Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luis Bruguera Interview: What Makes Spanish Coaches Different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luis Bruguera Interview: What Makes Spanish Coaches Different?

Would love to hear your thoughts on Chris Lewit's latest interview with Luis Bruguera, "What Makes Spanish Coaches Different?"

yes those eyes...it's too bad we don't all speak Spanish because no doubt he can elaborate with great depth and clarity...still great to get these glimpse of a legendary figure. I've been following the series and hope for more... you just don't find this kind of stuff elsewhere on tennis sites. bravo.

Comment

Spanish coaches care...

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      Would love to hear your thoughts on Chris Lewit's latest interview with Luis Bruguera, "What Makes Spanish Coaches Different?"
      Some time ago I went on a course taken by a Spanish coach who had been asked to come over to give us Brits an insight into Spanish coaching methods. I also know a former fitness trainer who used to work at one of the top academies in Barcelona. I've also sent a number of players to train in Spain as the next stage in their progression from the club where I coach. Last month another one of my players (aged 15) signed up for two years at a Spanish academy. I am hoping to send the girl who featured in the "backswings thread" some time ago to an academy in Murcia, Spain. This trio network has given me a some understanding of how coaches in Spain differ from those in the UK.

Luis hit the nail on the head in many respects. Spanish coaches are more involved with their students' progress. Their coaching is more rounded. Spanish coaches (except the big name coaches) don't actually make much money. They make much less than the typical Brit. What they do have is status. Coaching is considered a professional job and has respect in Spain. In the UK we have little status. Coaching is considered a bit of a joke as a way to make a living...one step up from a gardener in some respects. Despite this we do make more money than they do over in Spain. Coaching over here has become a very much about how much you can make and few coaches are interested in developing players.

All the students I send over to Spain all say the same thing: The Spanish coaches "care", they get involved. They'll get up early in the morning and travel to watch matches. Coaches in the UK will seldom sacrifice income to watch their charges play matches. This isn't true of all coaches in the UK, of course, but I suspect it could well represent a sizeable number.

I think Luis is right. If you have a stable of players, then work with all of them and see how good you can make each one. Some will be college players, some will progress to Spanish academies, some will give up tennis. But a coach should be judged on his work across ALL abilities and not solely with the talented...who are likely to become good players with or without you.

How do US coaches compare to the Spanish and British model? Are they rich? Do US coaches have status? How is the standard of training over there? I would love to know if someone would take the time to post about it.
      Last edited by stotty; 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7735 users online. 10 members and 7725 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X