2013 U. S. Open Championships...New York, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 U. S. Open Championships...New York, New York

Oops...I almost forgot. Ladies and Germs...the 2013 U. S. Open Championships.

I just turned on EuroSport and the good old U. S. Open is on with Rafafafa Nadal playing against Ryan Harrison. It's very early on but Nadal is having at it with his ass and his shorts already. I turned to my wife and asked her, "what is going on in his head that he keeps grabbing at his shorts like that in plain view of every body in New York City?"

She reminds me of Zsa Zsa Gabor in the old sitcom with Eddie Albert "Green Acres". She says to me..."maybe he just has an idea". That's all she said. Just like that. I walked out of the room saying to myself..."maybe he just has an idea". I grabbed my shorts to see if that could possibly be the case. Inconclusive.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

US Open questions

US Open is upon us!!!

Thanks for starting this thread don_budge.
    I was getting around to it but glad you beat me to the punch.

Rafa the favorite?

Serena the favorite? Can anyone beat her? Azarenka? Lisicki? Steffi Graf...sorry, just dreaming.

Will Murray defend his title? How will he handle the pressure of being defending champ?

Is Djokovic going to find his game in this event and give us the show everyone wants to see? The best hard court player for the past 3 seasons (Djokovic) vs. the best hard court player this year (Nadal).

Does Federer still have some magic left? Has to face Nadal in Quarters?

Can Delpo return to glory and hoist the trophy like he did in 2009?

Here's my obligatory Tomas Berdych statement: Looks like he got a pretty decent draw. Could face Murray in quarters. he can beat Murray. Whipped him in Cincy. US Open may be a different deal but he can do it...I know he can. Made the semis last year. Let's take it a step further this year. Better yet, let's go two steps and win the final. One of these days...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

I call used to call him: Rat boy. Now I call him: The butt pick kid.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Can Delpo return to glory and hoist the trophy like he did in 2009?

Here's my obligatory Tomas Berdych statement: Looks like he got a pretty decent draw. Could face Murray in quarters. he can beat Murray. Whipped him in Cincy. US Open may be a different deal but he can do it...I know he can. Made the semis last year. Let's take it a step further this year. Better yet, let's go two steps and win the final. One of these days...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        To answer the first question above.... Well, forget it!

Anyhow, I was at the Open all day today. (Love the tourney but walked away feeling like it's not quite Indian Wells! Seriously. Just doesn't offer the same level of fan-player proximity or overall pleasantness.) Watched much of the Kudla/Berdych match on Armstrong. Kudla has a lot of potential and played some outstanding points against B, but ultimately didn't have the firepower to do any damage to the exquisitely prepared Berdych. And that's just it: TB is fabulously prepared with his feet and shoulders that it sets him up so well to do damage from many areas of the court. I too look at him and think he's due to go all the way at a slam sooner rather than later (or never).

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrios View Post
          To answer the first question above.... Well, forget it!

Anyhow, I was at the Open all day today. (Love the tourney but walked away feeling like it's not quite Indian Wells! Seriously. Just doesn't offer the same level of fan-player proximity or overall pleasantness.) Watched much of the Kudla/Berdych match on Armstrong. Kudla has a lot of potential and played some outstanding points against B, but ultimately didn't have the firepower to do any damage to the exquisitely prepared Berdych. And that's just it: TB is fabulously prepared with his feet and shoulders that it sets him up so well to do damage from many areas of the court. I too look at him and think he's due to go all the way at a slam sooner rather than later (or never).
          Nice comments about TBerd. Glad we agree. Watched the Berdych match yesterday on TV. He made a mess of that first set but still managed to pull it out. Kudla showed some great fighting spirit but I didn't see any weapon that could earn him free points or take him to bigger heights. He will improve and rise in rankings, but not for a major breakthrough.

