The your strokes piece by JY: Goldstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The your strokes piece by JY: Goldstein

The court that piece was filmed on is at the SF bay club, and it's the same court I recently played a tournament match on. I guess it proves JY is a member there if they are letting him film a piece! This article is deceptively simple, but outstandingly good in that it reaches down to a common thread among all players: we all want to improve, and no matter how good we are: (Goldstein a world class player, although not a great serve, an ok one), we can all learn from JY. Goldstein said, "It didn't matter who told me, or what they knew, or how good a teacher they were, it took seeing myself side by side on video before it sunk in." "That really helped me see where I was, and what I had to do to improve." The piece also suggests how important a full back arch/reach back is to the full resulting racquet drop. Murray has a large reach back. Djoker does too.

The racquet drop was not perpendicular to the torso. For those of us who never understood what the hell JY was talking about: when the frame reaches down behind you, it's up/down position in relation to the up/down position of your upstanding body itself, so that if a line were drawn parallel to the ground, off the frame tip, at it's full drop, is that line parallel or short of parallel, or past parallel, to the ground or not? If it's parallel, the line is then perpendicular to your torso. Goldstein achieved this by turning away from the net more, arching his back far more, and changing his stance to be more like sampras back arch/stance, and by reaching back more with that increased back arch allowing him to then reach back more than he was doing so! So what does a few inches increased drop mean to a pro player or a rec. player? That would take measurements off a radar gun and rpm studies to say.

Another interesting piece would be to compare/contrast a wide return stance such as Djoker uses, compared to a non wide returning stance, to see if it allows greater or less range on a lunge step, or more or less efficiency on a body serve. As Djoker has a wider return stance than almost anyone else has, it may suggest that it is a good thing.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 04-17-2013, 10:59 AM.

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
    The court that piece was filmed on is at the SF bay club, and it's the same court I recently played a tournament match on. I guess it proves JY is a member there if they are letting him film a piece! This article is deceptively simple, but outstandingly good in that it reaches down to a common thread among all players: we all want to improve, and no matter how good we are: (Goldstein a world class player, although not a great serve, an ok one), we can all learn from JY. Goldstein said, "It didn't matter who told me, or what they knew, or how good a teacher they were, it took seeing myself side by side on video before it sunk in." "That really helped me see where I was, and what I had to do to improve." The piece also suggests how important a full back arch/reach back is to the full resulting racquet drop. Murray has a large reach back. Djoker does too.

The racquet drop was not perpendicular to the torso. For those of us who never understood what the hell JY was talking about: when the frame reaches down behind you, it's up/down position in relation to the up/down position of your upstanding body itself, so that if a line were drawn parallel to the ground, off the frame tip, at it's full drop, is that line parallel or short of parallel, or past parallel, to the ground or not? If it's parallel, the line is then perpendicular to your torso. Goldstein achieved this by turning away from the net more, arching his back far more, and changing his stance to be more like sampras back arch/stance, and by reaching back more with that increased back arch allowing him to then reach back more than he was doing so! So what does a few inches increased drop mean to a pro player or a rec. player? That would take measurements off a radar gun and rpm studies to say.

Another interesting piece would be to compare/contrast a wide return stance such as Djoker uses, compared to a non wide returning stance, to see if it allows greater or less range on a lunge step, or more or less efficiency on a body serve. As Djoker has a wider return stance than almost anyone else has, it may suggest that it is a good thing.
    I agree about the stances. Some seem so wide...too wide. However, my friend, a good coach, likens it to a game where you have to stop someone trying to get past you down an alley...he states you'd put your arms out wide...with a wide stance to match... to give yourself the best chance of tagging your opponent...this would be the instinctive posture most would adopt...and the best one. He's right, try it. I guess the same theory applies trying to stop a tennis ball getting by you. The faster the serve, the wider the returner's stance...games never been faster than it is today.

Loved the Goldstein article...the most amazing thing being Wayne Arthurs's serve...external rotation...now that is something else...lovely footage.
    Last edited by stotty; 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

That was some serious rotation! Huge server. Gone now. Every match I lose is due to my first serve not damaging enough, and my movement/consistency.

Comment

Interesting artical

sats on the first serve
        service_statistician_web copy.pdf

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8438 users online. 5 members and 8433 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X