Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing an ATP Style Forehand: Pull, Flip, and Roll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeoffWilliams
    replied
    I've always had some trouble with my forehand. Ripped a few off deuce side return today cross court, by keeping it short, in front, snapping back to the side. You can step right in open and rip it if you keep it to the right side/front.

Leave a comment:

• mcgaw
    replied
    Macci the Magnificant

Probably the best instructional video on the forehand made to date. As a junior growing up in the small cities of the Midwest in the fifties, we didn't have access to elite coaches as we do now on line with tennisplayer.com. Thank you for your development of players with average means and access to elite coaches.
    Dick

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Agreed! I've studied the backswings for years--seen all the variations and pondered the options...still wasn't sure what the hell was the best way to go for a lot of players...this solves the whole thing.

I asked Brian Gordon how he figured this all out recently--and let's remember he is the one who inspired Rick.

His answer was something like "15 years of torture and pain." So worth it Brian!!

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    Great stuff

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Let's hear your thoughts on Rick Macci's article "Developing an ATP Style Forehand: Pull, Flip, and Roll!"
    Good stuff again.

I've been using Rick's coaching methods from last month's issue constantly, and with great success. The breakthrough, for me, in making the ATP easy to teach is having kids start from the outside backswing position...at least initially. This has been the key coaching tool in getting success with my students. It goes much further than the slot drill in the Sam Stosur's Forehand article...and other similar methods, in that it triggers the counter-rotations as well. The trouble with the slot drill is it's only good for reducing the backswing. It doesn't help initiate counter-rotations.

Having kids start from the outside position and "pull" the racket head through is a considerable coaching breakthrough. It works...and it's easy...for coach and student.

These ATP videos by Rick are a revelation for coaches. I love to read articles and threads on the forum but when it comes to the nitty gritty, you cannot beat being "shown" how it's done.
    Last edited by stotty; 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Developing an ATP Style Forehand: Pull, Flip, and Roll!

Let's hear your thoughts on Rick Macci's article "Developing an ATP Style Forehand: Pull, Flip, and Roll!"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8058 users online. 5 members and 8053 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X