Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Wells 2013...Indian Wells, California

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    I wonder what Del Potro's chances are against Nadal tonight. I guess that you can't rule him out seeing as he just deposed the hottest player in the world. But is it too much to hope for?
    Rafael Nadal defeats Juan Del Potro...4-6, 6-3, 6-3. I fell asleep in the first set. It's boring. Backcourt exchanges. Whoopee. Of course the athleticism is admirable...but the lack of options is stifling.

For those that think that the Ernest Gulbis forehand is unorthodox have you seen what Nadal does with his. Of course you have but that is about as wild a swing as I can imagine. Of course the athleticism is admirable.

Anyways...it appears that Nadal is back at full strength and then some. He looks all revved up and ready to go. Del Potro too seems ready to go. He beats both Murray and Djokovic at Indian Wells. Come to think of it we should have had an Indian Wells thread...but with all of the excitement of analyzing and reanalyzing forehands going on. Lost in the flood.

Federer went out rather timidly against Nadal. His performance in anything but Slams now is dubious. Going through the motions. Who can blame him? Get a bigger racquet Roger...get with the program. At least we will not be stuck with the Djokovic and Murray show. I saw an interview with Murray and it was positively catatonic. Where is the personality...the charisma of being a star? Is it asking too much to appear somewhat interested...to be somewhat engaged? With life even?

If you want to beat Nadal your strategy must involve neutralizing the forehand. I didn't see what Del Potro had in mind in this regard...Leif Sharis talked a bit about it I think. Djokovic seems to go at the forehand early to draw the Spaniard out of the backhand side in order that he can play that side. You can't afford to let him sit over there pouncing on everything with that megaspin forehand. Djokovic can take the ball earlier...Del Potro is tall...the high ball is manageable. At least slightly more manageable.

Tennis has its teeth into the year...2013. I hate to say it...but the style of play is boring. The way that the game has been engineered is over the top. It's hard to stay excited about the score. These days it's only about how much...not how. How is what makes it interesting. Anybody?
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Del Potro/Djokovic was fun to watch!!

While I may agree with D_B that there are many elements of classic tennis pre-1984 that I miss, the semifinal match between Delpo and Nole was excellent. I reupped my TennisTV subscription early last week just so I could watch the Janowicz/Gasquet match and was extremely disappointed with Jerzy's lackluster showing there. But I was thrilled by the new features of the video player for TennisTV.

You can see my review of the video player on TennisTV and that match at

Excited and Deflated: TennisTV-yes, Jerzy-no

http://www.10sballs.com/2013/03/11/e...-yes-jerzy-no/

I was really thrilled to see the development in Djokovic's net game and all the tools he was using to try and blunt Delpo's power attack. They were doing much more than just banging the ball. They were both using the slice to create openings and change rhythms. Both came forward when given the opportunity. It was a fun match to watch and there was no questioning the fantastic display of athleticism. Especially when you consider this match was played in the upper 90's under a blazing desert sun.

I haven't seen the final yet, but I'll be able to watch that anytime because they keep up the Masters 1000 finals up as full matches for over a year. For the moment, you can still see the semis and a few other matches from last week, but that won't last. I'm tempted to just give one of my junior players a gift of a one month membership for $21 and I would if I could find out the Delpo/Djoker match would be available for another week. I think that match and the exchanges that took place would inspire him to work harder on his tennis and enable him to see what he could do with his game.

I'm really quite impressed with Djokovic and his quest for improvement. He really is getting better. He didn't have his best day on Saturday and he seemed to come in and out of focus uncharacteristically. But the improvement in his volleying and net play are very encouraging. He might even find that he has to return to some of those old classic tactics a little more often to create a better antidote for Del Potro's deadly power game. I'm hoping Roger can heal his back with the extended break he is taking, but for the moment, with this weekend's performance, Del Potro has shown he is a legitimate member of the "top 5" and until he is back to 100% with his back, despite whatever the ranking may say, Federer is bringing up the rear with that group.

don

Comment

Indian Wells was entertaining, at least in the final rounds. Delpo/Murray, Delpo/Djokovic and Delpo/Nadal. Great matches.

