Happy Birthday...J. Donald Budge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday...J. Donald Budge

In 1938, Donald Budge, who has died aged 84 of a heart attack, became the first person to achieve the tennis grand slam - winning the United States, French, Australian and Wimbledon championships in the same year. It would be more than 25 years before another man, the Australian Rod Laver, equalled that feat, and in the 60-odd years since Budge's triumph, no other American male player has managed it.

Happy Birthday Mr. Budge...wherever you may be. Born June 13, 1915...he would have been 98 today.

I worked a couple of summers for Don Budge at his tennis camp in Maryland. The memories of that experience indelibly imprinted on my mind. Tears come to my eyes when I think of those days. This was an experience that helped to shape my future. There was Karen too...the Summer of 72. I saw this article that seemed to capture a snapshot of the man.

Don Budge was a gentleman that defied words. His demeanor and calmness around the camp was a magic aura. His concern for sportsmanship was only trumped by his understanding of human nature. I remember him seeing me tied up by my anger and he would pull me aside and gently talk to me. The softness and understanding in his voice soothing my angry spirit.

It was 1972...when many good boys had been shipped off to Vietnam. I was eighteen and becoming a man...the threat had been there. Living in a rice paddy a million miles from home. To die for my country like so many others...needlessly. The beat goes on. I will never forget the spirit of this man.

It is now 2013...I am approximately the same age as he was when I knew him.

He was legend but more than that...he was a man. God Bless you...Sir.
    Last edited by don_budge; 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Happy Birthday J. Donald Budge. Great to hear the respect for such a good man. db speaks highly of his mentor. Also, good to see J. Donald Budge was a a fellow Gemini. That explains alot.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Big money

I liked the article. It's amazing how much money, relative to the time, Budge was paid to play....$148,000 in his first year as a pro. That's over 8 million dollars in today's money.

It's was the same with Tilden. Tilden was paid incredible sums to play on the pro tour. I calculated his annual income at his height on the pro tour to be the equivalent to 6 million dollars in today's money. Not bad. He spent most of it on staging plays, living the high life, and ice cream....he squandered the rest.

So the money has always been there for those at the very top of the game...little has changed since day one.
      Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8234 users online. 3 members and 8231 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X