Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    It's not a grand slam, Davis Cup or Masters 1000 event. It's just a 250 event. But it's one I enjoy. Something special about the Stockholm Open. The echo and acoustics of the ball being struck in that indoor facility known as Kungliga Tennishallen.
    Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Thanks for starting this thread!
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Raonic vs Johannson

Everyone seems to have forgotten all the extraneous stuff that surrounded Joachim's early success. He had been dating Hewitt's younger sister for about 4 years when they met in the semis of the US Open after Johannson beat Roddick in the quarters in 2004. When he was on, I remember him as being the most powerful player on tour. He was gone so quickly. I'll be watching tomorrow too.

don

Comment

Something for everyone...when tennis mirrors life

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        I actually prefer The Rolling Stones to the Beatles. The Stones never evolved much, and much of their music has the same sound...but I prefer their songs.
        The Stones...I see one of the Stones at Arabian Horse shows on occasion.

Our prize mare has gone up against theirs on a couple of occasions. Charlie Watts. Story lines evolving and morphing out of the Stockholm Open thread. Pure theater. Love it guys...keep it up.

The Stones always seemed to be under a dark star if you know what I mean. The Beatles were from a different planet than them altogether...the contrast between the two is almost McEnroe and Borg...esque.

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
        Everyone seems to have forgotten all the extraneous stuff that surrounded Joachim's early success. When he was on, I remember him as being the most powerful player on tour.

don
        His forehand makes Sergi's look like a vanilla slurry slurpie with all of that slobbery spin. Rpm's...how about Uyh's. You saw the serve in the klacr post...just get a load of his forehand. It is a bomb! He qualified with some rust but judging from the results he may be feeling it...if he is striking it cleanly...look out Milos. Maybe the King will show up tonight to egg him on.

Taco's tennis_chiro? That is what I miss most here...some good Mexican food. Do you know of any nice Mexican families that would like to relocate and start up a business here? Better yet...why don't you come over. We'll open up a Mexican restaurant and start a tennis center in the same complex. What shall we call it? Tacos and Tennis? The Two Don's? Sounds like a winner!

Don't mind me...I'm just tripping. She's a big teaser...she took me half the way there. It took me so long to find out...but I found out.

Beatlemania!!!! And the Stockholm Syndrome...what a great theme for a thread.

Remember I will always be true...all my loving...darling.

Last edited by don_budge; 10-17-2013, 02:20 AM.
        don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

But the real story line is in the crowd. In the faces of the Swedish people. The Stockholmites. I always wonder what is going on in the "collective unconscious. In this case...the faces will be for the most part indecipherable. Like the poker face of Björn Borg. You guys all thought that he was such an enigma. Ha...he was just being Swedish. So what is going on in the faces? Not much...just concentrating on their own business and staying between the lines that the culture has drawn for them.

Perhaps that is one reason that the Swedes excelled so disproportionately at one time in tennis...they are master at staying between the lines. They know their limits...they know where the boundaries are. This is all quite a mystery to a wild American...where the lines were always a bit obscure.

There is a story line here...klacr...thanks for the ideas. I smell a book! At least an essay. Maybe coming to "Traditional Thoughts" at tennisplayer.net!

Swedes do not get too high or too low. Not great but not bad. Just in the middle. No use getting too excited. Stoic people. Quiet people. In Sweden, the expression is something like "Talking is silver, silence is golden". In a sport where too much emotion is wasting energy, the swedes should excel. don_budge is correct with Borg. he wasn't unusual or mysterious, he was Swedish.

here's a clip of Swedish behavior...although a parody, you get the point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3lfCFCozvw

Quarterfinal match-ups tomorrow: Dimitrov vs. De Schepper, Ferrer vs. Verdasco, Janowicz vs. Gulbis, Paire vs. Johansson/Raonic.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Sex and tennis

Amazing what Borg triggered in Swedish tennis, isn't it? We're hoping Murray is going to do the same for British tennis. My wife says with looks like Murray's got...no chance. She said there's nothing quite like a sex symbol to make a sport...or anything for that matter...appealing.

