Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The key to all power: Lag and drag.

Lag and drag and snap it back.

The key to creating power depends on a two stage process. The key will unlock power for your ground strokes, serves, overheads. The first stage is coiling your core. This sideways unit turn is what we use to coil our power, our core. All top players have this unit sideways turn in common. This first stage, the ground stroke unit turn is crucial to creating power. We turn sideways to the net, with an advanced or normal split step. The advanced split is when we land off the split with our feet positioned in a T, with the leading foot facing the side fence, and the planted foot facing the net on landing. In a normal split step the feet are parallel on landing and unit turns are made with a double pivot. This all important sideways turn coils our upper body in preparation to then release the coil. Speed of racquet is created by the second stage of the process. We “lag” and “drag” the frame. We lag by first opening hips and shoulders as the frame snaps backwards. Our hips open up first, driven by the legs off the rear planted foot, followed by the shoulders, and then the atp type III shot, our frame goes into the “snap back” or “flip” backwards, as our legs drive our weight forwards, and the hips have already opened up first. The snap back technique is the key to power in most strokes. So our frame is then going backwards, as our whole weight goes forwards into the uncoil stage. The same thing occurs on the back hand, like a Frisbee thrower, and the serve, like snapping a whip, and the over head. This lag and drag, creates vicious whip lash, in ground strokes, over heads, serves, and even volleys if we have time. This two stage process of weight transfer forwards, and the whip lash backwards, is crucial to developing power in all our strokes.

A common error for players under match pressure is to omit one or both stages, or shorten them. If we never coil sideways in the first place, with our shoulders and hips facing fully sideways, this will diminish our ability to open up into a powerful uncoil, as the abbreviated unit turn, is not fully coiled and nothing is used to hit into but your arm. This is the main reason why so many players end up arming shots, which causes a lot of injuries as well as unforced errors. This goes true for ground strokes and serves, over heads and volleys. Many players still attempt to play hard in matches, and swing fast and hit too hard when there is nothing available to uncoil into. So they end up only using their arms and wrist flexion. They try to create power and make too many unforced errors. Their same swing in practice, is not made as hard or with as much muscle, and in a more relaxed no match pressure way, and they make that same shot without the same errors. Muscle players are especially vulnerable to an increased error percentage in match play. The hackers, who normally don’t unit turn anyway, don’t do anything differently in a match than they do in practices, as they don’t ever hit hard anyway. They can’t. So they settle for a consistent, no power, few errors game. A current model for excellent unit turns is Kei Nishikori. He coils sideways very well and uncoils very fast and relaxed.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-07-2013, 08:53 AM.

The snap back serve: Snap back creates weight/mass increase in your hand that then transfers into the ball.

Comment

Nice post Geoff. I would also add that the lag and drag needs to combined with a good contact point and extension through contact. Your one handed backhand is a fantastic example of combining lag and drag with a great contact point and extension through the shot with the arm and shoulder for power.

Your description nicely explains why Federer's fluid, relaxed style is ultimately so powerful - the way he uses his entire body to create coils and uncoils (lag and drag) that lead to great racket head speed. What the late David Foster Wallace referred to as a "liquid whip".

This is ultimately why I like tennis so much - because power doesn't come from brute force or strength but instead through chaining the body properly - which allows kids with proper technique to hit the ball harder than adults who are bigger and stronger.
      Last edited by jeffreycounts; 03-04-2013, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post
        Nice post Geoff. I would also add that the lag and drag needs to combined with a good contact point and extension through contact. Your one handed backhand is a fantastic example of combining lag and drag with a great contact point and extension through the shot with the arm and shoulder for power.

Your description nicely explains why Federer's fluid, relaxed style is ultimately so powerful - the way he uses his entire body to create coils and uncoils (lag and drag) that lead to great racket head speed. What the late David Foster Wallace referred to as a "liquid whip".

This is ultimately why I like tennis so much - because power doesn't come from brute force or strength but instead through chaining the body properly - which allows kids with proper technique to hit the ball harder than adults who are bigger and stronger.
        Listen to this guy. How many muscle bound players cannot hit for ****? Was playing next to a body builder guy yesterday, big black guy, who stopped his follow throughs so as to add power. Lots of strength, little result. Lag and drag creates massive power when done right. I am adding a lag/drag volley to my shots, a serve, a fh, an oh. Difficult to master but a lot of fun trying!

I also noticed the Federer serve motion, in slo mo, that he lags his hand in take back, pointing his wrist, downwards/forwards towards the net during the rise up to trophy, a bit, as he goes into leg knee bend coil, as Karlovic (And female: Goerges) does but in a less pronounced way. So I started doing it yesterday, and it allowed for far greater pop when timed right. The serve is a delicate thing, and the main reason why so many cannot serve well is the're arming the shot, with no liquid whip snap back, no lag and drag in a relaxed way. Fed is the king of relaxed lag and drag. ONly on his bh does he lack. He will often raise his hitting foot off bh, so that the heel rises just before contact, which degrounds him, a sign of a lack of confidence in any given shot. (Does it more often on a high ball to his bh, against Nadal.)

