Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Federer doing with his feet in this video?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Federer doing with his feet in this video?

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...ShortSide6.mov

I saw this a few years ago and I thought it was kinda weird.

Funny you should bring that up. In the May issue going up in few days, David Bailey is doing an article on attack footwork. What you see is a text book example of a Forward Transfer--including the back leg kick back.

Comment

Openstance due to higher than usual ball height on approach shot. Try it for yourself with a neutral or closed stance, impossible.

Comment

Did you notice the skipping? It's the way he's positioning himself for the ball that's so unusual. It's the only time in his archives that I see him use this particular pattern to position himself for a shot.

I dislike the word stance when it comes to a discussion about footwork. I prefer the term contact move. To me the word stance makes me to think of standing which you should not be doing when you're playing tennis.

Comment

Generally when hitting open or semi open, it's not advisable to have your right foot infront or ahead of your left, as this decreases the coil of the hips, but in Fed's case, he can still get a great upper body turn. This set-up would be more difficult for lower level players. Now, what's really important is what Fed does with his left leg, as he is moving forward into the shot. Kerry Mitchell calls this (hip) alignment. There is a great article on the site that illustrates this important concept. Take a look.

Comment

As for the skip--I didn't notice it...I'll ask David Bailey what he thinks.

Comment

What is Federer doing with his feet in this video...

He is doing what he does best...he is dancing with the tennis ball.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Here's what Dave Bailey said:

It is a forward transfer hit of a forward open stance instead of semi open stance meaning he has tried to take time away and virtually hit off a moving stance maybe because his opponent has left a gap for Fed to attack. If the ball was floating more and his opponent in a strong recovery position and he wanted to disguise his shot then he would load his legs more and hit off a more semi open stance In other words Sometimes I call the classic transfer off a semi open stance a transfer move and the more "take early transfer" off a forward open stance a forward transfer John let me know if this makes sense?
                When I mean gap I mean the space on the opponents side of the court in relation to fed trying hit the ball hit early before the opponent has recovered ie Fed has virtually run forward through the shot ......In relation to the out steps.....he has side skipped forward at an angle so he can set up on his outside foot and thus transfer his weight in an elevated manner from his outside foot to inside foot or right foot to left foot

I reviewed Feds steps again and the out steps are a step out, step forward then step across into a forward open stance ie setting up on his outside foot etc that is he is not really side skipping but more adjustment or cha cha cha steps
                Last edited by johnyandell; 05-05-2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Kerry Mitchells "true alignment" article is hands down one of the best pieces I've read on the subject of stance permutations. If you haven't read it, you should.....This clip is a great example of Kerry's argument, that, regardless of stance, direction of weight shift, etc. the hip alignment at impact is the critical factor..

Comment

Originally posted by giancarlo View Post
                    Generally when hitting open or semi open, it's not advisable to have your right foot infront or ahead of your left, as this decreases the coil of the hips, but in Fed's case, he can still get a great upper body turn. This set-up would be more difficult for lower level players. Now, what's really important is what Fed does with his left leg, as he is moving forward into the shot. Kerry Mitchell calls this (hip) alignment. There is a great article on the site that illustrates this important concept. Take a look.
                    Good call, didn't see your post....

Comment

Tango or Tennis Anyone...Cha Cha Cha

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                      He is doing what he does best...he is dancing with the tennis ball.
                      Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                      he is not really side skipping but more adjustment or cha cha cha steps
                      [/INDENT]
                      Dancing the Tango is a bit different from any other dance. There is less choreography and more attention is paid to the music and the real art of dancing the Tango is to be connected to the music and one's emotions as well as those of your beautiful and sexy partner. The music is often melancholy and moody...as are many love affairs. The steps are often impulsive and instinctual. If you can capture this in your dance technique you can be quite a lady killer...a real heart throb.

Roger is surely connected to the dance...when he is Dancing With Tennis Balls. I was only half joking in my original post. I believe that David Bailey knows what he is talking about but then why ask the question does this make any sense? I don't understand the jargon...so it didn't make any sense to me. But then I am just ignorant of his terms. I am dancing to another tune...as usual.

But I had another go at this one...frame by frame and this is what it appears to be to me. In frames 1-14 Roger retreats behind the baseline with two steps with his right foot backwards which he plants...in frames 15-37 he takes one step with his left foot which he plants and then he more or less jumps forwards with both feet off of the ground into position in an open stance...note that in frame 25 he has aligned his shoulders and his feet with his racquet in position to make the typical Federesque unit turn to his right...frame 37 he has his racquet up into position to go down to pet the pooch fulfilling the ATP prerequisites and see how that left hand is fully extended to his immediate right...then he sort of semi-launches himself airborne and in frame 49 just as he is about to make contact with the ball he has once again assumed a closed position with his feet, although I wouldn't say that it is a stance because both feet are off of the ground...but it is a rather amazing bit of "Tango" if you ask me.

It's sort of improvised and the reason probably has something to do with how he feels about the shot. It looks as if initially he was going to retreat and play the ball behind the baseline considerably lower than where he ends up playing the ball, which is well inside the baseline and at shoulder level. This is the Tango aspect that I was referring to. A bit of indecision that is parlayed into a sensuous and impulsive bit of footwork. Sexy Roger...killing the ladies. It is a primal instinctual reaction to the shot...or the flow of the music. Perhaps at first glance there doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason for the move but upon closer inspection with the aid of frame by frame analysis we are able to discern his interpretation of the music that is playing in his head. Retreat and play a bit more defense...no, the opportunity is there for a split second reaction to go forwards and attack. Ole!

Once again...as in the music video "Forehand Not Gone" Roger manages to align his feet in a rather closed position as he makes contact with his shot. He consistently does this even when he appears to be out of position...which for me makes a great argument for rather classic alignment of the feet. Does this make any sense? That is the funny thing about the Tango though...sometimes it doesn't make any sense. But then again neither do most love affairs...in the end.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                      don_budge
                      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4175 users online. 3 members and 4172 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X