Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving Question - Racquet-hand position in "loaded position"

John -

Wanted to get you thoughts (+ & -) on the racquet-hand position when in the "loaded position" before the racquet drop. This isn't a fair comparison, in terms of quality of serves, but if you look at Maria Sharapova's serve when she is in the "loaded position" her racquet face is parallel to the baseline. Compare that to Federer or Sampras, their racquet face is pointed to the right-side fence or the edge of the racquet is perpendicular to the baseline. What are the possible benefits and/or pitfalls to having the racquet face parallel to the baseline (Sharapova), in the "loaded position?

Sean O

Nice Post

Originally posted by seano10s View Post
    John -

Wanted to get you thoughts (+ & -) on the racquet-hand position when in the "loaded position" before the racquet drop. This isn't a fair comparison, in terms of quality of serves, but if you look at Maria Sharapova's serve when she is in the "loaded position" her racquet face is parallel to the baseline. Compare that to Federer or Sampras, their racquet face is pointed to the right-side fence or the edge of the racquet is perpendicular to the baseline. What are the possible benefits and/or pitfalls to having the racquet face parallel to the baseline (Sharapova), in the "loaded position?

Sean O
    Sean,

An interesting question! There is a definite difference and the Sampras/Fed position is more common and in my view simple to achieve. BUT look at Raonic:

His position is more similar to Maria!

What all four players share however is that deep, full, pro drop along the right side with massive external arm rotation.

If you make that position does it matter? I don't have a definite answer for that question. But I do know it's questionable that this shape directly effects racket speed--this is because the real acceleration happens in a 1/10 of a second after the drop. At the "power position" his racket is traveling at 10mph. It gains 20mph between there and the drop, but then goes from 30mph to 90mph from the drop to the contact--again in 1/10th of a second.

See this article which actually measures it in Pete's motion:

Of course there could be something along the lines of the ssc discoveries Brian Gordon made on the forehand that I am missing.

I'm sure others here have opinions so chime in if you will.

John
    Sean

I really had to think about this one. I see you put the same question directly to John in one of the sticky threads. I was waiting for his answer because I was a little flummoxed about an answer myself. I have posted John's reply above so the discussion can continue in this thread.

John mentions the deep racket drop and external rotation are perhaps more key than the position of the racket/hand. I cannot add anything to this because I really don't know.

One thing that has got me thinking with this and the other threads on the forum relating to serves is this: Is it enough to focus on getting students to make the key positions when coaching serves? How much fluency and rhythm can sometimes get lost if we over focus like this? On the other hand some top level serves aren't exactly beautiful to look at but they get the job done. I think beautiful, fluent serves still rule...but then you get a Taylor Dent muscling balls down at 140mph and it makes you think.

Sorry I cannot offer anything further to your initial question, Sean. I'm sure someone else will have thoughts and knowledge on the subject, however.

Nice post!
    Last edited by stotty; 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

Hey I say flow like cream between the positions--they are just points on a smooth continuum--critical points in the flow...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7861 users online. 7 members and 7854 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X