Rod Laver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Laver

I like watching this clip. It's Borg versus Laver in 1976 at Hilton Head. Laver is past his best while Borg is yet to reach his. But that's not my point - Laver is my point.

Watch how Laver dangles his racket as he covers the court between shots. No getting back to a standard ready position for him. His unit turn, though always there, is barely perceptible at times. I can't think of any other world-class player, past or present, with this anomaly. If you go to 2:30 on the clip you'll even see Laver dangle the racket on the second volley and on the smash that follows.

I find this habit strange in a player so good. You'd think it would be a handicap to his game. The grip change from his forehand to his backhand is often done very late as a result of this dangling, also.

Could a player get away with such a habit today?

Great to hear Pancho Gonzales giving commentary, too.

Here's another clip of someone giving a walk thru on Laver's backhand.

Stotty

He did it purposefully to relax his fluid prep, but nobody would be able to do that today, with higher pace/rpms/distance to cover with less time.

Comment

He's a continental guy...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      I find this habit strange in a player so good. You'd think it would be a handicap to his game. The grip change from his forehand to his backhand is often done very late as a result of this dangling, also.
      I think he played with a continental grip...hence no grip change. Plus when they nickname you "The Rocket" you can pretty much do whatever you damn well please.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Laver's grip

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        I think he played with a continental grip...hence no grip change. Plus when they nickname you "The Rocket" you can pretty much do whatever you damn well please.
        From what I have read (though sources conflict), Laver had used an eastern for his forehand and a continental for his backhand. Laver himself actually recommended upcoming players should use eastern grips on both wings.

I use a continental grip for all my shots but do micro adjust slightly between forehand and backhand. There is always some grip change...
        Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7936 users online. 4 members and 7932 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X