Learning to Win Through Practice Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to Win Through Practice Pressure

Would love to hear what you thought of Rod Heckelman's "Learning to Win Through Practice Pressure"

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Would love to hear what you thought of Rod Heckelman's "Learning to Win Through Practice Pressure"
    John,
    I wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed Rod's articles. I love to hear how other coaches are implementing their training philosophy. So often we discuss what the ideal looks like, but too rarely discuss what daily activities, priorities or processes are being implemented in getting our students closer to the ideal.

Greg Lumb
    InsideOut Tennis

Comment

Yeah Rod struck a note I really happen to share.

Comment

Well, nice to know we are on the same page then!!!

Comment

As a subtext...

Just gave a lesson to someone who was lucky enough to spend the last week in Palm Springs and watch all that great tennis...he noticed that everyone was hitting with tremendous topspin and, of course, wanted to implement that into his game. Even while staying there he took a lesson where the teaching pro asked him to try a more western grip and finish with the now popular "windshield wiper" follow through. I ask him how it was progressing and his response was, "I'm still working on it, but I have to admit I'm hitting most of the balls in the net and it is aggravating my arm a bit." Not wanting to burst his adventurist bubble, I told him that it's great to still be learning and trying new things, but maybe at this stage (stage meaning 72 years of age and a 2.5 player) he might want to try modifying his game to what would be more in tune for what he "can do," not what he "thinks he should do." It took about a half hour and he was back to having that steady, backboard like forehand, that has pretty good placement. We're not shelving the topspin, but just going to gradually introduce it to his forehand so that he can experience slowly a degree of success.
          I find this happens quite a bit, players trying to emulate the pros. Why not, there the best? But the truth is, they may be the best, but they might not be the best example. This journey with John will be fun as we discovery how the average player, (about 99% of the tennis population), learns to improve their game the best way they can. We're all learning everyday. Rod
          Last edited by RodHeckelman; 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Great article !

Who is this Rod H ? Get him out here on the East coast ! This approach (both articles) have already helped me. For all the right reasons. Man,he deserves a "raise" or fee increase. And I'll increase my candy bars for him to 3, read that three candy bars of his choice. Or a can of tennis balls. if not, let us all give him a rousing hand of applause. Just a terrific approach to what to do on a tennis court to Get BETTER !!!

Comment

Appreciated

Very kind words...it's been fun to share this material and ideas with others who are passionate about the game. Much more to come and I hope it will prove to be very enlightening and helpful. I do tour the country doing lectures for USPTA and will be in Florida in late May, then again at the World Conference in September in Orlando. The topics change depending on what their needs are, but I try to make myself available to everyone who attends these conferences and spend hours discussing new ideas on how players learn this game. Those exchanges are crucial as I am able to learn from those conversations as much as I am able to give.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9602 users online. 21 members and 9581 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X