Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvey Penick...and QuickStart tennis...and don_budges rules

Originally posted by vrc10s View Post
    When Don_Budge talks about all court tennis he sounds like the proponets of Quick Start tennis or whatever name they use now. The idea is that with scaled balls, racquets and courts the younger players can come to net, use underspin and topspin, and tactics other that moon balls. The players can cover the net width wise and still cover lobs. The shorter distances (smaller courts) and more time (slower balls) should help them be successful and encourge them to try different tactics.

I use the orange balls and 60 foot courts and like them. I don't teach many under 6 classes so I don't use red balls that much, but know pros that do and enjoy them.
    That's right vrc10s...you have clearly read and discerned what I have written and tried to illustrate with words. You've read between the encrypted layers and pretty much understood what I was writing about.

I object to QuickStart and as you put it things that proclaim to be the be all and end all...namely things like "or whatever name they use now". Call it what you might it still falls under the heading...Teaching Tennis.

But that is not to say there isn't a whole bunch of relevance to a program such as QuickStart or other USTA endorsed and sanctioned methods of teaching. I freely borrow and steal from anywhere and everywhere until I have it boiled down to the Lowest Common Denominator...the LCD. I use orange balls with everyone when we are trying a new concept...depending upon the student. It doesn't matter...I use the slowest balls with the best players at times...just to illustrate a point. When you slow things down to slow motion it is easier for the noodle to wrap around it. We had a thread going on here a while back where we discussed the merits of going slow.

"Go real slow...take it as it comes"...Jim Morrison and The Doors.

But back to this kid thing. I don't have a lot of experience with the really small and I prefer not too. But even the smallest that are being introduced to tennis should have programs that are suited for them and not trying to teach them professional tennis right out of the cradle. I think that the "mini tennis" students should spend as much time doing throwing and catching exercises as well as some specific footwork running. Plus they should learn to tie their shoes. Get my drift...walk before you run.

I don't believe that we really need a sanctioned QuickStart program but what we need is a forum that is open for free thought and thinking. Not confined, boxed in, mass produced brain washing without the creative and artistic influence. That is why I presented a mini outline of my vision of what I envision a suitable "QuickStart" program to be.

It was such a good exercise to do this outline that I took it to the board and the new administrative person that they have hire here to replace my partner who was not replaced for two years. He was very receptive to my idea about starting from the net backwards because the motion is shorter and simpler, yet it must be executed somewhat more quickly and precisely as the ball has yet to bounce...where it loses approximately half of its speed.

He has outlined the new program as he saw it and he had started with forehand and backhand from the baseline but after listening to me the new outline is volleys first...moving backwards to the service line for half-volleys and abbreviated groundstrokes that are appropriate for this area of the court. Finally moving back to the baseline. The emphasis will be on moving forwards and backwards first and then the game will be boiled down to the baseline rally first and looking for the opportunity to move forwards. Even though the professional game is not being played in this manner per se...these kids will learn the "proper" game of tennis and they will eventually make up their own minds when they have that capability...which I encourage whole heartedly.

But you know what vrc10s...this method of teaching is not originally mine either. Well it is as it is applied to tennis...as far as I know. I am sure that their have been others to teach it like this that I have not heard of. But the legendary Harvey Penick from Austin, Texas reputedly taught the game of golf from the hole backwards...all the way back to the tee. I really like this technique when I was a golf instructor in a former life and used it exclusively. It worked too...the shorter swings are easier to get started with and you finally build the thing into a full swing. Plus guess what...the most important shots in golf are balls that inside of two meters from the hole. You still have to swing the putter to get that ball in the whole from that short distance. This way you begin to really understand the concept of swinging too...the small swings share many fundamental similarities as the full swing. Much as it is in tennis...you must be able to teach the student to swing. Not hit.

I really enjoy working with beginners and kids. They do matter to me. I feel that the young are the future and they do need a solid foundation on which to build...on which to mature. It is a source of great pride to teach them how to play tennis...and to play it properly. It's no easy task...I wasn't always the best student myself. Poor Coach Collins. But you know what...I still hear his voice in my ear. Stephen...he would say. Nobody else called me Stephen.
    Last edited by don_budge; 06-29-2013, 11:50 PM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Like a lot of teachers when I began running large kids camps I quickly found that scaling equipment and court size and balls was critical for younger kids and even some older kids of average abilities.