I've been silent on this thread since my first post because It seemed every time I mention Berdych and make some outrageous proclamation or prognostication he leaves me looking like the fool that I am. Trying to keep my mouth shut and shall remain quiet during this fortnight in hopes that what you and I both would like to happen actually does.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

A Blast from the Past U. S. Open tennis...Connors vs. Pannata

It was 1978...Adriano Panatta serving for the match at 5-4, 40-40 in the fifth. Connors with a one handed backhand down the line. To avoid a match point against.

The greatest shot in a ultimate pressure situation. Racquets? Wilson T2000 for Connors. Wood Slazenger for Panatta.
            don_budge

Comment

so little on the demise of the fed - noythe us one

Don - thank you for the memory - what do you think about the decline of Fed.

Comment

1978 Adriano Panatta...to Roger Federer 2013.

Originally posted by stevenmila View Post
                Hey stevenmila...you bet. Let me tell you a little story here. The day before Panatta was to play Connors my buddies and I were just sort of checking out the players practicing on the back courts...away from the action. We saw this Adriano Panatta fellow practicing and I was just blown away by his game. He was as elegant as Nastase without the dysfunction. He was a tall incredibly handsome guy and I said to my buddy...don't count this guy out against Connors tomorrow. The next day I watched this five set epic from the very top row of the stadium...just slightly blown away. Yeah...let's just say I was a little blown away from wind at the top of the stadium.

I will never forget the elegance of this Italian stallion against the bull dog aggression of Connors. It was such a wonderful contrast of styles. It all came down to this point. If Panatta wins it...it's match point. Needless to say Connors ended up winning the match...and the tournament. Connors was a wrecking machine that year at the Open. He beat McEnroe and Borg in straight sets on his way to the title. The only sets he lost the entire tournament were the two to Panatta. That gives you a bit of an idea of the diversity of style that tennis was being played...in those day. Another interesting thing that you will note in the draw is that they played two out of three sets up to the quarters.

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

I saw Björn beat an American named Harold Solomon in the quarters. Borg looked like he was hitting a baseball from three or four meters behind the baseline. Those were the days...of classic tennis.

About Roger Federer...I don't quite know what to make of what he is going through. I suspect some kind of personal crisis. An existential moment. He has not been himself and it isn't that he is too old. The racquet quandary sort of gives it away with him. He seems to be betwixt and between somehow. Everyone goes through crises in their lives. He appears to be smack dab in the middle of something. It isn't as if he is just losing to the usual suspects...now it is as if anyone that steps onto the court has a chance. Depending upon who shows up. He isn't feeling good about things in general...I can tell you that. Maybe he has a girlfriend that he is in love with but cannot make up his mind to leave his family. Who knows?
                Last edited by don_budge; 09-04-2013, 04:37 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTIxobZMzBg

It was 1978...Adriano Panatta serving for the match at 5-4, 40-40 in the fifth. Connors with a one handed backhand down the line. To avoid a match point against.

The greatest shot in a ultimate pressure situation. Racquets? Wilson T2000 for Connors. Wood Slazenger for Panatta.
                  Nice find...

Panatta, according to my Italian wife is Italy's most famous tennis player... more for his outstanding physique and good looks than anything else.

Now he's fat and races power boats, but looks back on his days as a handsome tennis player with great affection. My wife says he's a really nice man.

Must have been irritating playing Connors with his ridiculous over the top celebrations.
                  Stotty

Comment

Classic tennis lives at US Open

My note today for 10sBalls.com:

Saw part of a very watchable match from the US Open today.
                    Occasional serve-and-volley strategy, lots of trips to the net (48 out of 108 points concluded at the net),

Only 3 double faults by each player,

Great use of the slice backhand and the slice backhand approach shot,

Great point construction with each player striving for the advantage to take control of the point - not merely waiting for an error,

The winner actually held serve in 6 of 8 service games and didn't even allow her opponent a break point in the second set.

Yes, this was the women's quarterfinal between the two 30+ Italian women, Flavia Pennetta and Roberta Vinci. Two very classy ladies who displayed more elegance than you will ever find on the cover of the SI Swimsuit edition; they were a great pleasure to watch in this match. And there was barely a grunt to be heard. Oh there was a little air expulsion as the ball was struck but nothing distracting. Such a joy. You could actually hear the quality of the ball strike.

