Dynamic slot FH on high balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic slot FH on high balls

I have a bit of an issue with the "pat the dog" approach to the dynamic slot forehand. I noticed that on high balls, pros do not have their racquets face down during the forward swing. I have noticed that when I try to pat the dog on high balls I will miss or shank. What's more intuitive is to simply swing forward, and this is indeed what happens.

For example, on high balls, Djokovic will take his backswing outwards, as Rick Macci's latest video describes. But after the backswing is completed, the racquet goes straight forward without patting the dog, basically the reverse of the backswing (in the backswing the racquet is taken back outwards, in the forward swing it turns back inwards, but no pat the dog).

The reason I think the "dog is patted" on lower balls is simply because the racquet usually has a high takeback and must descend below the ball. But on high balls, the racquet is already at the right elevation and patting is unnecessary/harmful.

Thoughts?

Anyone going low to high on a high fh, will miss a lot of them long. High ball, high start hand, high follow through and even hit down on it. HIgh balls have to be contacted farther out front also, due to your arm bar length.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-14-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

High to High FH

We call this the high to high forehand. Depending where you are on the court you need different levels of lift (sometimes if you are closer to the net, no lift at all). You may also close the face slightly if as you get closer to the net.
      You will still get some stretch/shortening, just not a loop.

As a side note make sure to give yourself more space to hit a higher forehand.

Comment

Originally posted by vrc10s View Post
        We call this the high to high forehand. Depending where you are on the court you need different levels of lift (sometimes if you are closer to the net, no lift at all). You may also close the face slightly if as you get closer to the net.
        You will still get some stretch/shortening, just not a loop.

As a side note make sure to give yourself more space to hit a higher forehand.

Good points! On target.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by tsonga View Post
          I have a bit of an issue with the "pat the dog" approach to the dynamic slot forehand. I noticed that on high balls, pros do not have their racquets face down during the forward swing. I have noticed that when I try to pat the dog on high balls I will miss or shank. What's more intuitive is to simply swing forward, and this is indeed what happens.

For example, on high balls, Djokovic will take his backswing outwards, as Rick Macci's latest video describes. But after the backswing is completed, the racquet goes straight forward without patting the dog, basically the reverse of the backswing (in the backswing the racquet is taken back outwards, in the forward swing it turns back inwards, but no pat the dog).

The reason I think the "dog is patted" on lower balls is simply because the racquet usually has a high takeback and must descend below the ball. But on high balls, the racquet is already at the right elevation and patting is unnecessary/harmful.

Thoughts?
          You are correct. The typical rally drive is a topspin arc. On a high ball inside the baseline, the arc is less pronounced, even almost flat. Adding extra spin with the closed racquet face is fine from the baseline but not from closer in on the high balls. See the plenty of good comments also here. A high-to-high or high-to-elbow swing is preferred depending on exactly what's needed. The backswing loop is smaller and flatter. Extension through the ball is greater and away from the body. I prefer Federer's high-to-elbow since it keeps the ball down and adds some spin (wiper stroke). High-to-high has a greater chance of going long.

Doug
          Last edited by DougEng; 03-14-2013, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsonga View Post

Thoughts?
            You're describing more of a "dip drive" type of shot. Without oversimplifying (each ball is different, with different variable, postion, height, etc) the general equation would be to shallow the path, and apply ample hand and arm rotation. (wiper) This will tend to produce more of a flat trajectory, BUT with a nice roll of spin. In fact, this is one of the keys to learning this shot (IMO) i.e. flattening the trajectory without hitting a "flat" ball.
            Last edited by 10splayer; 03-14-2013, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Very interesting issue how the dog pat changes. Worth an article at some point!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7748 users online. 8 members and 7740 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X