My Thoughts on the McEnroe Forehand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Word of the day...it's dazzling. Especially in the context. A word wizard.

aplomb...self-confidence or assurance, especially in a demanding situation

Here's a real wizard for you glacierguy. Changing grips is often a path for self annihilation in such endeavors as tennis or golf. Even sword play. You want to cut your own throat...change grips. That is a path of no return. After a switch, sometimes the old comfy grip never quite feels the same. I watched my old tennis doubles partner go through such a thing. He was stuck with something resembling continental...but strange to say it worked for him.

Here's the thing. Here is the crux of your dillema on the forehand. It is the sword of McEnroe...you see. Both of these clown/wizards made their living going forwards. A ball in the mid court is an invitation to go to the net. That is what my old tennis coach taught me. He and Tilden, Hopman and all the rest. Go forwards young man. Instead of hitting a winner...play it smart. Play the percentages and play an approach shot. A shot that is designed to open up the court for you to volley. At most two volleys.

In your case the conversation can be one of technique until the cows come home. But try the path of least resistance and make it a tactical problem. You are sort of running in the outside lane here. Conventional wisdom is going to tell you to change your grip. But is that the wise thing to do at this point in the game. Get on top of the mid court ball early. Before it gets too high out of your wheel house. Crowd your opponent and take a bit of time away from him. Get on top of the net. It's a gamble. Look at McEnroe and Nastase. A fool's mission? I don't think so.

This continental grip game was designed to go forwards. Engineered to play the whole court. Force your opponent to play the entire court. Make him play your game. Slay him with a thousand cuts...at least two or three per point. It will add up to thousand by the time you are done with him.
    Nastase was a hero in my house. He was the embodiment of the phrase "men wanted to be him, and women wanted to be with him". Irresistible.

Comment

• McEnroe SABR

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Thanks so much for posting this. If you are successful one time( even in singles), it plays with their head!

Comment

• 1984 U. S. Open Men's Final...John McEnroe vs. Ivan Lendl

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          The day before this epic match I saw Lendl narrowly edge Pat Cash in five sets and watched John McEnroe take down Jimmy Connors in another five set tussle. The tennis was unbelievable...the first time in tennis history that all four men's semifinalists used oversized graphite racquets in a Grand Slam tournament. The great tennis journalist Bud Collins maintained that this was the greatest tennis ever. Martina Navratilova defeated Chris Evert in the best women's match that I have ever personally witnessed in three close sets. The tennis was deceptive to the untrained eye but I was in the eye of the storm during those times. It was partly due to the racquets...not that any of the participants deserved any less praise for their superlative efforts.

In the final McEnroe is repeatedly using the SABR...following his service return to the net behind the Lendl serve. An unbelievable tactic in those days. McEnroe in his finest hour. Straddling two eras of tennis. The wooden racquet/Classic era and the big racquet/Modern era. Truly a once in a life time accomplishment. His record in 1984 has been unmatched to this day in a field of incredibly deep tennis world.

stroke made a couple of interesting contributions to this thread and I believe it was he that suggested that the McEnroe style of play would be advantageous as a player aged. It's an interesting observation for the very reasons glacierguy is making his tactical decision to play this type of game. Hug the baseline. Get on top of the ball early taking it on the rise. Shorter backswing using the speed of the opponents shots back at them. Clean strikes and looking for the first opportunity to end things at the net. What a great match this was looking back in hindsight. He manhandled Lendl...something that didn't happen very often.

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• From February 2012

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            In Conclusion...The Continental Grips of John McEnroe

My journey into the continental gripped game as best exemplified and the latest example by the great American tennis player John McEnroe is now over. For the time being. At least as far as any more posting on the forum. For the meantime. I reserve the right to change my mind. I have reposted my thoughts and the video clips for my convenience and for yours if you find them of any interest. Now these threads can drift into obscurity with the rest of the words that I have chosen to write to you. To all of you...my good fellows and ladies too.

The journey was based upon a collage of comments, threads and posts that were viewed here on tennisplayer.net. Wilander vs. McEnroe, stroke, Does McEnroe Flip?, Karsten Popp...and on and on and on. It sort of morphed into a dream...even a hallucination at times. Connect the dots...seek the meaning of life. You will find that it is simple and simply put. Do your best. For yourself and by others. Have a little respect. For the past. For your elders. For life in general. Don't seek the path of least resistance...go for the one that is less travelled. Don't let the other guy outwork you. Don't let the other guy outthink you. Be aware!

I will continue to pursue playing tennis in this continental gripped manner and dedicate my efforts to all of the classic tennis players of the past. And to the great teachers of the past. Before the days of virtual reality...and virtual morality (my term). Before the days of "modern tennis". And to bottle. Keep an open mind everyone! Be free! Or die! I think it was stroke who opined that this manner of playing the game was best for seniors and I am wondering with the results that I have gotten if this style might not be revived except for the fact that conventional wisdom frowns upon it and from this point forwards there is only one way to play the modern game of tennis. Of course with all of the engineering of equipment, court surfaces and the brain washing with the politically correct mentality, it is a hard sell to think differently.

Well the herd is going one way and I the other. Nothing new under the sun...as I look out on the Swedish country side from my office window...like Johnny Depp in the The Secret Window. A winter's day or a winter's night. Depending upon where you are. I am here and you are there. Over and out...from yours truly...don_budge.
            Thank you glacierguy...stroke and doctorhl. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Over and out. Again. Yours truly...don_budge.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Merry Christmas DB and all.

Comment

• Thanks and Happy Christmas don_budge. I identify with the line in your original sign off, where you say you "will .... dedicate my efforts to all of the classic tennis players of the past". Now if I could do that, I would be content.

Comment

• Merry Christmas DB and to all of you guys as well.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8515 users online. 7 members and 8508 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X