ATP Forehand - Brian Gordon - The Wrist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATP Forehand - Brian Gordon - The Wrist

This is my first post on this forum. I have, however, been very active in reading and watching a lot of the material. I’ve only been playing tennis since last September and initially had difficulty finding information I could trust. This website is like a gold mine. The articles are excellent.

Recently, I’ve been reading the amazing work by Brian Gordon into what he terms the ATP forehand. I’ve read the articles several times and watched the high-speed videos of the pros as well as Rick Macci’s excellent (and often funny) videos over the last two issues.

But I have a question: On page two of the second article on the ATP forehand by Brian Gordon (the section subtitled ‘Wrist Snap?’ here) he makes the point that the wrist doesn’t snap forward but plays a positional role. The clips demonstrate how the positioning of the wrist determine if the shot will go inside-out or cross court.

If those directions can be called horizontal, the question I have concerns the vertical direction of the shot (i.e. how high over the net). I’m unsure if this is determined by wrist pronation/supination (varying the tilt of the racket head) or by something else.

Forgive me if I’m missing something obvious. I’m new here.
    Last edited by meakinrobert; 04-18-2013, 04:00 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the good words about the site. And glad you posted.

I never speak for Brian (no one can) but my own opinion is that the height or arc of the shot is influenced by the upward steepness of the forward swing. The angle is something like 30 degrees but slight variations change the trajectory. Best way to do this if is to visualize swinging upward along the desired arc of the shot. JUst an image not a measurement, but it probably changes the angle of approach to the ball by whatever the needed factor is.

Comment

Thank you for that.

I found this picture which seems to illustrate just that point.

Source: http://www.feeltennis.net/tennis-technique-myth

Comment

Yes! Sideviews in the stroke archives will show this--there are thousands.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7641 users online. 0 members and 7641 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X