The goal is for kids to have fun and success. My first year with 5 year olds we didn't have the small rackets and slower balls. I had a 5 year old who never made contact with a ball in 2 weeks. Think he is playing now?

This was all before Quick Start. Quick Start is the change with the single greatest potential impact in the history of tennis. I batted .500 in little league. That was not at ATT Park with Barry Bonds' bat.

Anyone who would argue against this just doesn't have the right background to understand. Quick Start team tennis also eliminates the toxic one on one competition that most young inexperienced kids can't tolerate.

Some elite coaches have bitched I have a 4 year old who can win in the 12s with his babolat pure drive and yellow balls. Great. Maybe the age restriction is a debatable point. Or not because the little bastard has a western grip and is hitting balls that bounce over his head...But for the future of the game there is no debate.
      Last edited by johnyandell; 06-28-2013, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Its not about whether Quickstart works or not. Everyone is doing around the world is doing it. Quickstart will help U.S tennis improve. But, what else is there?

Comment

Helping kids learn to play and love tennis should be the overwhelming concern. More kids in means more chances that there will be diamonds among them.

Personally I think it is much more a question of who than how. If you look at great American champions over the last 30 years there was no bureacracy involved--in most cases the players and families were antithetical to this. No one talks now about the fact Venus and Serena didn't play juniors past the 12s--but when they were coming up every expert said that was a major and possibly fatal mistake. Look at Serena--now the opposite argument seems far more likely...

The false assumption is that the USTA needs to do something and that this "something" whatever it may be is the missing factor in the tragic lack of American champions on the men's side.

You can't make a silk purse from the ear of a pig. The magic kids need to be playing tennis and all the training in the world won't cause that to happen if they aren't or don't. Visit the English National Tennis Center sometime if you don't believe me...it's the best facility of it's kind in the world. We have great coaches in the states including many I know well in Boca.

Personally I don't care what country the great players are from. I want to see them and god willing study them. Hopefully some will one day again be Americans on the men's side.

Comment

1911 is a long time ago. Mein Kampf hadn't been written yet.

Comment

Bravo! Bravo, JY!

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
              Like a lot of teachers when I began running large kids camps I quickly found that scaling equipment and court size and balls was critical for younger kids and even some older kids of average abilities.

The goal is for kids to have fun and success. My first year with 5 year olds we didn't have the small rackets and slower balls. I had a 5 year old who never made contact with a ball in 2 weeks. Think he is playing now?

This was all before Quick Start. Quick Start is the change with the single greatest potential impact in the history of tennis. I batted .500 in little league. That was not at ATT Park with Barry Bonds' bat.

Anyone who would argue against this just doesn't have the right background to understand. Quick Start team tennis also eliminates the toxic one on one competition that most young inexperienced kids can't tolerate.

Some elite coaches have bitched I have a 4 year old who can win in the 12s with his babolat pure drive and yellow balls. Great. Maybe the age restriction is a debatable point. Or not because the little bastard has a western grip and is hitting balls that bounce over his head...But for the future of the game there is no debate.
              I just can't tell you how nice it is to hear/see JY go on an actual rant. And I agree completely. Kids have to have fun if we are going to keep them in the game long enough to actually learn to play "correctly". I think d_b has not understood what QuickStart is really all about. He is deeply opposed to anything that comes from an authoritarian central source. He wants individual creativity to be able to express itself. But that is exactly what QuickStart courts/rackets/balls do for the little kids. Check the list of various QuickStart videos clips I've detailed below and you will see examples of kids 8 and younger playing more serve and volley tennis and demonstrating more full court skills than our most accomplished nationally ranked 12 and under players. Any coach who has had players playing USTA competition in the 12s and in the old 10s knows that the prevailing method for maximum immediate success is moonballing. Furthermore, half the most successful 12 and under players are never heard from again by the time they are in the 16s. From what I understand, it takes two to three years for the kids to transition the skills they mastered in full court coverage and going to the net and working the ball when they switch to full size courts and rackets, but eventually those fundamental skills will find their way back into the game of a stronger, bigger, more mature player.

However, I want my young players to be in the kind of program I'm sure someone like SFRAZEUR runs at his center where someone corrects these young players when they veer down the path of extreme grips and strokes that will limit their future potential. I want to be as far as possible from that recurring scenario I see of 6 kids lined up in a row waiting for their turn to hit the feed from the pro. Let them play and develop the ability to exchange the ball in a rally. Just help them out a little bit along the way so they don't develop any irretrievably bad habits. Yeah, I know, slippery slope there, but I want some standards. Minimal, but some!

