Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum Februrary 2013: Petra Kvitova Forehand

Petra Kvitova Forehand

Here is one of the major weapons in women's pro tennis, Petra Kvitova's forehand, and the sequences show some of the reasons why!

As the game evolves the top women's players are incorporating more and more of the top men's elements--and any club player can learn from Petra. Watch the immediate start of the turn. But especially the stretch of the left arm across the body. It's still not as far and as hard as most of the men but you can see the result is still a great shoulder turn, plus 90 degrees to the net.

You can also see Petra's ability to hit from multiple stances, including a classic neutral stance on the third ball. Petra finishes many forehands over the shoulder, which is more common with the women. But watch her wiper the finish on the second shot, as well as rotate her back shoulder through the swing until it is virtually pointing at the opponent--again an advanced element in the men's game.

Watch also how well she extends the swing outward to the other side--again a huge point for lower level players--and how this happens even on that wiper drive!

And now your additional analysis please!

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 10:11 AM.

Quicktime version

Petra Kvitova Forehand

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Jiggling

Love the micro steps as the ball is coming in, jiggling to get her feet in the perfect position to strike the ball. I try so hard to get my students to do this because it simply makes all the difference.

How does she play with so much of the hand hanging off the handle? Being old school I simply cannot do this.

Her flip looks enormous. As I peruse the stroke archive I ask myself, is McEnroe the only player that has ever been pretty much flipless?
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        Love the micro steps as the ball is coming in, jiggling to get her feet in the perfect position to strike the ball. I try so hard to get my students to do this because it simply makes all the difference.

How does she play with so much of the hand hanging off the handle? Being old school I simply cannot do this.

Her flip looks enormous. As I peruse the stroke archive I ask myself, is McEnroe the only player that has ever been pretty much flipless?
        Interesting, because i see very little "flip" at all... As the hands break apart, the arm begins to rotate externally/ forearm supinates (look at the position of the forearm which turns up towards the sky). Also, notice the butt cap of the racquet which turns toward the ball...If you compare this sequence with a guy like fed, he does essentially the opposite. When the arms separate, the hitting arm rotates internally, forearm rotates internally (downward), and the butt cap is angles away (on a slight diagonal) from the ball..From this position, the racquet/arm has to flip to set up the hitting arm position.. Petra essentially has the hitting arm structure set up before she even drops the racquet in the loop.

Comment

I am not seeing much flip either. It looks like she is bordering on a Type 1 forehand which Brian describes as

"By that I mean that the tip of the racquet, rather than pointing at the rear fence is actually pointing behind the player toward the side fence. "

Blake

Comment

wrist layback

Sorry, my mistake, I was referring to the wrist layback component.
            Stotty

Comment

The Flipping Flip...

I propose abolishing the term due to the inherent misunderstanding surrounding its use. An unnecessary and misleading term.

Let's call it "jiggling".
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Flippin 'eck

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                I propose abolishing the term due to the inherent misunderstanding surrounding its use. An unnecessary and misleading term.

A mistake...no misunderstanding...don't abolish a perfectly good word on account of Stotty after a party and a couple of late night drinks. Jiggling on other hand...
                Stotty

Comment

Ugg, it's just a word (coined by Gordon) to describe an action. And it is pretty descriptive of what happens.

Comment

129 kilometers per hour

129 kilometers per hour of a forehand was quoted today during the Kvitova's march
                    Last edited by johnyandell; 03-06-2013, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
                      Interesting, because i see very little "flip" at all... As the hands break apart, the arm begins to rotate externally/ forearm supinates (look at the position of the forearm which turns up towards the sky). Also, notice the butt cap of the racquet which turns toward the ball...If you compare this sequence with a guy like fed, he does essentially the opposite. When the arms separate, the hitting arm rotates internally, forearm rotates internally (downward), and the butt cap is angles away (on a slight diagonal) from the ball..From this position, the racquet/arm has to flip to set up the hitting arm position.. Petra essentially has the hitting arm structure set up before she even drops the racquet in the loop.
                      I agree completely with everything said here.

Comment

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
                        129 kilometers per hour of a forehand was quoted today during the Kvitiva's march
                        Brian pointed out in his articles on the type 3 that what seperates it(the resulting produced shot) is the combination of speed and spin, the true "heavy" ball.

