Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing an ATP Style Forehand: Pull, Flip, and Roll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stroke
    replied
    Originally posted by sfrazeur View Post
    Let me clarify:

He is already laying his hand back prior to the pull which, if I understand correctly, prematurely stretches the wrist flexors and inhibits the stretch Shortening cycle from reaching full potential. If he kept his palm facing downward longer prior to pulling he would get a more rapid stretch and constriction giving more racquet head speed. If am wrong please explain and educate me instead of calling for me to be ignored.
    As 10splayer said, you should not be ignored. If one holds the pronated shoulder/forearm position prior to the pull, the pull combined with the supination to pronation will maximize the flip.
    Last edited by stroke; 05-23-2014, 12:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sfrazeur
    replied
    Let me clarify:

He is already laying his hand back prior to the pull which, if I understand correctly, prematurely stretches the wrist flexors and inhibits the stretch Shortening cycle from reaching full potential. If he kept his palm facing downward longer prior to pulling he would get a more rapid stretch and constriction giving more racquet head speed. If am wrong please explain and educate me instead of calling for me to be ignored.
    Last edited by sfrazeur; 05-22-2014, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 10splayer
    replied
    Originally posted by DougEng View Post
    Ignore the comment by another observer. Not sure what he meant. I'm sure you are flipping. But I can download later and analyze frame by frame. You do use a narrow stance and lose power due to the left arm out. Otherwise good flip!

Doug
    Not so sure the "observer" should be ignored. But alas, it is a nice stroke.
    Last edited by 10splayer; 05-22-2014, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DougEng
    replied
    Classical

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
    Looks classical…no modern flips for you? But it's a very smooth classical stroke.

Best,
    Doug

Leave a comment:

• DougEng
    replied
    Flip or not?

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    I've always flipped..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBvWtUYk_4

Why am I the only one showing my strokes???
    Ignore the comment by another observer. Not sure what he meant. I'm sure you are flipping. But I can download later and analyze frame by frame. You do use a narrow stance and lose power due to the left arm out. Otherwise good flip!

Doug

Leave a comment:

• sfrazeur
    replied
    I've always flipped..

In the example you show I would argue that you are not truly flipping / pulling the racquet from a coacked position. You seem to lay the racquet head down behind you and then you rotate your hips and pull.
    Last edited by sfrazeur; 05-22-2014, 06:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• captnemo
    replied
    Stotty,

That forehand looks effortless and strong. You are my new model.

The Captain

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    Thanks Stotty, hope we can hook up some day in Lugano...
    I was nearly there this weekend...well nearby. Other commitments meant I couldn't go. My son is staying with his grandparents in Porto Ceresio at the moment. He'll be delighted Federer won today.

Leave a comment:

• gzhpcu
    replied
    Thanks Stotty, hope we can hook up some day in Lugano...

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    I've always flipped..

Here's mine...

Leave a comment:

• gzhpcu
    replied
    I've always flipped..

Leave a comment:

• bottle
    replied
    Agassi, floating along the baseline with his racket held toward the net. That's it! The trouble is that people are too literal-minded in their interpretation of these ideas. They ought to ask-- dispassionately-- what's in this for me. So, you see, a thread-stopper did not occur. Ivan Lendl is another example, lagging his racket toward the net while his elbow is needled toward the back fence. It's very dishonest to fail to make a distinction between those who whip the racket immediately and frantically all the way back and those who have more delay (and measure points) in their backswing.

Listen, if I'm going to be lectured about not being late, I want to be lectured about not being early, too.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Yes. It would be great if not.

Leave a comment:

• stroke
    replied
    John, I think your question has been posed before, the ol thread stopper.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    I would have to disagree with this. But my question is where can I see a piece of video of a forehand that fits the paradigm wbc is describing of good forehand technique?

Leave a comment:

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3084 users online. 2 members and 3082 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X