AJ's article in the August issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ's article in the August issue

I really enjoyed aj's article, even if it was a little rude about the British. It even mentioned that Davydenko might go deep at the US Open. With that forehand, anything can happen.

More seriously I thought that what Moodie and Huss did at Wimbledon was brilliant, the best thing in men's tennis for years. Utterly unheralded they came through the qualifying tournament to win the championships. They did it through the quality of their volleying and their teamwork which was unbelievably good. Tennis is a sport that tends to identify the best player, week after week, and most of all at the majors. So it's right that we focus on the great players. But if sport has no successes like this it is very much diminished. I hope they keep going and wish them every success.

Thanks for the kind words...and about the Brit slap: sorry matey. Seriously, no harm intended. Definitely looking forward to more good tennis from young Andy Murray.

Glad to see I'm not the only fan of the doubles game, crosscourt! Yeah, the Moodie/Huss victory was a shining moment.
    I was lucky enough to have hit a few with Moodie and another NCAA player back in 2000 at a series of dual matches my club hosted. Nice kid. Well-deserved victory there. Oh, and he took out fellow S&V'er, Tim Henman in Washington, DC a day or two ago.

Davydenko will be a threat at the Open, even if the new blue courts end up on the quick side.

All the best.
    Enjoy the summer.

Comment

I really need to see Nikolay's forehand. Anyone have any clips online?

Comment

aj -- no offence taken. I assumed that you were confusing us with someone else. The French perhaps? By the way, in the UK it' "sorry mate" not "matey". "Matey" is a brand of bath foam.

cc

Comment

But is it a good brand of bath foam? Would AJ enjoy it?

Comment

I think all tennis players love a good foam...Matey!
            Well, sorry mate. One of my college tennis buds just got back from a couple of years in London and says matey a lot...so I've picked it up just a little.

Hey, how about this past couple of weeks? Some good showings in smaller events by Blake, Monfils, Gasquet and Roddick. Andre as well. An interesting summer is shaping up.
            --ajc

Comment

Gasquet?

AJ,
              What has Gasquet been up to? I thought the last time he played was the France vs. Russia Davis Cup match-up. Before that, Wimbledon. What the deal?

Comment

Well he just toasted a Russian in the first round up here in Montreal...

Comment

Richarr Gasquet

What's up Lukman? How are you?

I think Gasquet has just been training a lot. As John said, he's playing really well in Montreal ...then he goes and blows a big first set lead to fellow Frenchman, Seb Grosjean. The ol' losing-it-against-the-veteran-countyman thing (Things That Do Not EVER apply to RafaNadal, please, for $400). Richard will be seeded in the top twenty at the Open and, depending on the draw, I say he lives up to that...maybe more. He'll need some matches over the coming weeks, though.

Off the subject, but, I'm looking forward to seeing Agassi vs Gaudio on Friday. It'll be a good test for Andre. Gaudio's going to have to lace some unreal backhands down-the-line to take down a healthy Agassi.

Enjoy the matches, John, and everyone else up there in Montreal, Quebec.

Comment

AJ,

We have so much INCREDIBLE high speed footage I can't even start to go into it--including Nadal in spades. I want a summer home in Montreal--friggin' awesome city. So beautiful and I can pretend to speak French.

If you came over to the house to watch it like in the old days we'd both be divorced in quite a short period. It was just me and AJ. a case of beer and the high speed remote for 37 straight hours--what was wrong with that again Honey? Honey??

JY

Comment

That was fun...countless professional strokes...counting the revolutions per second by studying the movement of each ball. Glad they added the flaming ball logo on the back of the Wilsons (easier to count RPSs).

Kelli Chabria shakes head and smiles, "Dorks....but I love you."

Can't wait to see the footage from Montreal. Hope you got out after the matches. What a cool city, especially in the spring/summer.

Later on,

--ajc

Comment

Great line.

Originally posted by johnyandell
                        Well he just toasted a Russian in the first round up here in Montreal...
                        'toasted a Russian'

Is that like, he just 'smoked a Cuban'?
                        I once smoked a Cuban in Montreal. Great cigars, cheap and legal.

You're funny guys, John and A. J.

Comment

Even our wives think so, at least on occasion...

Comment

Montreal is a great city. Cincy? It looks kind of hot. I want to see how far Monfils can go this week. Should have a real chance against Youzhny. Did anyone see Muray v Safin yesterday? Safin was too good in the end, but Murray played well. I thought he played intelligent tennis and hit some really smart shots -- until the third.

I dunno whether aj would like Matey ot not, but if his friends hang out in the parts of London where they call each other "matey" it may be best not to find out too much about his private life.

Comment

crosscourt,

Ha haa...nice one, mate!

Again, I'm impressed with Andy Murray. Good couple of sets with Safin. I bet he takes a lot from a match like that. He'll have what it takes to hang with the big boys.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2401 users online. 10 members and 2391 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X