A New Teaching System: The Second Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
    As someone who tends to teach second serve principles very early in development, I think this should be required reading. I'm a firm believer (in the long term residual benefits) of working early on the more left ball placement as it promotes steeper (cartwheeling) shoulder rotation, upward chest angle, inside the hand contact position, and because of the more topspin axis rotation, a real "acceleration", racquet head speed emphasis.
    Now that's a great post.

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
      As someone who tends to teach second serve principles very early in development, I think this should be required reading. I'm a firm believer (in the long term residual benefits) of working early on the more left ball placement as it promotes steeper (cartwheeling) shoulder rotation, upward chest angle, inside the hand contact position, and because of the more topspin axis rotation, a real "acceleration", racquet head speed emphasis.
      Interesting post. I tend not to teach the second serve early. Sometimes it's debatable whether I will teach a "kick" second serve at all, because I feel unless a student has the potential to do it well, it's likely the serve will just "sit up" to be hit. I feel the mechanics have to be real solid before students embark on learning a "kick" second serve.

I guess a lot depends on the quality/standard of the students in question. I've had a handful of students who have gone on to develop really good second serves....the others I have taught to hit upwards and roll the ball in deep. There's a lot to be said for deep placement...getting the ball safe. I find this can work to top amateur level.

Interesting your thoughts on cartwheeling, upward chest angle, etc. I had never really considered this.
      Stotty

Comment

If I get the point of the article when teaching the basic motion, positions, etc you are actually teaching the core of the first serve and the second serve at the same time.

Comment

The transcript first...my thoughts to follow.

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Would love to get your thought's on "A New Teaching System: The Second Serve"!
          Once upon a time...back in The Dark Ages when I was learning Calculus...my father the Mathematics Professor trained me to hand write out the long proofs, theorems, definitions and problems as the repetitiveness of that endeavor made clear to me what I lacked in white light inside the Gold Mine. By writing out these transcripts...I have listened repeatedly to the words of John Yandell and have gotten a higher yet deeper appreciation for his teachings. Thank you...one and all.

This is John Yandell and welcome back to our instructional series on the serve. In the previous articles we have covered to core technical elements to the basic motion. Now let’s turn to the second serve...one of the most vital shots in tennis. Usually one of the weakest at the club level and undoubtably one of the most misunderstood.

Here’s a legitimate question...is there really such a thing as “the second serve”. I mean is the sense is it somehow unique or completely different technically. No the differences in the second serve are a matter of variations and degree. These relate to the toss, the ball position at contact, the racquet path and the upward swing and the amount and type of spin. So let’s see how to take the high level technical motion we presented in the other articles and add the variations you need to develop a reliable, aggressive and effective second serve.

In our series so far we’ve taken a detailed look at the fundamentals of high level serving and what to incorporate for your game and your level and especially how. The fundamentals for the second serve are essentially the same. In reality...the second serve is a variation on the basic motion not a distinct stroke that has to be learned independently.

We can see this by looking closely by looking at the second serve motion of Roger Federer. The common elements with the first serve include the starting stance, the windup, the racquet drop, the rotation of the hitting arm and the use of the legs. The primary difference is an increase in the amount and type of spin particularly the topspin component.

This is accomplished by altering the contact point and the path of the upward swing. The first serve contact point is inside the hitting hand...usually somewhere over the hitting shoulder. It is also usually at the front edge of the body or slightly further out front. The second serve contact point is further to the player’s left usually somewhere over the head or the edge of the head when seen from the front or the rear. It is also further back when viewed from the side...a few inches behind the front plane of the body...again somewhere a somewhere over the head.

As we have seen...the toss travels on an arc, but look at the difference. The first serve toss travels mostly upward and downward. Compare that to the second serve toss which travels significantly further to the player’s left. The second serve toss arcs slightly less forward resulting in the contact behind the edge of the body. From this ball position the player is now able to hit more directly upward to the contact.

Look at the angle of the racquet to the contact. On the first serve the tip is beveled slightly to the player’s left. On the second serve this angle can be doubled. The path of the racquet after contact also shows the more radical upward swing plane. On the first serve the racquet arm comes across the baseline at about a 30 to 45 degree angle, but on the second serve the movement is much more radically to the right.

Notice also that on the second serve the shoulders tend to be more closed to the baseline contact, whereas they have rotated further on the first. The ball placement on the toss is critical for making this happen. Start by modeling your contact point for the second serve...now close your eyes and create a mental image. As you toss the ball, visualize the arc of the toss passing directly through this image of the contact.

Studies show that although the racquet path is substantially different on the second serve...racquet head speed is remarkably similar on both deliveries. It’s important to swing out and not hold back on the second serve and this in fact is the key to generating extra spin. The follow through should be natural and relaxed and in most cases will finish across the body in front of the left leg, similar to the first serve.

The use of high speed video feedback is especially critical for establishing the second serve contact point. Film from both the side and rear views and compare your actual positions to your models. Keep working until they coincide and you are producing the type of heavy, consistent second serve that makes the shot an asset in your game.

So that’s it for the second serve. Next...rhythm. Every player needs to develop his own rhythm. See the factors that go in developing a smooth and effortless delivery and how rhythm leads to consistency and effective serving.

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

The Model is Federer...

Some Roger Federer serve analysis...interesting comparison of first and second serve.

don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Biggest new intelligence for somebody who thinks he already knows the other stuff in this specific youtube comparison: First serve "pronation," i.e., internal rotation of upper arm (primarily) is quicker and more violent on a first serve. Second serve same is milder, a slower, longer "brush." And that is in contrast to other elements that make total energy expenditure equal or even greater in the case of the second serve.

Comment

Game theory on risk-reward?

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                You guys give me too much credit. The numbers are out there but someone would have to compile them...but my impression is second serve speed is going up just like all ball speed.

The idea of hitting two first serves...yeah I read that article. There is an assumption there that these guys are robots and can just produce shots according to certain percentages should they choose to. Obviously the feeling of hitting a first and second serve is different emotionally and psychologically and that's why it's kind of a silly idea in my opinion.
                A few random items that seem to fit together re going big on second serve vs cliche of fearing a double fault:

1) I remember as a kid watching b&w TV with Donald Dell announcing. Dell ridiculed someone (Nastasse?) "Top pros almost never hit drop shots or top spin lobs; they're too risky." Seems quaint, watching the ATP WTF where everyone, even Nadal is hitting drop shots (key to win over Wawrinka) and TS lobs.

2) In NFL Chicago Bears with a first-year coach went for it on 4th and 1 in their own territory despite having the lead late, and won the game. NYT article, roughly: "While academics show that this is the right call statistically, and you'll win more often this way, NFL coaches almost never do because of the risk of failure."

3) Game theory shows that given an equal or even slightly worse chance of winning later, instead of winning immediately, most people will chose to defer losing.

Comment

Well there is game theory and then there is the feeling of having to hit a second serve on big point at a critical moment in serious competition.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2552 users online. 0 members and 2552 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X