the heavy ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the heavy ball

Hi John, I just read some of your articles concerning speed, spin, and the heavy ball. I feel through experience that the heavy ball comes from all of that, but is felt by the player who is hitting and receiving that heavy ball. Although the hitter doesn't usually think of it in this way. The ball that is hit very clean with a pronounced follow through is going to be a heavy ball. Whether it is topspin, flat, or underspin. All of those shots I think can be heavy by hitting through the shot with racquet head speed, and a good transfer of weight, and the kinetic chain of power. I think that technique is the basis for the heavy ball, and the cleaner a players technique in the particular shot he is trying to hit will result in a heavy ball. I think that Rafa's forehand, and federer's forehand are really good examples of the heavy ball. Rafa having a bit more spin, and federer having a bit more speed. I also have in mind federer's put away volleys. He really sticks them. What do you think? Tim

To hit a heavy ball you have to go at about 100mph, with spin. Not many have done that on a volley. I played with a guy named, german name, used to play Kohlschreiber, who had the heaviest overhead I've ever seen, Kai Sandner, but the guy would hit it when I'd feed him easy lobs for practice, and his frame was leaded up to 400g, and a stiff ra, and he would hurt you with it, so I just stopped hitting with him. Didn't want my shoulder ripped out! Some guys are practice ruthless.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Heavy is definitely a subjective experience... We know it's a combination of speed and spin. At the pro level, the extra spin separates the men and women.

But Rafa's ball is often looping and bounces shorter--but higher and very heavy. And if a player takes the ball early and hits deep and forces you on time that can feel heavy as well.

A heavy 4.5 kick serve is a sitting duck at higher levels. It's a fascinating topic with no scientific certainty in the definition--yet anyway.

In junior development though I think it is understood as the ability to hit with close to the maximums of speed and the maximums of spin in the relative age space.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7897 users online. 5 members and 7892 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X