I could use this time to wax poetic about Berdych semis appearance but he went out with a wimper.

As much as I love tennis and appreciative of the era we live in, the banality of the matches and styles of play make me have to agree with don_budge. Missing the variety of styles and the beautifully executed Serve and volley. Speaking of styles and Serve and Volley but at the same time on a completely unrelated note, I'm looking forward to meeting Roy Emerson in the coming weeks. I have a speaking engagement at the Professional Tennis Management banquet at Ferris State University in Michigan. Roy Emerson will be there and is the Headline speaker

http://ferrisalumni.org/s/812/images...lumni_site.pdf

Ok, that was a shameless plug. Sorry.
      Moving on...

Del Potro showed that thunder forehand and made a legitimate case for being in that top 4 but now 5? Remember, Del Potro had won a grand Slam years before Andy Murray ever did.

I really thought he had Nadal in that final. Nadal's court position was so deep trying to absorb Del Potro's power. You could see the game plan of pushing Nadal deep down middle of the court, not allowing him angles, then when Nadal hits a short ball Del Potro goes for the big bomb at a sharper angle. I was pulling for the Argentine.

Also funny to to see the difference the Nadal spin has against Berdych compared to Del potro. Much more manageable for Del Potro, Berdych as tall as he his, still can't seem get complete control of it like Delpo can.

Sadly, ATP may have to rethink the schedule a little more as now, my "local" event Sony Open in Key Biscayne is missing tons of players from the men's game as they all withdrew. Damn shame.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

master's events

Yes, the ATP schedule does seem rather messed up. Why two master's 1000events back to back? I think they do the same with the Rogers Cup and then Cincinnati in the summer time. It doesn't make sense; I've thought that for a long time. From a TV watching point of view it's hard to get excited about the follow-up masters' tournament matches. Evidently some of the players can't take the grind, either, and don't participate or can't due to injury.

JBill

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          Indian Wells was entertaining, at least in the final rounds. Delpo/Murray, Delpo/Djokovic and Delpo/Nadal. Great matches.

I could use this time to wax poetic about Berdych semis appearance but he went out with a wimper.

As much as I love tennis and appreciative of the era we live in, the banality of the matches and styles of play make me have to agree with don_budge. Missing the variety of styles and the beautifully executed Serve and volley. Speaking of styles and Serve and Volley but at the same time on a completely unrelated note, I'm looking forward to meeting Roy Emerson in the coming weeks. I have a speaking engagement at the Professional Tennis Management banquet at Ferris State University in Michigan. Roy Emerson will be there and is the Headline speaker

http://ferrisalumni.org/s/812/images...lumni_site.pdf

Ok, that was a shameless plug. Sorry.
          Moving on...

Del Potro showed that thunder forehand and made a legitimate case for being in that top 4 but now 5? Remember, Del Potro had won a grand Slam years before Andy Murray ever did.

I really thought he had Nadal in that final. Nadal's court position was so deep trying to absorb Del Potro's power. You could see the game plan of pushing Nadal deep down middle of the court, not allowing him angles, then when Nadal hits a short ball Del Potro goes for the big bomb at a sharper angle. I was pulling for the Argentine.

Also funny to to see the difference the Nadal spin has against Berdych compared to Del potro. Much more manageable for Del Potro, Berdych as tall as he his, still can't seem get complete control of it like Delpo can.

Sadly, ATP may have to rethink the schedule a little more as now, my "local" event Sony Open in Key Biscayne is missing tons of players from the men's game as they all withdrew. Damn shame.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Kyle,
          I was your comment sparked a question I had regarding the Delpo/Nadal final at Indian Wells. What changed in that third set in your opinion? Delpo had taken it to Nadal in the second, and appeared unbeatable. I didn't see a significant tactical changes from Nadal, which led to wonder if Delpo just tired out some, keeping him from getting into that ideal power position like he had in the second. Thoughts?

