Happy Birthday Fraulein Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Fraulein Forehand

Today, June 14th marks the birthday of one of the greatest female tennis players ever.

This was a player that has won 22 grand slams in singles, a golden slam in 1988, 107 career singles titles, and a 902-115 win/loss record in her career.

She proved to us that great footwork and a slice backhand could be a weapon.

For me, Idolizing Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker as a young player growing up was normal. But as a boy who admired Stefan and Boris, I was frowned upon for expressing my admiration of Steffi Graf.

No one ever told me this at the time, but I guess its not common for males to idolize female athletes, at least outwardly, or mimic their game styles for that matter, especially when during adolescence the desire to portray yourself as anything that resembled a females game would be asking for harsh comments and teasing from your tennis peers. But I didn't care. I recognized greatness when I saw it. Steffi Graf was greatness.

Although my footwork was never as precise as hers, nor was my serve toss as high, nor was I ever willing to run around and dictate my forehand that often, there is not a day that goes by where I don't give credit to Steffi Graf for inspiring me to play. I give her the same, if not more credit than Edberg and Becker.

Watching me play, the last person you would compare my game to would be someone like Steffi's. Although I like my game and am pleased with where it has gotten me in my career. My serve is an artists' rendering of Krajicek on crack. My footwork, mainly because of my size 16 shoes, is closer to the chaos and noise that is equivalent to a 9 year old with a sugar high violently beating on a drum set. My forehand, depending on the day, is a Chernobyl-esque genetic cross mutation of Tomas Berdych and Stefan Edberg. None of my strokes or game style even slightly penetrates the visual technique and tactics that is Fraulein Forehand. Her game did not leave its mark on my strokes like others have. Steffi never had that effect on me. Instead, her game penetrated deeper than the others, much like her forehand compared to her contemporaries. She left her mark in my mind and in my heart. Because of her, I'm always able to appreciate greatness when I see it.

Happy Birthday Steffi Graf.

Sorry for the rant. But it was needed today.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Today, June 14th marks the birthday of one of the greatest female tennis players ever.

This was a player that has won 22 grand slams in singles, a golden slam in 1988, 107 career singles titles, and a 902-115 win/loss record in her career.

She proved to us that great footwork and a slice backhand could be a weapon.

For me, Idolizing Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker as a young player growing up was normal. But as a boy who admired Stefan and Boris, I was frowned upon for expressing my admiration of Steffi Graf.

No one ever told me this at the time, but I guess its not common for males to idolize female athletes, at least outwardly, or mimic their game styles for that matter, especially when during adolescence the desire to portray yourself as anything that resembled a females game would be asking for harsh comments and teasing from your tennis peers. But I didn't care. I recognized greatness when I saw it. Steffi Graf was greatness.

Although my footwork was never as precise as hers, nor was my serve toss as high, nor was I ever willing to run around and dictate my forehand that often, there is not a day that goes by where I don't give credit to Steffi Graf for inspiring me to play. I give her the same, if not more credit than Edberg and Becker.

Watching me play, the last person you would compare my game to would be someone like Steffi's. Although I like my game and am pleased with where it has gotten me in my career. My serve is an artists' rendering of Krajicek on crack. My footwork, mainly because of my size 16 shoes, is closer to the chaos and noise that is equivalent to a 9 year old with a sugar high violently beating on a drum set. My forehand, depending on the day, is a Chernobyl-esque genetic cross mutation of Tomas Berdych and Stefan Edberg. None of my strokes or game style even slightly penetrates the visual technique and tactics that is Fraulein Forehand. Her game did not leave its mark on my strokes like others have. Steffi never had that effect on me. Instead, her game penetrated deeper than the others, much like her forehand compared to her contemporaries. She left her mark in my mind and in my heart. Because of her, I'm always able to appreciate greatness when I see it.

Happy Birthday Steffi Graf.

Sorry for the rant. But it was needed today.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    You have great taste. What a forehand. What footwork. What a body...a quite perfect body...not yours, of course...hers.

My favourite female players are Graf and Hingis. Graf the greatest mover, Hingis the greatest mind.

Happy birthday Steffi.

Unusual for a male to model his game on a female, Klacr...but I'm told we all have a kinky side. I hope you weren't copying her wardrobe at the time, too....be a tough one to pull off with size 16 feet
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      You have great taste. What a forehand. What footwork. What a body...a quite perfect body...not yours, of course...hers.

My favourite female players are Graf and Hingis. Graf the greatest mover, Hingis the greatest mind.

Happy birthday Steffi.

Unusual for a male to model his game on a female, Klacr...but I'm told we all have a kinky side. I hope you weren't copying her wardrobe at the time, too....be a tough one to pull off with size 16 feet

No worries, I didn't copy her wardrobe. Don't think they make cute adidas womens tennis outfits in my size (not because I check, but because I'm making a safe assumption )

Just enjoyed watching her play. She was the best.

