The key to power: snap back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The key to power: snap back

The snap back fh has been covered, calling it the "flip".

We have not covered the snap back volley, that all top players use on sitters or balls above the level of the net. It's a very short snap back, like cracking a short whip, and you can develop unreal power off the fh, but those who also master the bh can do it as well.

Originally posted by geoffwilliams View Post
    The snap back fh has been covered, calling it the "flip".

We have not covered the snap back volley, that all top players use on sitters or balls above the level of the net. It's a very short snap back, like cracking a short whip, and you can develop unreal power off the fh, but those who also master the bh can do it as well.
    Hi geoff,

You're not saying what "snap back" on the volley is exactly. There is no counter rotation of joints going on when volleying, no series of events - no SSC...as there is nothing to flip. So what do you mean by "snap back". Do you mean simply snapping the wrist on volleys?
    Last edited by stotty; 03-15-2013, 11:44 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

A short sharp snap back, when your weight is going fowards into the volley, so the wrist pops back wards and cracks the whip. Vicious acceleration, like all the top double teams use on sitters, high balls, and even low fh volleys, once you master it. Of course, on most low balls, you want to become one unit on the volley and use your body weight to block it. It's not a swing, but a short sharp snap back. It's possible to crush balls with that short snap back, but the key is to master the weight transfer, forwards while snapping back, into it for consistency. Adds joy to your game when done well, especially on the backhand side, as no one can do it.
      Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-16-2013, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Any Video?

Geoff,

Can you direct us to any video of this shot? I have used a pull-back motion to illustrate how power can be achieved with no follow-through for my players.

Ralph

Comment

FEARLESS TENNIS:

I have asked John to do a piece on the shot. I have no video currently, but he is a world expert on video taping any given shot. I learned this shot from watching the Bryant brothers. All top doubles players can hit it on their fh sides, but not all on the bh sides. Takes a very strong deltoid on the bh side to snap back. Difficult to master, but which shot worthwhile isn't? It's very joyful to hit and a dramatic way to end points, and you can develop amazing pace and slice with it. I have hit near 100mph snap back fh volleys, even as deep as beyond the service line. That's with an h22 strung with gut mains, weighing in at 380g, 65 RA, nrg2 crosses, set up for outright power/pop. The key to this shot is developing a lot of weight on the frame hand, on the take back, but not a very large take back, just a snap back, and a very heavy/hand/ ball for a volley results. So mostly just the wrist pops back, and it's not a swinging volley. It's the weight that's the key. Should be reserved for high balls. But I am beginning to use it on medium and some below net balls as well when I want to place a deep/fast volley.
          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-22-2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

You can see the snap back in the fh volley, as he moves forward, snaps back and follows through, not the taught: block the volley with no swing or follow through. All top doubles players do this on any high ball, and many on med. or even lower balls for pop;depth.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8887 users online. 6 members and 8881 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X