Sampras serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampras serve

(BTW, on the stroke archive, body rotations is mispelled as Rotaions).

I like this side view, which really shows: how much he coils forwards, how much he lags the drop, how much he raises his front hip out over the baseline, how far forward the contact is in front of the baseline, how he faces the back fence with his chest, yet still looks forward at the toss in front, how low the leg drive dips down. It's easy to see the double circle here:

sampras motion
    sampras serve oh
    sampras serve sideways

sampras french open

did you post this because it is his birthday?

Comment

I posted it because he is the best server of all time, esp. with a 6'1" height, in his shoes, a feat no medium tall guy will ever duplicate again. His rpms were the highest other than Philopoussis.

Comment

I believe John documented that Roddick's speed/spin ratio exceeded even Pete's.

Comment

Nothing there but audio.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
            Nothing there but audio.
            Try this and let me know if it works. It should be fine, although the resolution seems to be sligthly worse than (already somewhat poor) original.

I guess that it should be sufficient quality, though (for purposes of the stroke analysis...

------------
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sejsel; 08-24-2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Doesn't work at all now.

Comment

Doesn't work at all now.
                Both Quicktime and VLC open the file without problems on my Macbook Pro.

Haven't checked on Iphone, but the conversion was made (of the original file) specifically for the Iphone 4 .mov format... So the converter app says (at least)...

----------------

Comment

Doesn't work at all now.
                  What device and app are you using to open the file ?

---------------------

Comment

DOES NOT open on a IPAD

Originally posted by sejsel View Post
                    Both Quicktime and VLC open the file without problems on my Macbook Pro.

Haven't checked on Iphone, but the conversion was made (of the original file) specifically for the Iphone 4 .mov format... So the converter app says (at least)...

----------------
                    DOES NOT open on an IPAD
                    Last edited by julian1; 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Right, changed the file in the original post...

Other than that I really don't know what to do - but hey, there's an existing younube link for this video sequence - starting at 0:41:17 (as in h:mm:ss)

at

Comment

I had an overhead view on vhs that I studied from 1989 Philly vs. Lendl. His contact is so far out front. He somehow coils very easily and holds that huge coil until leg drive begins, yet his frame has not even dropped at all when the leg drive first starts, causing a large lag that he smoothly accelerates into. His left hip bows way out over the baseline and every time I try that it hurts my hip. HIs chest faces the rear fence simply by externally rotating his shoulder very far backwards towards the net, and holds the toss arm up for a very long time, and it falls like a tree or a log, a lag_/log.
                        The contact is so far out front partly due to the 11 o'clock toss position and the arced far forward toss on the first serve, with the J toss. The shoulders "jam" themselves forward like into a parking meter slot, vertically 90 degrees straight/up/down, allowing the farthest forward contact point possible, and a farther kinetic pathway, yet smooth and relaxed, yet super fast. Even though the contact is 3-4 feet in front of the baseline, it's still almost straight/up/down due to the jammed shoulder/slot.

It's a farther forward contact point than any other server.
                        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 08-24-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sejsel View Post
                          Right, changed the file in the original post...

Other than that I really don't know what to do - but hey, there's an existing younube link for this video sequence - starting at 0:41:17 (as in h:mm:ss)

at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuZZ8053z4
                          Remarkable clip...what a find, sejsel.

How does he do that, yet the action remains so smooth? His left knee is pointing something like 45 degrees away from the baseline...towards the back fence at one point. You can use the arrow keys to pause then toggle through the phases to see what I mean.

Does anyone know how to download such a clip from Youtube on to a laptop?
                          Stotty

Comment

I had an overhead view on vhs that I studied from 1989 Philly vs. Lendl.

That must have been the (for me) memorable five-set final in 1991.

They played each other in Philly twice, I never saw the other match in 1993, it was semis - incidentally won by Lendl (!) in straight sets..

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                              Remarkable clip...what a find, sejsel.

How does he do that, yet the action remains so smooth? His left knee is pointing something like 45 degrees away from the baseline...towards the back fence at one point. You can use the arrow keys to pause then toggle through the phases to see what I mean.

Does anyone know how to download such a clip from Youtube on to a laptop?
                              Film it with your iphone and load it onto your computer dcim.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7718 users online. 9 members and 7709 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X