Vinci was the more aggressive as far as going to the net, but both players demonstrated complete mastery of all aspects of the game from passing shots to the ability to get the second serve in under pressure to approach shots and lobs and overheads. They played like the true professionals they are.

And Penetta really played beautifully. She took some balls down the line for winners that would have been just as good against Serena. She was just too good today for her higher ranked good friend. Coming back from an injury, she is taking this opportunity to reassert herself as the top woman in Italy. Little Italy with Errani, Pennetta, Vinci, Schiavone, Knapp and now Giorgi is doing something right. I hope Giorgi spends some time hanging out with the Italian veterans. They can show her a lot and with her talent and firepower and a little of their wisdom, she could be a top 5 player within two years.

More than likely, Azarenka will pound Hantuchova into submission tonight (already up 6-2, 0-1) and unless Pennetta has a tremendous serving day, Vika will feast on her second serve. But for once, it was nice to see players, especially women players, trying to work their way to the net to finish the point off. And both women volleying beautifully.

Not quite like watching Goolagong float across the court, but definitely one of the best displays of women's tennis and the art of tennis in general that I have seen in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                      My note today for 10sBalls.com:

Saw part of a very watchable match from the US Open today.
                      Occasional serve-and-volley strategy, lots of trips to the net (48 out of 108 points concluded at the net),

Only 3 double faults by each player,

Great use of the slice backhand and the slice backhand approach shot,

Great point construction with each player striving for the advantage to take control of the point - not merely waiting for an error,

The winner actually held serve in 6 of 8 service games and didn't even allow her opponent a break point in the second set.

Yes, this was the women's quarterfinal between the two 30+ Italian women, Flavia Pennetta and Roberta Vinci. Two very classy ladies who displayed more elegance than you will ever find on the cover of the SI Swimsuit edition; they were a great pleasure to watch in this match. And there was barely a grunt to be heard. Oh there was a little air expulsion as the ball was struck but nothing distracting. Such a joy. You could actually hear the quality of the ball strike.

Vinci was the more aggressive as far as going to the net, but both players demonstrated complete mastery of all aspects of the game from passing shots to the ability to get the second serve in under pressure to approach shots and lobs and overheads. They played like the true professionals they are.

And Penetta really played beautifully. She took some balls down the line for winners that would have been just as good against Serena. She was just too good today for her higher ranked good friend. Coming back from an injury, she is taking this opportunity to reassert herself as the top woman in Italy. Little Italy with Errani, Pennetta, Vinci, Schiavone, Knapp and now Giorgi is doing something right. I hope Giorgi spends some time hanging out with the Italian veterans. They can show her a lot and with her talent and firepower and a little of their wisdom, she could be a top 5 player within two years.

More than likely, Azarenka will pound Hantuchova into submission tonight (already up 6-2, 0-1) and unless Pennetta has a tremendous serving day, Vika will feast on her second serve. But for once, it was nice to see players, especially women players, trying to work their way to the net to finish the point off. And both women volleying beautifully.

Not quite like watching Goolagong float across the court, but definitely one of the best displays of women's tennis and the art of tennis in general that I have seen in a long time.
                      Bravo! I watched this match today. Beautiful tennis. I love Vinci more for her game, I love Pennetta more for other things

Great tactics, wonderful ball striking. Angles, volleys, cat and mouse between the two. I agree with Don on this one. It was just one of those matches that was fun to watch and you savored it because it does not happen often.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

The Decline...

Originally posted by stevenmila View Post
                        But the real problem is...the decline of Roger Federer will coincide with the decline in tennis. The question has been posed..."What is wrong with American Men?".

The true answer may be a rather long story...but what if the real reason is that the decline in American tennis could be attributed to the boredom of the game? That's an interesting thought...don't you think?