I would rework his bh, so that he stays grounded, and add the lag/drag snap back on it, and it would be far deadlier. HIs slice and bh volleys are deadly, due to their artful mastery of follow through and take back: given a short or deep intention. Slice is less prone to destruction with a raised hitting foot than topspin and flat drives. Fed's short game is among the best ever seen. Intentionally brings those two handers into net, with angled slices inside service line, and side spinning drops to fhs. A 90 sq. in. frame, 16 x 19, is effective on slice. More so than on top, esp. with gut/alu and string a lings.

The mythical heavy ball cannot be created by most women, due to their lack of the lag/drag techniques. F=ma and rpms are heavier with more frame speed liquid whip. I just don't understand why women can't be taught male strokes. Can anyone explain it?
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-04-2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffwilliams View Post
          Listen to this guy. How many muscle bound players cannot hit for ****? Was playing next to a body builder guy yesterday, big black guy, who stopped his follow throughs so as to add power. Lots of strength, little result. Lag and drag creates massive power when done right. I am adding a lag/drag volley to my shots, a serve, a fh, an oh. Difficult to master but a lot of fun trying!

I also noticed the Federer serve motion, in slo mo, that he lags his hand in take back, pointing his wrist, downwards/forwards towards the net during the rise up to trophy, a bit, as he goes into leg knee bend coil, as Karlovic (And female: Goerges) does but in a less pronounced way. So I started doing it yesterday, and it allowed for far greater pop when timed right. The serve is a delicate thing, and the main reason why so many cannot serve well is the're arming the shot, with no liquid whip snap back, no lag and drag in a relaxed way. Fed is the king of relaxed lag and drag. ONly on his bh does he lack. He will often raise his hitting foot off bh, so that the heel rises just before contact, which degrounds him, a sign of a lack of confidence in any given shot. (Does it more often on a high ball to his bh, against Nadal.)

I would rework his bh, so that he stays grounded, and add the lag/drag snap back on it, and it would be far deadlier. HIs slice and bh volleys are deadly, due to their artful mastery of follow through and take back: given a short or deep intention. Slice is less prone to destruction with a raised hitting foot than topspin and flat drives. Fed's short game is among the best ever seen. Intentionally brings those two handers into net, with angled slices inside service line, and side spinning drops to fhs. A 90 sq. in. frame, 16 x 19, is effective on slice. More so than on top, esp. with gut/alu and string a lings.

The mythical heavy ball cannot be created by most women, due to their lack of the lag/drag techniques. F=ma and rpms are heavier with more frame speed liquid whip. I just don't understand why women can't be taught male strokes. Can anyone explain it?
          There are a few women who hit very heavy. Serena Williams or Sam Stosur. Even Justine Henin and remember the name, Gabriela Sabatini (she'd probably get 3,000 rpm today with the strings).

Some things that contribute:

1) Women are smaller particular in the upper body. Tennis strokes, although the kinetic chain begins with the legs, is primarily a core/shoulder movement.
          It's like asking why a 16 year old talented male can't hit like Roger.

2) Men have testosterone which builds muscles. Although the % of fast twitch are the same for men and women, men just have more muscle mass. Given that, they can recruit more muscle fibers to hit the ball.

3) Women have more lower body issues. For example, women are about 6 times more likely to get an ACL injury. Jumping skills are not as well developed for women than men. The tennis effect is less leg drive for most women. So they hit a flatter ball and come off the ground much less than the men. Although women have legs strength that is basically equal to men in terms of overall body weight, they still have different upwards movement. (Why WNBA players can rarely dunk even if they are 6'3")

Given these and hip proportions, those may be the reasons why women prefer the pinpoint stance compared to men's platform (foot back stance). A women might have more trouble keeping the hips sideways and driving upwards. Stronger legs, core, and larger shoulder to hip ratio might help...for example Stosur or Henin.

Highly trained female athletes can come close if trained with the lower body (plyometric training) and strength training. Jumping can be significantly improved and ACL injuries reduced (what trainers do today). Or if their body type allows it...Stosur or Williams have relatively larger upper bodies than most women.

Also, women tend to lag men in most sports in terms of records. For example,
          Greta Waitz in 1980 set a world record for women that would break the men's record from 1935. Paula Radcliffe's world record in 2003 would break the men's 1963 record.

Given that, I think women will eventually put more spin on the ball. I think you are already seeing some do it. Christina McHale does use a flip Type 3 swing.
          When she was 14-15 years old she did not. But if you take the spin rates of women today, I bet it exceeds the average men's spin rate from 1980.

Sloane Stephens is another example. She uses a basic Type 3 swing. She probably produces higher spin rates than let's say a Maria Sharapova or Ana Ivanovic who use the Type 2 swing.

But how many, that is a good question. And there will always be a gap.
          Last edited by DougEng; 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffwilliams View Post

As mentioned, I've noted at least some of the younger WTA players are using Type 3 swings.

Also, differences in world records for men and women:

For running, the gap tends to be 5-10%
            For jumping, the gap tends to be 15-20%

that might be important in understanding gender differences.
            Last edited by DougEng; 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Very few, and none are now hitting over heads or serves like the men are or using snap back volley technique. Agassi started the swinging volley due to his inability to hit a good volley, and now it's transferred to the fh being used as an oh, turning a slam dunk into a jump shot. Even some men are foregoing oh now for high dropping fh.
              Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I hit some lag/drag snap back serves today that were near 120mph.
                Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-08-2013, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9327 users online. 17 members and 9310 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X