Liked the clip, Klacr.
            Last edited by stotty; 10-17-2013, 12:09 PM.
            Stotty

Comment

Not too thrilling so far

Swedes do not get too high or too low. Not great but not bad. Just in the middle. No use getting too excited. Stoic people. Quiet people. In Sweden, the expression is something like "Talking is silver, silence is golden". In a sport where too much emotion is wasting energy, the swedes should excel. don_budge is correct with Borg. he wasn't unusual or mysterious, he was Swedish.

here's a clip of Swedish behavior...although a parody, you get the point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3lfCFCozvw

Quarterfinal match-ups tomorrow: Dimitrov vs. De Schepper, Ferrer vs. Verdasco, Janowicz vs. Gulbis, Paire vs. Johansson/Raonic.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              I thought Pim Pim's match with Raonic was a bit of a let down. Imagine those two players that Hewitt beat on his way to the 2004 US Open finals, Haas in the quarters and Johannson in the semis, both in straight sets. Think of all the injuries all three have had. Johannson originally may have seemed the one who had the highest potential, certainly the most offense. Think if Hewitt had had a little of that power and height. Look how well Haas has adapted and grown as a player to still be top 15. On the other hand, Pim Pim's game seemed one-dimensional to me. The serve was fabulous if it went in, but if it was returned he was often caught poorly prepared for the next ball. The forehand was certainly devastating almost every time he hit it, except that sometimes it was he himself who suffered the unnecessary devastation from the unforced error.

You would have thought, or at least I would have thought, that 9 years later there would be some signs of further development in the game even if you were not as fast. I guess I don't know the whole story of his injuries, but I have to respect even more the stories of guys like Hewitt, Haas and Baker (wow, just looked at American rankings to find Baker's name and it doesn't look good for the old US of A. Eliminate two guys 6' 6" and above and we don't have anyone in the top 86.

I'm curious to see how Janowicz makes out with Gulbis. Some big hitting there,but both of them can rally. Chance for Dimitrov to assert himself and also a chance for Ferrer to trumpet his #3 ranking is not a fluke.

don

PS I loved the skit about Swedish style.

Comment

LÃ¥gom...moderation is the best (only) policy

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                The word is "lågom"...as in log om. It is the key principle in Swedish Society. The old fashioned Swedes...the older generation Swedes that is. Moderation is the strict interpretation of the word but the concept permeates this society in ways that by only immersing oneself into can you begin to understand the true meaning. Moderation is sustainable...as a long distance runner paces himself whereas the sprinter shoots his load in a flash and has nothing left.

Swedes deep down inside love the American way but could never find the courage to pull off such an act themselves. Years of social engineering to this effect have each individual securely placed in a box that is a nice moderate and safe place to be. Never failing...but on the other hand never seeking the heights of success or the adulation of others. Aim for the middle...that's the ticket.

It's a long story...but such an interesting one. From the land of Vikings and that excursion into wild barbarism to the moderate and effeminate society in place today. There is the veneer of tolerance on top of a cauldron of resentment of anything different that doesn't fit into the Swedish sense of sensibility. Read this for an interesting treatment of the phenomenon.

or the Wikipedia treatment...

You can imagine that a person such as myself might have some problems fitting in such a box. But I am within myself a moderate person by nature so I understand where it all comes from. Being a tennis player helps a bit as you read people and realize that you must spin back whatever is spun to you.

Living out in the country and working in tennis and translating research papers is a blessing in my case. Interaction with people is minimal and when there is...I am the teacher. There are fewer possibilities of the foreigner faux pas. I get a bit of a "McEnroe pass" in a number of respects of which I am eternally grateful of the people and the society in general. It's a strange chemistry...but that is not to say that my chemistry with America is not without its wrinkles. I am living on the razor's edge much of the time...but I always have though.
                Last edited by don_budge; 10-17-2013, 11:44 PM.
                don_budge

Comment

Sexiness...and tennis.