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

If you look at the draw sheet from the 1978 U. S. Open and you are familiar with the names and their games you realize that it is obvious...the game is very one dimensional these days and it has been Engineered Beyond All Recognition. A new acronym...EBAR. Anybody that thinks the 128 draw of today's Open is deeper than that of 1978 is just plain ignorant. They just don't know any better. There was so much talent and diversity of style in that draw it is just unbelievable compared to todays piddly standards. Modern tennis buffs would be embarrassed if they only knew.

The scary thing about this is...what about the rest of history? What if the rest of history can be manipulated so easily? What if the masses of people can be so easily misled about things like...life without cell phones? When people actually engaged with one another.

Look at the posts here on this thread. There is virtually nothing to write about. Even I cannot find anything to extrapolate on. Nobody even batted an eyelash when Federer lost to Robredo...except for stevenmila. Everyone yawned except klacr (who shed yet another tear) when Wawrinka toppled Berdych.

tennis_chiro makes a lame attempt...God bless him. Much ado about nothing though...it is only in regard to some second or third rate Italian ladies. What about the men? It has gotten to the point where the coaches only write about forehands and whether they are holding to the Brian Gordon model with his suped up wired to the teeth contraption. Is it type 2 or type 3? Gee I don't know. Let's see here. Brian says...zzzzzzzz! Nap time.

(Don't misinterpret me...even though I always leave myself wide open to misinterpretation. Brian is a really talented and positive contributor to the tennis world. Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's just that I don't see him walking on water like the rest seem to.)

Political correctness at its finest hour. Boring. A real lack of diversity. True diversity. Not the lame rendition that the politicians have invented.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 09-05-2013, 03:01 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

The Richard Gasquet Backhand...

A match of marginal interest...he goes up against the "meat grinder" next. Richard Gasquet does us all a huge favor and spares us another Rafael Nadal vs. David Ferrer matchup. I will bury the nickname that I gave him in appreciation of his win over the overrated "EverReady Energizer Bunny"...David Ferrer. Perhaps the boringest yet most winningest player ever. Does that make sense?

One of my all time favorite David Ferrer matches...he loses to Richard Gasquet in five sets...6-3, 6-1, 4-6, 2-6, 6-3. Gasquet painted some life into the match, which is not an easy thing to do...considering. David made a valiant attempt to lull everyone to sleep...including Gasquet. But Gasquet fought off the sleepiness and prevailed. Thank God.

Leave it to the French to upset the apple cart of conventional wisdom. Gasquet attacks off of the one hand backhand! Terrifically interesting that each French player has their own delicious interpretation of the game of tennis. Of course the game is highly technical...especially in the age of gizmos and contraptions. Electronics! Data! Super cyber stuff!

But for the French it still remains an art somehow. Vive la France! I don't know how they do it. Producing a lot of players...each with their own take on things. Leave it to the French. It must be the Parisian hour. What a novel idea! Something to break up the monotony!
                          Last edited by don_budge; 09-04-2013, 11:52 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                          don_budge

Comment

Wawrinka seems poised for a breakthrough today vs Murray. Should be a great match. Nadal's beat down of Robredo does not bode well for Gasquet. Gasquet's backhand can certainly hold up better to the oncoming barrage than Robredo's, but it is hard to see him really challenging Nadal. And I think draw is way deeper that it was in 1978.
                            Last edited by stroke; 09-05-2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I can see Murray taking care of Wawrinka just fine. Gasquet has about as much chance as me. I cannot see Djokovic coming unstuck either.

The 1970s had great depth, far greater than today. I know because I was there. These days I don't tune in until the semis. I like seeing the top four tough it out despite the fact it happens repeatedly. They're in a bubble all of their own but I like it. Shame Federer is looking washed up. Apparently you have to go in to overdrive fitnesswise to be able to keep pace from thirty onwards...and Federer isn't doing that. He needs to chat with Agassi and Connors. He does look a tad slimmer of late, though.

The lack of depth is a real problem. If the top four got killed in a plane crash, tennis would be all but finished for a few years at least.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7690 users online. 6 members and 7684 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X