Here's my listing of a few clips that may change some of your minds about whether your kids should use QuickStart.

Here is my favorite. I finally found it:
              Best point ever

Can Mini Tennis Create More American Champions?

Belgium Under10 outdoor match

Kids Tennis Match - indoor

KIds Tennis Match Part 2

Especially good:
              Kid's Tennis Match Part 3

Foam Ball Rally - on the driveway

This is a great video from the British LTA
              It is a complete breakdown of reasons for using TAUT

(Note: the following may be out of date. I made this up a few years ago.)
              go to USTA Under10 Tennis Video 2, check the rally at 5:58 with Martin Blackman and then there is a fabulous rally at 6:32. It's too big to send to you so I'll just attach the rally separately. It's so long I have to break it up into two parts!

On the USTA site, go to Youth Tennis. On the Youth Tennis page in the mid left hand side, you will see a blue box: "Tennis for Kids 10 & Under View Videos". That button will take you to Recreational On-Court Training. Tons of videos of QuickStart Drills here. For different ages. Hit the links on the right side of the page for 5-6 Year Olds, 7-8 Year Olds and 9-10 Year Olds.

don
              Last edited by tennis_chiro; 06-28-2013, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Great clips, with much better tennis in them than I saw yesterday at a kid's tournament in Rochester, Michigan where ordinary balls were used and my 10-year-old friend Maxine didn't even get to play her scheduled singles match due to the overall disorganization.

Comment

Mini Tennis

We call it mini tennis. It's been around in the UK and Europe for many years now. In the UK and many other countries children are only allowed to use the colour of ball designated to their age group. All our tournaments are geared up this way. All the coaching is, too...excepting the odd renegade coaches.

When you see two kids playing like "little pro's" in the clips tennis_chiro posted, it's so obvious to see the benefits. JY and other posters have said it all.

US tennis is going to find itself light years behind the Europeans if it doesn't start adopting a widespread attitude to mini tennis pretty darn soon.

Steve Martens (who introduced mini tennis to the UK) was brilliant in making sure all coaches and clubs went along with mini tennis. I went to one of his nationwide roadshows where he said: "We are determined that mini tennis is the way to go. Any coach who thinks otherwise will feel like he is driving on the wrong side of the road in to traffic"

Mini tennis became enforced...quite brilliant how the LTA ensured this.
                  Stotty

Comment

Enforced to what point I guess is the question??? Age 8, 10, 12?? And should be there be a way for some young players to test out if they are truly exceptional (and not in the eyes of their parents...)?

Still the big issue is how many players can we get into the game as kids. Here are some stats I heard today from Paul Lubbers of the USTA. There are only 11,000 kids in the US playing tournaments. There are 250,000 playing high school tennis. Anyone else find those numbers shockingly low???

Comment

A ways to go

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                      Enforced to what point I guess is the question??? Age 8, 10, 12?? And should be there be a way for some young players to test out if they are truly exceptional (and not in the eyes of their parents...)?

Still the big issue is how many players can we get into the game as kids. Here are some stats I heard today from Paul Lubbers of the USTA. There are only 11,000 kids in the US playing tournaments. There are 250,000 playing high school tennis. Anyone else find those numbers shockingly low???
                      Considering there were over 14 million 14/15/16/17 year olds enrolled in high schools in Oct 2011 (http://www.census.gov/hhes/school/da...11/tables.html), that's less than one in every 56 kids playing high school tennis and less than 1 in 1000 playing tournaments. We have to do better than that and QuickStart is a means to that end.

don

Comment

are there are any number of how many kids go to tennis camps vs playing tournaments?

Comment

Don,

In a word agreed.

L and D,

Nike tennis camps alone probably has more than 11,000. Whatever the total is it's no doubt an exponent.

Comment

symbol written above and to the right of a mathematical expression to indicate the operation of raising to a power
                            a : one that expounds or interprets
                            b : one that champions, practices, or exemplifies
                            See exponent defined for English-language learners »
                            See exponent defined for kids »
                            Examples of EXPONENT

She has become one of America's foremost exponents of the romantic style in interior design.
                            The exponent 3 in 103 indicates 10 x 10 x 10.
                            Origin of EXPONENT

Latin exponent-, exponens, present participle of exponere — more at expose
                            First Known Use: 1706
                            Related to EXPONENT

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 10318 users online. 8 members and 10310 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X