Comment

Clarification

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                          Brian pointed out in his articles on the type 3 that what seperates it(the resulting produced shot) is the combination of speed and spin, the true "heavy" ball.
                          I just provided A number for Kvitova (capitalization INTENDED).
                          I am NOT sure whether it was high enough-probably around 80 miles per hour
                          I agree that majority of her forehands do NOT have topspin
                          Some good table would be like this
                          a speed and topspin by Stosur vs a speed and topspin by Kvitova.
                          I have only ONE of FOUR numbers in this comparison
                          Last edited by julian1; 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Words...There are none...the meaning is for you to choose

Foreigner Suite...Cat Stevens

There are no words, I can use
                            Because the meaning still leaves for you to choose
                            And I couldn't stand to let them be abused, by you.

Dreams I had just last night
                            Made me scared, white with fright
                            But I'm over to that sunnyside road
                            Over to that sunnyside road

Fortunes come and fortunes go
                            But things get better babe, that's one thing I know
                            And I'm over to that sunnyside road

I have a friend that I have met
                            Who gives me love and a certain respect
                            Just a little respect, everybody needs just a little respect
                            That means you. . .you...

And in a little while our love will spread
                            To you
                            Ain't no matter who inside this world you know
                            There'll he someone who will love you just for who you are
                            Really are

Dreams I had just last night
                            Made me worried to face up to the light
                            But I'm over to that sunnyside road

Come on now it's freedom calling
                            Come on over and find yourself
                            Come on in and remind yourself

Oh darling, you see my face
                            But it's in my heart that's where it's taking place
                            And I couldn't stand to let it go to waste
                            Can you ...

Oh love, sweet blue love
                            No man can ever get enough
                            But maybe one day we'll all die in love
                            Will you . .. oh love, sweet love, my... love

Oh babe, understand
                            Take my love that's all I have at hand
                            Please say you will ... don't say you can't
                            Oh will you will you will you

The moment you walked inside my door
                            I knew' that I need not look no more
                            I've seen many other girls before, ah but darling
                            Heaven must've programmed you

The moment you fell inside my dreams
                            I realised all I had not seen
                            I've seen many other girls before, ah hot darling
                            Heaven must've programmed you

You can live in the largest house
                            And eleven apartments too
                            Run your own private plane
                            And a boat in malibu

But 'till you know' deep down what inside you really need
                            Well I love you baby, ooh my dear
                            And I think about you sometimes
                            But when you're with me boy it chokes my mind

Come on over and find yourself
                            Come on in and remind yourself

Man must fight for freedom sure that's what most other people would say
                            Look for a body to lead them but there's too many to lead them away.
                            Why wait until it's your time to die before you learn what you were born to do'?
                            Come on now it's freedom calling but there's only one freedom for you.
                            Love, love boy...
                            And I can't wait to be with you tomorrow night.

Won't you give me your word that you won't laugh
                            Cos you've been a saving grace to me
                            And I'd hate to face a day without you around
                            My life would be without sound

Love, love, love, love must've made you on a sunday
                            Cos you taste to me as good as God made honey taste babe
                            And the sky all glistens with gold
                            When you're talking to me
                            And the whirling wind turns to song
                            Why it sets my soul free

Love, love. love. love must've made you on a sunday

There are no words. I can use
                            And I couldn't stand to let them be abused, by you

Unless you happen to be a member of tennisplayer.net...unless you just so happened to read the article by Dr. Brian Gordon...unless you just so happened to understand what he meant by the flip action that he says occurs in Type 3 forehands...unless all of these conditions are met...I guarantee you that 99.9% of all tennis teachers and tennis students will not truly understand just what it is...just what exactly you are talking about. I find tennisplayer.net to be a great resource for tennis information and discussion and the like but the one thing that it is not...is the Holy Grail of Tennis. Things tend to a bit more nebulous than that.

A dictionary definition of the word flip might say something to the effect that to flip is to "turn over or cause to turn over with a sudden sharp movement" which may or may not be adequate to convey an action that is taking place in the "modern forehand" or even forehands that existed before you were born. This is a dangerous term in my book...I would never ever tell a tennis student of mine to "flip" their forehand. Too much connotation would be attributed to the wrist action of the stroke and to advise one to flip ones wrist is inadvisable.

That being said...if any or all of the readers here on the forum are comfortable using that word in describing the action of the forehand groundstroke in tennis that is well by me. But when you leave the confines of this forum I believe that most tennis experts will give you a somewhat cross eyed look if you advise someone to flip their forehand.

Anyways...listen to the song. You might just learn something from it as well. Remember...if you go anywhere in the world, particularly outside of your little comfort zone...if you wish to speak to someone you must define your terms. That is...if you wish to be understood.

"There are no words. I can use
                            And I couldn't stand to let them be abused, by you"
                            don_budge
                            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Flip

To some extent

post #1249 is addressing "The FLIP"

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7761 users online. 11 members and 7750 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X