Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This question is bothering me for years now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This question is bothering me for years now...

I thought this is just a stupid to ask, but I can't take it anymore!

OK here it goes.

I do not know what should be net clearance on my ground strokes, forehand and backhand, during a match, in neutral rally?
    Since I play all my matches on red clay, rallys can be long, and 95% of players don't come to the net at all.
    Now, I usually have very low net clearance, like 20cm, but sometimes I change my grip to more extreme and play with much higher net clearance, but then the ball travels slower, with more spin.
    What would work best (in general) on the level I play, I think its around 3.5-4.5
    where i think aggressive baseline style of play, which I prefer, is not the way to go?

Sorry if my question confuses you, but I will try to explain whatever is confusing about it.
    Last edited by nikae; 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM.

Nadal averaged .99 meters even while hitting 90mph fh. Three feet. Verdasco aver. .79 in their tough slam match, when Ver. hit 95 fh winners. He choked his last two fh. Two more winners would have given him the match.

Comment

Ok, so I should aim for 1 meter net clearance and keep the speed around 90mph, got it, thanks

Comment

Good defending is key even at club level

Pro stats aren't stats for mortals like us to follow. There is so much more pace and spin involved at top level tennis. Let's keep grounded here.

There is no hard and fast rule about these things. At club level, it depends on the individual. The more you are on the wrong end of things in a rally in terms of getting stretched and pulled out wide, the higher and deeper you want to try and return the ball so you can get things back on neutral terms.

Done well this can really frustrate opponents. There is nothing worse than being on the brink of winning a point only to be made to start all over again by good defending. Good defending can mean hitting the ball as much as 20 feet over the net at times. It's all based on how quick you can recover court position.

Conversely, when on the attack try to hit lower over the over the net so as to take time away from your opponent, and try to make sure you're in with a good chance of finishing the point on that shot or the one following. Having to hit three big shots in a row can be a big ask. Disguise is key here. Get good at disguising your attacking shots...make your opponent think you're going to hit one side, then hit the other. Over the course of a match disguising shots can start to freeze opponents in their tracks momentarily...then just pick your spot.

Learning correct net clearance isn't rocket science and can be easily learnt, though it's amazing how many juniors struggle with it.

Like I said, at club level much is down to the individual. How fast you can recover, how athletic you are, etc.

When hitting neutrally many club players should be hitting between four and six feet over the net. This is only a very rough guide as it all depends on the pace you hit at and how much topspin you use. Getting depth is the main aim at club level. Pin your opponent back so he then cannot attack or hurt you.

Hope this helps. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you with your game, nikae.
        Last edited by stotty; 04-01-2013, 07:07 AM.
        Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7625 users online. 12 members and 7613 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X