• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JY Analysis of Delpo Forehand in USA Today

Ladies and gentlemen, check out it out:

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/juan...ning-forehand/
    Love it...love it...us regulars know this stuff by our association with you and Tennisplayer...but I just love to see your knowledge up there in "bright lights" for all to see...terrific.

HEIGHT/AGILITY/BALANCE:

"He also can hit down on the ball, which, when forced to the side of the court, opens up acute angles."

Though I've read most of your stuff on TP, I'd missed this insight...good one.
    Stotty

Comment

Yeah because I don't believe that...I edited it out of Doug's draft and he put it back...

Comment

Delpo Forehand on the Run...Federer's Achilles...

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/juan...ning-forehand/
        Excellent piece! A main reason Federer lost at the US Open a few years back to Delpo. Roger kept hitting (senselessly) to Delpo's forehand thinking he probably would win the point. Delpo hit so many winners screaming right back at Federer...if you recall...literally at Federer from outside the court (past the singles line). The Delpo forehand wasn't well placed but the pace probably shocked Federer who made quite a few errors trying to handle it.

Unfortunately, that's Federer's Achilles....he doesn't play logically/rationally with disciplined tactics. If he is losing due to a poor tactical plan, he will stick to the losing game. It cost him against Delpo...against Marat at the Australian way back...Now it costs him against other players in the top 20-30. Roger can still be #1-2 but he suffers from fight/confidence and lack of disciplined tactics. So he lost to a disciplined worker in Tommy Robredo. Plenty of unsure tactics, missed slices (Roger misses so many neutral backhand slices and volleys). Robredo is willing to drive the ball 3-4 times to push Roger back into the backhand corner and then open the court. Federer isn't willing to do that.
        And of course, he won't do that against a Nadal or Djokovic. Sadly.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7680 users online. 8 members and 7672 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X