Brian Gordon's 3D Technology in NY Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Gordon's 3D Technology in NY Times

Good things are happening in my neck of the woods. Great profile of Brian Gordon and his 3-D Tennis Technologies in the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sp...er=rss&emc=rss

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Great news...

Klacr, this is a terrific find and a lovely thing to post.

I am always amazed how few coaches over here in the UK are aware of Brian and his work. After all, the internet has no borders. We are all living next door to each other in a sense. Yet, still, the outside backswing hasn't caught on here, even in our elite performance centres. It seems these things take so long to filter down the echelons and into the trenches. I guess the only way to speed these things up would be to have someone like McEnroe as the front man expounding the benefits and virtues of the outside backswing...and all the other stuff Brian has fathomed and worked on.

I am delighted that Brian has received such great coverage in a paper such as The New York Times. He deserves it. I love his work and find the man one of the most remarkable of our trade.

Once again, this was a really nice thing to post, Klacr.
    Last edited by stotty; 08-26-2013, 01:47 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

Delightful. And I found one very specific thing immediately to try-- to hold the point across with opposite arm until the hips have cleared. I'll try anything, and I have the kickshaw as good as any man in Illyria.

Comment

"Let go man, let go". I love this quote from Dr. Gordon. Not surprisingly, the author of this piece was too tight, trying too hard to control the ball. Ever notice how Federer, a still shot of his face at contact on the forehand(even in competition), his face is completely relaxed. I have never seen that on another player.

Great find, Kyle.

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the article. My club is about 5 miles away from Boca Lago Country Club where Brian does his teaching. I speak to a few of the pros that that teach at Boca Lago Country Club and they thoroughly enjoy it.

I'm close friends with most of the pros down here through interclub matches, special events, junior leagues and as a tester for USPTA. Many Tennis Directors are telling me some of their private club members with disposable income $$$ go their to get help and have come back with not only an improved swing thought, but the visual evidence and the plan on how to do it at their home club. yes, It can get pricey, but Boca Raton is the perfect market for that. That's a whole different story.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

We had a great time putting that piece together and it turned out ok for an "arthritic, waddling bear of a man" :-) Thanks to all for the comments.

Kyle-

Thanks for pointing out the piece and please make the 5 minute trip to RMTA to chat sometime - or I can tag along with you and John in Orlando when he gives you the inside story on Danielle .

Stotty-

Thanks for your interest in my work and your (far too) kind words. I have not forgotten your last email and will respond.
            Last edited by BrianGordon; 08-26-2013, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Very interesting. "Disposable income $$$" --are there any rates available or is it like the old joke about how much a rolls royce costs. "If you have to ask, you can't afford one!"

Comment

Well... I know many think of it as extravagant - I think of it as the best value I can provide based on the equipment used and the amount of time and work that goes into each analysis.

Currently $300.00 covers 3D real-time measurement of fh, bh, and serve with a 10 camera scientific grade motion capture system, Internet access to the computed results, and a follow-up 60-90 minute sit down analysis with me to discuss the good and the bad, and to devise a road map for future development options based on my research and coaching experiences.

Comment

Sounds fair to me. If I get down to Florida this winter like I usually do, I'm going to contact you and hopefully we can have a session.

Cheers,

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by BrianGordon View Post
                    Well... I know many think of it as extravagant - I think of it as the best value I can provide based on the equipment used and the amount of time and work that goes into each analysis.

Currently $300.00 covers 3D real-time measurement of fh, bh, and serve with a 10 camera scientific grade motion capture system, Internet access to the computed results, and a follow-up 60-90 minute sit down analysis with me to discuss the good and the bad, and to devise a road map for future development options based on my research and coaching experiences.
                    Brian--

Great article and fantastic. I am booking my flight down there ASAP. : ) I want to get into that suit.

Cheers,
                    gc

Comment

Glenn-

Hope to see you in SFL.

GC-

Long time!!! Haven't we been talking about putting you in some iteration of the suit for years??? Hearing from you reminds me it has been a long time since I made it to the bay. Thanks for chiming in and hope to see you soon.

Comment

Great thread here!

Brian,

I'd love to stop by and say hi. I'm at The Oaks and usually my ladies teams play at Boca Lago (RMTA). I'll contact you soon and we can meet up. Feel free to visit my club any time you wish as well.

And yes, I will be in attendance at the World Conference in Orlando and have a few hitting sessions booked as well as some meetings to attend to (political stuff). We will most definitely get together there as well. It should be a great event. I'm over Danielle...John said I didn't have a chance...

gsheiner,

My comment regarding "disposable income" was more a commentary on the Boca Raton crowd and their spending habits and philosophies. For what Brian charges in relation to the technology he uses and the knowledge and results gained I feel it's a great price.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

gsheiner,
                          My comment regarding "disposable income" was more a commentary on the Boca Raton crowd and their spending habits and philosophies. For what Brian charges in relation to the technology he uses and the knowledge and results gained I feel it's a great price.

Kyle,

I kinda knew where you were coming from and I was having a bit of fun with it.

I agree with you that it's not everyday you can get leading edge information from an acknowledged expert.

I'm looking forward to my session but, unfortunately its about 6 months off.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by gsheiner View Post
                            gsheiner,

Kyle,

I kinda knew where you were coming from and I was having a bit of fun with it.

I agree with you that it's not everyday you can get leading edge information from an acknowledged expert.

I'm looking forward to my session but, unfortunately its about 6 months off.

Glenn
                            Enjoy your session. It will be awesome and very eye-opening and beneficial to your game.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

3D will never replace video. Looking at white dots moving is just a gimmick.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7702 users online. 8 members and 7694 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X