I sent Agassi a quick note and my post. Waiting to hear back from him. Although he may have a problem with me considering I idolized Becker and not him. Will keep you posted.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Graf forehand and footwork...the best.

Klacr,

Go to 0:27 on the clip. I still think she has the best forehand of them all...of any era. And the footwork...also the best of them all...of any era...no question here.

Not sure about the high elbow on the serve...never liked that.

She quit at 30...could have won more. She got out when the going was good...good decision....and she never looked back.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          Klacr,

Go to 0:27 on the clip. I still think she has the best forehand of them all...of any era. And the footwork...also the best of them all...of any era...no question here.

Not sure about the high elbow on the serve...never liked that.

She quit at 30...could have won more. She got out when the going was good...good decision....and she never looked back.

I agree on all points Stotty. No one else like her. Simply awesome.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Monica?

Steffi had a great forehand and great footwork. I do wonder how history would have changed if Monica Seles had not been stabbed.

Comment

Graf would have been stabbed, what would the attacker have received in jail time? Gunther parche got one night in jail, as he was "Not likely to do it again.", according to the judge. The most blatant miscarriage of justice I've ever seen on an athletic field of play. Graf sent her flowers in the hospital, which went into the garbage bin. Graf would have won about 9 fewer slams. Wherever you are Gunther, it's about time for your justice to be served.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                Graf would have been stabbed, what would the attacker have received in jail time? Gunther parche got one night in jail, as he was "Not likely to do it again.", according to the judge. The most blatant miscarriage of justice I've ever seen on an athletic field of play. Graf sent her flowers in the hospital, which went into the garbage bin. Graf would have won about 9 fewer slams. Wherever you are Gunther, it's about time for your justice to be served.
                Geoff,

It was a travesty what happened. Just the name 'Gunther Parche' makes me cringe. I have to agree that with Seles out of the game, the path was clear for Graf to rack up majors. Who knew what might have happened if Seles stayed in the game in her prime. We can only assume. And we all know what happens when we assume...

makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.

I would have loved to have seen Seles start racking up the majors. A brilliant career derailed. Sad stuff.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

BAck stabbing was the reason Seles gained 30 lbs. The reason she took off two years. Back stabbed by the German justice system, as well, whom she sued to no avail, given a German court. Wow. No one ever even talks about it. It's also a main reason why we fight ourselves on the court: psyche. She turned inward the anger, the fear, the aggression towards the back stabbers, when no justice at all came her way. Who wouldn't? We become what we resist in our inner psyche. Cops become evil. And so on. Judges become unreasonable. If I were Seles, I'd go back home, to Serb/croatia, and hire someone to take care of good ol Gunther, and make it look like suicide. Nothing less than what he deserves.

Graf also may have known all about her father's under the table plastic bag grabs. (Don't know for sure, but when you travel with someone, coached by someone, live with someone, what do you think?) He did the time, and she may have professed no knowledge to the German tax man. He had a habit of collecting $250K in appearance fees, in cash, in black plastic garbage bags, according to what I've heard, but that may not be so.

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/ref...raf/index.html According to this article, Graf never even went to court any of the 34 times her father had to go, and he only got 4 years and served only 15 months. How much time would you or I have gotten for that much tax evasion? Disgusting she did not even stand by him. Apparently, she took a call from Agassi while in the hotel room of her previous boy friend, and told him not to call her there, as reported by Gilbert, as they stayed in the same hotel as she did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-drugs.html That along with Agassi's crystal meth habit during his career, makes them quite the couple. Oh well, we all have our sins. Theirs are just larger than most in my opinion. I don't think Seles will be wishing Graf any happiness on any day.
                  I don't know, have any of you guys taken crystal? Any tax evasion issues? Most pro athletes go to body builders for ped enhancement. If he could mask meth, why not other drugs as well? HOw long is it going to take for the drug testers to actually find the drugs? Maybe they should keep the samples until their tech. can find the drugs, and if they do, all wins should be erased from the record books, all money returned.
                  Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-18-2013, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    Geoff,

It was a travesty what happened. Just the name 'Gunther Parche' makes me cringe. I have to agree that with Seles out of the game, the path was clear for Graf to rack up majors. Who knew what might have happened if Seles stayed in the game in her prime. We can only assume. And we all know what happens when we assume...

makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.

I would have loved to have seen Seles start racking up the majors. A brilliant career derailed. Sad stuff.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    Great thread and discussion. But "we all know what happens when we assume..."..."makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'." ??? Dunno. The real fun may start when one empowers oneself to assume and of course make mistakes and take one's licks. Or should I substitute "hypothesize" for "assume"?

Comment

Late Realization

Just got it-- the composition of the word "assume." That's pretty good. There's a word for that-- not palindrome but some sort of a 42nd cousin.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8565 users online. 10 members and 8555 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X