geoffwilliams..."The Stringer's Corner"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geoffwilliams..."The Stringer's Corner"

geoffwilliams...please do the tennisplayer.net forum and its readers a favor and start a thread of your own and simply add to it when you are inspired. There is only room for 26 threads on the front page and there are 6 permanent "Sticky" items. Currently you have 8 threads on the front page that you have started. Between you and Sticky that is well over 50% of the available space on the first page.

Your thoughts are just as important as any one else's, but you are taking up more real estate than I think you are entitled to. If you consolidate your thoughts under a single thread of your own the following threads would reappear on the front page of the tennisplayer.net forum which are deserving of their own life on the front page for as long as the traffic deems it.

A New Year's Serve
    Offensive and defensive two handed backhands
    What racket is Jeff using`
    Tour Portraits: Rafa
    The Trophy Position
    Luis Bruguera Interview: What makes Spanish Coaches Different.

Who knows...you may want to publish your thoughts at one point and this addition to your organization may help you in your future endeavors. From the forum's standpoint it would give reader's a convenient place to ask the resident stringing and equipment expert a question. Plus all of your information would be in one place making it easy for your readers to find a favorite post or thought. Thanks for your consideration and your uniquely interesting contributions.
    Last edited by don_budge; 12-29-2012, 02:05 AM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

My observations/thoughts are only as valuable as the gen pop thinks they are. (If a thread like this was up on tw, it would be deleted as a personal attack, no matter how politely couched.) I find it ironic, that you put up a thread telling me that I'm putting up too many threads. It's called post in any of those, and that thread pops up in first place.

I guess I won't post the thread about becoming a lull master. Or the one about jam master, finish master, injury treatments, massage for tennis, league play, fixing your serve, strategy in match play, shoe inserts, ultra sound treatments, Psychological nutrition, cvac chambers, electricity injections, frequency treatments, electrical fields and how they affect our play, stringing methods;power, spin, control. My point of view is my own, only earned after 40 years of suffering in the wilderness, and analyzing video was a hobby since the 80s.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 12-29-2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Geoff,
      I for one, enjoy your posts and hope you continue to write them and have stopped reading the other gentlemen's contributions a long time ago. If there is a problem with real estate I think John should chime in but just my two cents is that if you are writing on different subjects than you would start a different thread each time, no?
      David

Comment

Thanks! I live in Oakland, a mile from where the real Don Budge grew up. I play at the courts named for him, the don budge courts, on Shattuck/60th st in Oakland, ca. They are known as the Bushrod courts. http://www.google.com/imgres?q=bushr...9,r:0,s:0,i:87

The last time I was there, three young black guys came onto our court and said, "Those are our balls.", sauntered onto our court, in the middle our our match, bent over, and started taking our balls. Their pants were down below their rear ends. There is a pick up basketball court right next to the court, with all the conflict and noise that an Oakland pick up game can bolster, and violence, and a green field used by the local inner city football and soccer teams. The courts are dirty, cracked, and filled with leaves, and old. There is a sign, that says: Don budge courts. They are locally known as a different name. If I were to play don budge, at the same age as I am, 56, and he were 56, I would beat him with a modern game, and equipment, against his hacker game from the old days. And I am just a blue collar 4.5 with a heavy ball game. That's how far the game has come since then. The people who say other wise, have not studied video like I have since the 80s. He and Gilbert, are the only men who made it out of Oakland. It's a sad town, and when I went to school, there were four dead out of my high school over various disagreements. My guitar was stolen by a guy who I loaned it to, and I had to answer to my mother. The school security did nothing. The oakland cops do nothing if you are not connected. That school was bull dozed, and had no athletic track, but I was on the track team, and held the mile record, although it was and had been an all black school for decades. The only reason I held the record, was my ability to endure a great deal of pain, not due to speed, or athletic talent. That school won the state of Cal. championship, with four teenagers, who could all run 9.6 in the hundred yard dash (not 100meters). It had 1300 students and went up against ca. schools with over 30,000. How is that possible that an inner city scum school could do that with not even a track to run on? From poverty comes will. Ask all the poor players all over the world who make it why they made it and they will say the same thing: I love the game. I work like a demon. And that's who I speak to here. To all you who love the game and work like demons: "Geoff Williams sees you. I know you and I want to thank you."
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 12-30-2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Geoff's very own thread.

Geoff, you're a great bloke. No one else on the forum has your expertise when it comes to strings, rackets...and equipment in general. The forum can make great use of it. You are the resident expert...no question here.

I actually don't think don_budge's post is that outlandish. You could have a thread titled something like "tennis equipment" which you could bounce back to the top of the thread list whenever you wanted to add something new. As time goes by you could direct members to relevant posts in the thread to save you answering the same question over and over. I think this would be a great idea.

Sure, any posts not a about equipment would require a separate thread...Studini is right on that one.

You might give it some thought, Geoff. It would be great thread to have revolving over and over on the forum. Useful for all of us.

Have a great New Year, Geoff!
          Last edited by stotty; 12-31-2012, 09:13 AM.
          Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7753 users online. 8 members and 7745 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X