Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imho!!!!!

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
    You can visibly see Mac and Laver changing or resettling their grips at times in some clips. Minuscule changes...but they seem to be changing....or resettling...not sure which.
    Without a doubt...I think you are right about this. Due to the multiplicity of variations of shots that these guys play or played...they will adjust their grips...as you put it minuscule...which is of course a feature of the classic style of tennis.

Modern tennis players are playing the same shot over and over and as a rule they are not changing their grips. I perceive this to be a weakness in the modern tennis player with a lack of flexibility in playing style. Along will come another McEnroe or Mecir who is coached by a coach who understands the fundamentals as spelled out by Bill Tilden and learn how to exploit those big looping forehands that we have become so fond and admiring of.
    Last edited by don_budge; 01-11-2013, 01:10 AM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Is it or isn't it?

This blog has a photo of Mecir hitting a forehand, and at the point of contact. It's a front view. You can click on the image to blow up the photo. It's still hard to call it for sure but it's definitely not full eastern. It's the best we have to go on so far...

I was going to upload it to the forum but then considering it may be subject to copyright.

Here's the link...your verdicts please.

Sorry, I had dropped out of the line and was limping in back play for a while there. But after a hit of magic spray and a whack of benedine ...
      Stotty

Comment

ÖÖÖöööhhhh!

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        Here's the link...your verdicts please.

http://playedharddonegood.blogspot.c...s-bestest.html
        My verdict...that is a full blown continental...if I ever saw one. Just like I thought. I would be willing to bet that he didn't change the grip to hit his two handed backhand either which would account for some the characteristics of that swing. Any two handed backhand experts care to take a stab at that one? What a sweet backhand this guy had...superb angles yet able to go down the line as well. Perhaps his left hand was continental on the backhand as well. That may be an interesting question...what were his grips on his backhand?

Don't worry though...I am not going to start a "My Thoughts on the Miloslav Mecir Forehand" thread. Nice find Stotty!

How about that babe-alicious with Yannick Noah? If you blow up her pic you can see that she has a dolphin tattoo on her derriere. Now that's cute...don't you think so. I thought that I recognized her...I used to go out with her or some reasonable facsimile. Come on Yannick...smoking reefer before matches. Not exactly performance enhancing...unless you are Jamaican or some other exotic cat. French Camaroonian...or something like that. Like WOW...man. Far out.
        Last edited by don_budge; 01-11-2013, 01:47 AM.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Hold your horses...old bean!

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          My verdict...that is a full blown continental...if I ever saw one. Just like I thought. Don't worry though...I am not going to start a "My Thoughts on the Miloslav Mecir Forehand" thread. Nice find Stotty!
          Steady on...look where the heel of the hand is...behind the handle. We need some other verdicts here....or let's call in John Yandell to arbitrate.

Sorry, I had dropped out of the line and was limping in back play for a while there. But after a hit of magic spray and a whack of benedine ...

10splayer, bottle, tennis_chiro, Klacr, Geoff, jbill....anyone else...your votes please!
          Last edited by stotty; 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM.
          Stotty

Comment

Left hand

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            What a sweet backhand this guy had...superb angles yet able to go down the line as well. Perhaps his left hand was continental on the backhand as well. That may be an interesting question...what were his grips on his backhand?
            The left hand is not continental...eastern....his right hand is continental though.

See the image in the website. Click on the image to expand it.

Czech Miloslav Mecir played tennis during the 1980s where he competed against Mats Wilander, Stefan Edberg, & Ivan Lendl. Olympic Gold Medal winner in 1988.
            Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7831 users online. 4 members and 7827 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X