Tennis Players Superstitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis Players Superstitions

Here's an amusing article that appeared in the New York Times. It talks about players superstitions and to what lengths they will go.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/sp...s&emc=rss&_r=0

What's the craziest superstition you've heard of? Do you have any quirks or superstitions when you play?

There are theories in the article but I trust yours over the players/broadcasters that were quoted. In your opinion, Is this a necessary mental tool to keep players focused or is it just tennis players clinging to something to feel unique, special or under control?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

P.S. And yes...I already asked Tim Mayotte about the pints of chocolate chip ice cream in 1983.

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Here's an amusing article that appeared in the New York Times. It talks about players superstitions and to what lengths they will go.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/sp...s&emc=rss&_r=0

What's the craziest superstition you've heard of? Do you have any quirks or superstitions when you play?

There are theories in the article but I trust yours over the players/broadcasters that were quoted. In your opinion, Is this a necessary mental tool to keep players focused or is it just tennis players clinging to something to feel unique, special or under control?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

P.S. And yes...I already asked Tim Mayotte about the pints of chocolate chip ice cream in 1983.

I think McEnroe's walking in lines was a weird one. But Tappy Larsen (played in the 1950s) was a fully fledged OCD sufferer who compulsively tapped everything he went past...including his opponent. Imagine that...being tapped on the shoulder twice at every changeover by Larsen. Someone like Nadal would probably beat him up for that these days. Larsen also talked out loud to an imaginary character sitting on his shoulder, during matches. So if you think Nadal has OCD problems, Larsen's were more real and far worse.

He was apparently treated with affection by the fellow players of his day. I wonder if he would be sympathised with today.
    Stotty

Comment

Fabulous. But when it comes to The Butt Pick Kid, note how The New York Times won't touch that, preferring to dwell only on his water bottles. The old New York Herald Tribune wouldn't have been as squeamish as that.

Comment

I am good at giving out nick names: job man, consigliere, andaji, sauli, cunta pathetica, the cow (for hanging breasts), butt pick kid: aka: rat boy, DaJoker, and now for Jy: Vidman.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8070 users online. 5 members and 8065 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X