Comment

And nice line-up by the way! Tell Roy about us here on Tennisplayer! lol

Comment

Originally posted by tntenniswhiz View Post
              Kyle,
              I was your comment sparked a question I had regarding the Delpo/Nadal final at Indian Wells. What changed in that third set in your opinion? Delpo had taken it to Nadal in the second, and appeared unbeatable. I didn't see a significant tactical changes from Nadal, which led to wonder if Delpo just tired out some, keeping him from getting into that ideal power position like he had in the second. Thoughts?
              I do think Nadal's victory was aided by Del Potro's fatigue. But more than that, it was caused by Nadal's improved PMA (Positive Mental Attitude). Towards the end of the 1st set and half of 2nd set Nadal had displayed negative body language- shrugged shoulders, head down, mumbling to himself etc...
              Del Potro's ground strokes, more specifically his forehand was pushing Nadal deep and Nadal did little to stop this. Suddenly, in the 2nd set, Del Potro played a few loose points, and that's all Nadal needed. Like a bloodhound picking up a scent, Nadal's head perked up, feet started churning under his body, and he increased his speed and pace.

Once Nadal caught this scent he was on a mission and would not be stopped. The focus and vision of a champion is very acute. Tunnel vision if you will. They see one thing and one thing only and that is victory. Once a champion sets his focus, there is very little that will stop them, except another great champion.

As for precise X's and O's, It was all about the forehand. Nadal and Delpo combined to hit 40 winners compared to just 5 backhands. They also Dominated with the serve+big forehand combo. The ol' 1-2 punch- Nadal used this serve+forehand combo 85% of the time and won the majority of those points by dictating from 1st ball asap. Del Potro used same tactic but was not as successful in converting, or at least, it seemed that way.

Ultimately, the physicality of Nadal wore down a already high mileage Del Potro after beating Murray and Djokovic in 3.

Those are my thoughts and observations. I could be totally off and wrong, which I usually am so what do I know. But that's my 2 cents. With that said, I wish there was some serve and volley. Just sayin'

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

"Kid" LaCroix...on Nadal and Del Potro

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                Nadal had displayed negative body language- shrugged shoulders, head down, mumbling to himself etc...

Like a bloodhound picking up a scent, Nadal's head perked up, feet started churning under his body, and he increased his speed and pace.

Once Nadal caught this scent he was on a mission and would not be stopped. The focus and vision of a champion is very acute. Tunnel vision if you will. They see one thing and one thing only and that is victory. Once a champion sets his focus, there is very little that will stop them, except another great champion.

Those are my thoughts and observations. I could be totally off and wrong, which I usually am so what do I know. But that's my 2 cents. With that said, I wish there was some serve and volley. Just sayin'

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Well I have been busy this morning. Inspired as usual. Shoveling horse poop. Picking up after the dogs. I saw a fox today. What a feeling. Something between rapture and dread, passion and fear. Life and death. Sort of like that feeling when you are playing a tennis match...in the pit of the stomach. It really isn’t so pretty is it...it really isn’t so nice. It makes me a little uncomfortable to tell you the truth...but it has to come out. Best not to let it fester.

But anyways...I’m reading you Kyle. I’m feeling you, Kid. I only say Kid out of respect you understand, given our relative number of trips around the sun...riding upon the earth. That’s life you know. At least that is how I see it. I am feeling up to the task of slugging it out with you again. The bigger and younger they are...the harder they fall. That's my motto. This continental grip thing has me inspired...dreaming's for free...you know.

