forehand grip that makes lag difficult?
          ...in my most reverberating McEnroe voice! Where is the "V" 10splayer? I will answer your question which is an outstanding one. As a scratch golfer you of all people are going to appreciate my answer.
          Last edited by don_budge; 12-24-2012, 03:57 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge

Comment

...in my most reverberating McEnroe voice! Where is the "V" 10splayer? I will answer your question which is an outstanding one. As a scratch golfer you of all people are going to appreciate my answer.
            right shoulder

Comment

Your forehand grip?

right shoulder
              Where is the "V" on your forehand grip?
              don_budge

Comment

Where is the "V" on your forehand grip?
                I use a mild semi western.

Comment

Very interesting thoughts...

10splayer...I use a slightly weaker grip in my golf swing with my right hand. I play tennis left handed...I am not sure if this has anything to do with anything.

But tell me...do you think that your golf grip is on the "strong" side or is that the norm. Have golf grips strengthened in you opinion in "modern" golf? It appears to me on the cover of Hogan's book "Five Fundamental Lessons" that his grip is somewhat or marginally weaker than yours. Is that true?

Thanks so much for participating in this discussion...I really needed someone to bounce these questions off of.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 12-24-2012, 04:23 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge

Comment

10splayer...I use a slightly weaker grip in my golf swing with my right hand. I play tennis left handed...I am not sure if this has anything to do with anything.

But tell me...do you think that your golf grip is on the "strong" side or is that the norm. Have golf grips strengthened in you opinion in "modern" golf. It appears to me on the cover of Hogan's book "Five Fundamental Lessons" that his grip is somewhat or marginally weaker than yours. Is that true?

Thanks so much for participating in this discussion...I really needed someone to bounce these questions off of.
                    Yes I do believe that conventional thinking (on the teaching side) has agreed that to error on the side of a stronger grip is better than weak. However, I think most instructors frown when the grip gets so strong that it shuts the club face at the top.
                    Last edited by 10splayer; 12-24-2012, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Continental for the speed hand?

Yes I do believe that conventional thinking (on the teaching side) has agreed that to error on the side of a stronger grip is better than weak. However, I think most instructors frown when the grip gets so strong that it shuts the club face at the top.
                      It seems to me that the grip for the speed hand on the golf club is closer to continental than anything else. Don't worry 10splayer...this is not some semantical lair or trap. I am trying to understand something about the role of the wrist in the tennis swing by trying to compare something that I understand about the role of the wrist in the golf swing. Your information has been most helpful and now I am going to shovel some more of the white stuff that nature was so kind to deposit on top of us here...while I am gripping the shovel I will be trying to get my head around an idea that is festering in my noodle.

I will see you back at "My thoughts on the McEnroe forehand" and your input has been most helpful.
                      don_budge

Comment

It seems to me that the grip for the speed hand on the golf club is closer to continental than anything else. Don't worry 10splayer...this is not some semantical lair or trap. I am trying to understand something about the role of the wrist in the tennis swing by trying to compare something that I understand about the role of the wrist in the golf swing. Your information has been most helpful and now I am going to shovel some more of the white stuff that nature was so kind to deposit on top of us here...while I am gripping the shovel I will be trying to get my head around an idea that is festering in my noodle.

I will see you back at "My thoughts on the McEnroe forehand" and your input has been most helpful.
                        Well, right back at you DB. I always enjoy your posts, even if sometimes we don't always see similar things. Happy holidays.

Comment

Weaker grip and maintaining lag...

I don't believe that weaker grip makes it more difficult to maintain angle in the downswing...it is only that there is less of it.

In answer to your question..."If "lag" is good in the golf swing, (universally accepted) and a good grip makes this easier, why would one use a forehand grip that makes lag difficult?"

Lag is good in both tennis and golf swings. In golf the ball is standing still and this may account for the more lag and greater angle. In tennis the ball is moving and spinning and so are you...it may be an interesting theory that less lag with higher rate of acceleration might improve control without hindering power so much. More efficient use of all of the levers.
                          don_budge

Comment

I don't believe that weaker grip makes it more difficult to maintain angle in the downswing...it is only that there is less of it.

In answer to your question..."If "lag" is good in the golf swing, (universally accepted) and a good grip makes this easier, why would one use a forehand grip that makes lag difficult?"

Lag is good in both tennis and golf swings. In golf the ball is standing still and this may account for the more lag and greater angle. In tennis the ball is moving and spinning and so are you...it may be an interesting theory that less lag with higher rate of acceleration might improve control without hindering power so much. More efficient use of all of the levers.
                            I'm not a golf pro, but have a decent understanding on how these things work...Pretty sure you're incorrect about the relationship between a weaker grip and maintaining lag. There is a very important relationship between the two. Generally speaking, anything that promotes an "open" clubface at the top, whether it be a weak grip, or a cupped wrist, will force a player to throw the club earlier in the downswing to square it.

Conversely, a strong grip, will promote a "late" release (Lag) as the clubface is closed on the downswing.. In fact, if you look at players with really strong grips, Azinger, Duval, JB Holmes, Couples, they don't even release the club much with their hands. They maintain lag, rotate left, and hit power fades. I think in golf speak, this is referred to as a rotational release. At any rate, they will maintain a huge degree of lag....Principally because of the grip, and how it effects the face.

Anyway, we better not use the forum to talk about golf......These are tennis lovers.
                            Last edited by 10splayer; 12-25-2012, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Forget it...

My comments were about tennis. I was trying to relate something about the grip but you don't seem to understand me. You are not alone...I know that. When I spoke of a weaker grip I am referring to the continental that we were discussing. There is less lag than with stronger grips. I agree though with this much...this is not a discussion about golf. Forget it.
                              don_budge

Comment

Post 13 in this thread was insightful and just about says it all about grips and lag. This part of the post in particular I found really interesting:
                                Can you see how (in the old videos) how the tip of the racquet comes "inline" with the hand at the beginning of the swing? (no lag) Once this occurs/is established, both ends of the racquet (tip/handle) will move at the same speed forward.. This is a terribly inefficient way to create end point racquet head speed. - 10splayer
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2571 users online. 6 members and 2565 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X