Question on Stringing Machines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Stringing Machines!

I'm looking for a response from our resident equipment guru, Geoff Williams, but some of the rest of you who string should have some input here too.

I have a former student who is a top nationally ranked 14 y.o. and about to make the plunge to get a machine and start stringing her own rackets. Labor is getting expensive, even with free strings. I don't string.

Couple of questions:

What is a good machine for her to get? I realize there are some very cheap machines available, but I'm wondering what is the requirement to have a serviceable machine that enables a newbie to learn to string acceptably for someone who is playing at world class level (at least for juniors). Funds are limited so cost is a factor so the multi-thousand dollar power machines are out. And I do realize that it is insulting to suggest a beginner can replace a skilled stringer, but let's say get to the point she can string a useable racket in about twice the time it might take a skilled stringer (30 to 40 minutes instead of 15 to 20). And about how many string jobs are going to be wasted before she starts to get enough of a feel to like the string jobs she is doing? What is a good course of action to learn how to string. Very fast learner and one of the most talented players I have ever seen, although I fear dad may end up doing the stringing. Geoff, I know you will have the answer to the equipment question. A little more subjective question on how long it will take to be an effective stringer. But it should be simpler than the days when my old coach, Jerry Alleyne, used to spend his evenings in the hotel lobby on the South American tour stringing his rackets by hand with nothing more than a couple of awls and a pair of pliers.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

don

I used to import and sell machines...and strings...mainly from Taiwan...but also Germany.

You need to go for a well built machine. Some of the lesser brands run into problems after a couple of hundred string jobs.

Gamma are good:

Shop top-notch, quality tennis and pickleball gear at GAMMA Sports. Shop racquets, balls, grips, court gear, stringing machines, and more. Find pickleball paddles for beginners to advanced players. Browse our men and women performance and off-court apparel. Don't miss our new arrivals and deals. Join Team Gamma today!

Something like this would be fine. Manual is the best bet if they intend to take it to tournaments. Electric offers greater precision but you always have to be near a power point. Better to go manual crank and not drop weight. They are easier to operate and use. Drop weights are dirt cheap, though, if the budget is really tight.

My son took two hours to complete his first string job. Fifty restrings later and he's now down to twenty minutes. My wife can do a restring in twelve minutes. I believe the record is 9 minutes.

I used to import from Exthree, but I'm not sure you can get these in the States. They were great, well-made machines with no reliability issues. I have a feeling Alpha Tennis may have supplied them once in the US...not sure.

I'm sure Geoff can tell you more. I have been out of the business for ten years.

Don't go too cheap. It simply isn't worth it. I imported from Eagnas for a short time...terrible machines...fraught with poor engineering and reliability problems.

Good luck.
    Last edited by stotty; 01-08-2013, 01:58 AM.
    Stotty

Comment

I have a former student who is a top nationally ranked 14 y.o. and about to make the plunge to get a machine and start stringing her own rackets. Labor is getting expensive, even with free strings. I don't string.

Couple of questions:

What is a good machine for her to get?

First of all, she should buy a used machine, a stand alone model. You can get a good one for $500.

I realize there are some very cheap machines available, but I'm wondering what is the requirement to have a serviceable machine that enables a newbie to learn to string acceptably for someone who is playing at world class level (at least for juniors). Funds are limited so cost is a factor so the multi-thousand dollar power machines are out. And I do realize that it is insulting to suggest a beginner can replace a skilled stringer, but let's say get to the point she can string a useable racket in about twice the time it might take a skilled stringer (30 to 40 minutes instead of 15 to 20). And about how many string jobs are going to be wasted before she starts to get enough of a feel to like the string jobs she is doing?

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]None if she: learns the knots, and pings out the mains before stringing the crosses, and strings crosses top down, and does not miss a weave, and takes under consideration: knot tension loss, string for her frame/game/style

http://www.protennis.us/US%20Open%20...20Analysis.pdf stringing by pros

Feds' string a lings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1cXy-6Wz0 bulky knot
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...x3iVPZl_c&NR=1 tighten knots
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=wBMEP6WjYR0 starting knot
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-X8qYGHOdmQ pc knot
      [/COLOR][/COLOR]
      What is a good course of action to learn how to string.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Read the above. Also to adapt for tension loss: string top three crosses tighter, and bottom four tighter. Lower tension in the range she notches the mains, where that notch is deepest, lower the crosses by experimenting up/down a bit to find out how she likes it the most, and the first six mains in an 16 x 19, lower than perim., or the first 8 in an 18 x 20.[/COLOR]

Very fast learner and one of the most talented players I have ever seen, although I fear dad may end up doing the stringing. Geoff, I know you will have the answer to the equipment question. A little more subjective question on how long it will take to be an effective stringer. But it should be simpler than the days when my old coach, Jerry Alleyne, used to spend his evenings in the hotel lobby on the South American tour stringing his rackets by hand with nothing more than a couple of awls and a pair of pliers.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

Comment

Drop weight

GW,

What do you think of Drop weight machines?

Comment

Alpha Revo

Don,

I have an Alpha Revo 4000 machine that I like a lot. It's a mechanical crank. It strings very consistently and is a very sturdy, solid machine. I believe with a drop weight machine it is more difficult to pull consistent tension. I think you can get the Alpha Revo for about $500 - $600. I learned that I had to keep the clamps well oiled to keep them working correctly. The company manual didn't say much about that.

Jim Bill

Comment

Technical Support

Don,

I forgot to mention that customer service and technical support at Alpha Sports (where I purchased my Alpha Revo 4000) which I believe now goes by New Tech Tennis in Austin, Texas, is superb, very helpful with any question or problem.

Jim Bill

Comment

Don,

jbill is absolutely right. I sold the Alpha Revo 4000 myself. It's a Taiwanese machine made by a company called Exthree. I sold the same machine under my own brand name here in the UK. I sold many of these machines and never had one single return or one disappointed customer. They are well engineered and built to last for years...rock solid.

Your student cannot go wrong with this machine, trust me, I sold many.

jbill is right also when he says drop weights are less accurate. They are also slower and fiddly to use compared to manual crank machines.

Manuals are always scant and indecipherable. You HAVE to be taught how to string by an experienced stringer. After being guided through the process once or twice, she will be good to go on her own.
              Last edited by stotty; 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM.
              Stotty

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the great information. I knew I could count on you for some help.

don

Comment

used machines

Tennis Machines Inc sells used rebuilt macihines at a good price. They also sell parts for most machines.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3123 users online. 6 members and 3117 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X