What a shameless plug...my you know what. Thanks for sharing. Send us a copy of what you had to say. I am curious. I understand that the Ferris School of Tennis Management is a great program and produces some of the finest tennis people around...yourself included. One can tell...you have an appreciation for the reality of tennis...which was Classic Tennis. Not the Big Time Wrestling version. You have the honor of being in the presence of one of the living legends. Just mind your manners like you always do. Be respectful but don’t be afraid to go up and make yourself known to him. You don’t have to grovel either...he’s not into that. You know what he’s into? Passion...for the game. Tell him you loved the way the game used to be played...the way the old Australians under Harry Hopman had them playing it. That is what he wants to here. Ask him privately what he thinks of big racquets...you will see a hint of laughter in his eyes...or maybe a tear.

Beyond Tennis...what does that mean? alexandrafranco? Beyond success...what is that? Kyle LaCroix? Well it’s simple really. It is all about love. It is all about passion for life. It’s stylish to talk fancy and be complicated and speak of things that nobody really understands. Or else they try to bend their minds and pretend to. But when it is all said and done...in a game where “love” means nothing...it is all about the passion. They aren’t certifying passion these days are they? No...love’s a dangerous thing. You see what most don’t want to see...they have engineered the beauty out of the game and gave it another name. What an utter lack of respect and disregard for sacred ritual. Humpf.

Roy Emerson is going to like you Kyle. I just know it. Fetch him a cup of coffee...plant yourself by his side at every opportunity. Get close to him and watch him through the eyes of a wolf. See him for what he is. He is a big kid just like you...who grew up and got old enough to be a legend. One lucky human being...he played the game. For all that it is worth...he gave it his all. Nothing left in the bag at the end...the end of the night. A good example for us all I would say.

You see that quote of yours that I emboldened. Do me a favor. End that statement with “those are my thoughts and observations”. That is good enough for me coming from you. I just want to read what you honestly think. We cannot always be right. Being wrong is not a sin. That isn’t just two cents worth, that is your professional belief...put your self on the line and back it up. It is not about being right or wrong...that is never the case here. Just state your case...let everyone read it and weep. You are a champion my friend. Trust me.

I like your analysis of the bloodhound...and the scent. Of course you are right. Nadal can smell it. That is why he won’t cross the path of his competitor at the net. He can smell the scent as he passes in his opponents wake. He can smell the fear of losing...or any sign of weakness. Bloodhound...more like a wolf. On the hunt. I watch my opponent like a hawk...at least I used to. Looking for that tender spot to probe with my scalpel. I'm a surgeon too! Now I watch my students...like Sherlock Holmes with a magnifying glass and a warm heart.

Tennis is a place...a sacred place in our hearts and in our souls. Our imaginations. Where we can go on the hunt...to kill or be killed. If only in our imaginations. Killed one day? Raise the next and live to fight again. Again and again. Until you get it right. It’s a civilized battlefield where we can prove our worth...our mettle. When you bring animals into the analogy you bring the reality of the original deal into focus...it’s about passion. About love. And life.

The difference between Del Potro and Nadal that day? The difference wasn’t very much was it? Maybe an important or key point here or there. Even though I didn’t watch the entire match. I was sleeping...dreaming. The difference was...in the size of their racquets. Trust me.
                Last edited by don_budge; 03-22-2013, 03:09 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thanks don_budge.

Appreciate the kind words. Hanging with Roy Emerson will certainly be a thrill and all the advice you've given to me about interacting with him I already thought about and realized those points come natural to me when dealing with a man of his stature.

It is all about passion. You're right.

As for the quote you emboldened, you are certainly right. I could have ended it there with my first line but I didn't. Not my style. Too modest or unwilling to be so dogmatic. Not that I'm not opinionated, because I am, but I don't want to push an agenda or philosophy on others, especially those that have been around this tennis game and world much longer tan I have. Just a respect thing I guess. I like everyone to contribute and wouldn't one anyone to be shutout of a conversation. The more contributions and opinions I read on this board the more I learn and become a better teacher and tennis fan.
                  That's all.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7660 users online. 11 members and 7649 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X