Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tribute to Tom Brown

Guys,

At my request, Tom Brown's long term partner Lee Tyler sent me this tribute about the great San Franciscan and American player Tom Brown who died in 2011. If you haven't read the excerpts from his book in the history section, they are a must. Here is the first one:

The tribute starts with a poem from his doubles partner, another famous pre-open era American player, Gardner Malloy. There is some info on Tom and his generation at the bottom.

I played doubles against Tom at Golden Gate Park in the 1980s. He was a great guy with a competitive streak you could feel, and a gentleman who was welcoming of a new kid at the courts.

John Yandell

Hail to Tom Brown

by Gardnar Mulloy

As a friend he was the best
    and he has finally come to rest.
    On the tennis court he was great
    and losing to him was always your fate.
    In our tennis encounters we hated each other
    but on the court we were brothers.
    Tom was as rough and gruff as a bear
    but honest - and you knew he was coming, and from where.
    He was loose as a goose but twice as shifty
    and ran like a deer almost as swifty.

We played Wimbledon and Davis Cup together -
    all over the world, in all kinds of weather
    arguing who was the best
    which now has been put to rest.

His serve may not be the greatest but it got him to the net
    before his opponents could get set.
    Tom's speed of foot is legendary and it's often been said
    he would run past his serve going to the net
    and the ball would hit him on the back of his head.

So,Tom, put in a good word to St.Peter for me -
    as someday with you I'd like to be.

P.S. I hope you'll forgive my Wimbledon drop shot
    that caused us to lose the winner's spot.
    Goodbye Tom - I'll see you soon
    Before many moons.
    -- Gar

The above poem was written for Tom Brown and read by Tom's son, Mark,at a memorial gathering held at the CaliforniaTennis Club in San Francisco1/17/2012.

What Mulloy is referring to in the last verse was the big chance he and Tom, playing as partners in the Wimbledon mens' final of 1948,had to win over the Australian team of Frank Sedgman and John Bromwich. But Gar miffed with a dink shot at a crucial point instead of a smash , which Sedgman gleefully raced to and put away.

Tom and Gar were longtime friends, foes and competitors, having met in1942 whenTom, then 19 and playing in his first nationals (now the US Open), came up against Mulloy in the round of 16.Tom lost, but it was a close 5-setter and the near-win earned Tom his first national ranking -- #16. (Gar was then #5). They were both in the first Davis Cup challenge
    played after World War II in Australia. All those team members,except Gardnar,are gone now -- Billy Talbert, Jack Kramer,Ted Schroeder,Frank Parker, and Tom, who died 10/27/2011 at the age of 89.

Gardnar hangs on at age 99, living at home with his second wife , Jacqueline, in Miami, Florida.

There is a lot about Gardnar in Tom's book,"As Tom Goes By", published when Tom was 85.
    Last edited by johnyandell; 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM.

He won the sf open many times. A ridiculous amount in a row, like 13. That shot of him in his article is from the club house, looking down into the courts that are three deep. When Brad Gilbert was suspended from nocal, he was on the hearing panel that heard his testimony. Played in the club house: backgammon with the best of them. Seeing that we are all going to die, we should at least improve our games and have some joy beforehand/backhand/forehand. Then Brad's brother Barry, joined the panel along with Tom, a bit of irony in that. He then defended Brad's suspension for fist fighting, saying, "My brother was fighting to make a living." --Hey, Barry, no one makes a living playing norcal amateur tournaments. It's for fun and joy, not for fist fighting in the parking lot like Brad did. That was one of the reasons he was disliked in the locker room. A few also had experienced some bad calls as well, along with all the psych oozing from Brad. Guys like him do win ugly, but at least they will try anything to win, and therein lies the rub: a lesson there.

"Just win, baby." Go ahead and cheat away to do so. Peds, psych, calling lets on any good serve (17 called in one match) for trainers, bath room breaks, etc. Cheating on let calling is the reason why lets are not allowed anymore in college. Takes gall to call a bad let. A tactic taught by some, to many. The whole point of it is a psych, to take away your serves, and your mind.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-20-2013, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Delighted to see Gar's tribute to Tom in your Forum, John. And to learn a few more snippets of his life than I hadn't heard before. How old were you, John when you played Tom at Golden Gate Park? -- And Geoff, about the comment you posted back in May,2010 (when Tom was still very much with us), what's this about a fist fight between Brad Gilbert and Tom in a parking lot somewhere? I didn't think Tom had a belligerent bone in his body! Please enlighten me..Thanks! LeeTyler

Comment

That's Lee guys, not a ghost, although I feel that Tom is still visiting us. That was about 1980 or so when we played doubles. I was like 27 or 28. Tom played on Sunday with Don Asher who was among the last of the great SF caberet pianists and claiming to be a 4.5...

Tom and he played because they were friends and it was a thrill for Don. I thought right off that was cool. Funny thing is they asked me and another young guy to play. We would have never approached Tom because of his reputation. He always played on court 1.

Comment

Lovely article

I loved the article. I'm from the UK and knew little about him so really enjoyed the read. I identified with a lot of things in it.

I have one thing in common with Tom. I also learned the game mostly from watching others who were better than me. Sometimes the best coach is yourself if you are that way inclined. Today all players are coached to death with very few discovering the game for themselves in the way players did years ago.

Clearly Tom watched great players better than I did because he became a very good player, unlike me...perhaps I was watching the wrong parts. He certainly worked at building his game. I am intrigued he could play in a temper - stubborn people sometimes have this quality - ...they just put their head down and play, become blinkered. Was Tom like this, Lee?

Anyway, it's with great affection that Tom will be remembered I'm sure...after reading the article, who couldn't have affection for him?
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by tombrown View Post
            Delighted to see Gar's tribute to Tom in your Forum, John. And to learn a few more snippets of his life than I hadn't heard before. How old were you, John when you played Tom at Golden Gate Park? -- And Geoff, about the comment you posted back in May,2010 (when Tom was still very much with us), what's this about a fist fight between Brad Gilbert and Tom in a parking lot somewhere? I didn't think Tom had a belligerent bone in his body! Please enlighten me..Thanks! LeeTyler
            Not with Tom, but with someone else, in a norcal tourny, junior/ntrp level.

Comment

Oh,Geoff, thank you for enlightening me! What a relief to learn the fist fight had nothing to do with Tom!

Comment

Tom would never stoop to Gilbert levels! Not many guys will go to the fist.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7897 users online. 6 members and 7891 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X