Bryan Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryan Brothers

I am watching some good doubles. The Bryan brothers against Fleming/Marray.
    There has been a 21 shot rally and a 17 shot rally.
    But my real questions is does anyone know why Bob payed the ad court and Mike the duece court when they played Nestor and his partner the other day? I have never seen them receive in those positions. Do you think it was to defend against Nestor's left handed serve?
    Today they are back to their "normal" sides.

Just wondering if anyone had seen or heard why.

Originally posted by vrc10s View Post
    I am watching some good doubles. The Bryan brothers against Fleming/Marray.
    There has been a 21 shot rally and a 17 shot rally.
    But my real questions is does anyone know why Bob payed the ad court and Mike the duece court when they played Nestor and his partner the other day? I have never seen them receive in those positions. Do you think it was to defend against Nestor's left handed serve?
    Today they are back to their "normal" sides.

Just wondering if anyone had seen or heard why.
    Apparently it was desperate measure to try and mix things up as they felt the match was running away from them. It worked!

I didn't see the game. Doubles isn't what it was when the top players routinely played the doubles events as well as singles. Compared the Hewitt and Mcmillan, Newcombe and Roache...McEnroe and anyone...it's all a bit bland.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      Apparently it was desperate measure to try and mix things up as they felt the match was running away from them. It worked!

I didn't see the game. Doubles isn't what it was when the top players routinely played the doubles events as well as singles. Compared the Hewitt and Mcmillan, Newcombe and Roache...McEnroe and anyone...it's all a bit bland.
      I didn't see the first set, did they play their normal sides.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Full explanation of the switch in this article

Article in 10sBalls.com from Matt Cronin

...they pulled a switch in the past before against Nestor and it had worked They understand the ebbs and flows of the game. Against another talented veteran in Nestor, whom they say they have played more than 50 times, they were down a set and a break. They felt like their window of winning the match was rapidly closing so they made a heady move that saved their chance of making more history. They switched return of serve courts and then broke Nestor four straight times.

“It’s a pretty big deal because we just never practice the other way,” the right-handed Mike Bryan said. “I have only taken a few deuce court returns in the last three, four years. I don’t see it very often. We’re not very comfortable with our second shots. We’re not used to poaching with our backhand volleys in the middle. But when you’re desperate, you have nothing to lose just because we didn’t have much hope the other way.”

Bob, who is left-handed, moved to the ad court in order to try to nullify the left-handed Nestor’s serving into the deuce court. He was eating Bob alive with wicked twisters down the T. So Bob went to Mike are reminded him t.

“He was creating some incredible angles in the deuce court wide, and he was serving the lefty T, so it felt like the box was huge,” Bob said. “I thought I would have a little bit better chance in the ad where he would have to come right down the T to my backhand, and if I slid around I would get more forehands. It ended up working out, but it was just a desperate call. We were feeling a little bit hopeless on the return games, and throwing in a switch like that sometimes is a psychological advantage.”

Comment

It's calle adjusting to the opponent. Not many can reason during battle.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7676 users online. 8 members and 7668 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X