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                  Amazing what Borg triggered in Swedish tennis, isn't it? We're hoping Murray is going to do the same for British tennis. My wife says with looks like Murray's got...no chance. She said there's nothing quite like a sex symbol to make a sport...or anything for that matter...appealing.

Women understand that kind of thing and my wife thinks Andy Murray is a dreadful bore. It's interesting that Great Britain, Sweden and the United States are searching for their tennis identities. Toss in Australia too.

My contention is that the family was the basis of tennis participation when I was growing up but society has really changed since then. Nobody was an accredited tennis instructor back then...can we see your papers please? The nuclear family has been all but engineered out of existence.

Great point Stotty about the sex appeal. Where is it? These guys are really dreadfully boring. Murray in particular.
                  don_budge

Comment

Let down? Or rather typical routine standard of tennis today.

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                    I thought Pim Pim's match with Raonic was a bit of a let down.
                    don
                    Yes...in a sense. But on the other hand it is just another match of modern tennis. Such big hitting. Shock and awe. Pim Pim is not sharp enough to sustain that kind of speed against another big hitter such as Raonic.

Raonic is also more consistent although less flashy. All in all, it was a boring display of tennis. Much as all tennis is boring nowadays. Only the top echelon of players are equipped to truly entertain us and that is only because there is nothing else left.

There is a huge vacuum now that Roger Federer is singing his swan song. There is a huge sucking sound and it wouldn't surprise me if tennis started reengineering itself into something more moderate and sustainable. Something more "lågom"...as the Swedes might say.

So Pim Pim and Robin Söderling were the last stars to shine in Swedish tennis. Being a tennis instructor here in Sweden that doesn't leave much of a role model to refer to. Tall as a tree and swinging from the heels. Are you guys really satisfied that this was the way to go?

Right from the getgo...I was vehemently opposed to the engineering. This is what I foresaw. Way too much power and way too much speed. It isn't pretty and it isn't sustainable. Normal human beings were not designed to perform at this level...so have we engineered the game beyond realistic expectations of the race? Tough questions to answer.

That being said...I am pulling for Jerzy Janowicz. But he is an elusive entity...fits of inconsistency. His psychological makeup is a bit of a loose cannon. Much as the fears of tennis_chiro were expressed when he melted down in Florida. I was hoping that it was passion and not just a poor acting job. We shall see but I am afraid that not matter what...these matches are just too tough to watch. It's too fast and just beyond realistic.

Sort of like life is today. We need to slow down or risk running pall mell over the cliff.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 10-18-2013, 12:03 AM.
                    don_budge

Comment

The Stockholm Syndrome...

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                      Right from the getgo...I was vehemently opposed to the engineering. This is what I foresaw. Way too much power and way too much speed. It isn't pretty and it isn't sustainable. Normal human beings were not designed to perform at this level...so have we engineered the game beyond realistic expectations of the race? Tough questions to answer.

It's too fast and just beyond realistic.

Sort of like life is today. We need to slow down or risk running pall mell over the cliff.
                      Tennis is in general in the grips of a serious case of the Stockholm Syndrome. So many go along even though it is obvious that something is seriously wrong...I guess that many don't know any better. Major components of the original game have been lost in the process...and that is supposed to be alright?

Stockholm Syndrome...feelings of trust or affection in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

ORIGIN 1970's: with a reference to a bank robbery in Stockholm, Sweden.

What a coincidence...the origin of the term was in the 1970's at the same time that classic tennis was abducted and we were left with this "modern tennis" in the end. Just another case of tennis mirroring life.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 10-18-2013, 01:25 AM.
                      don_budge

Comment

Looks like this Thread is right into don_budge's sweet spot...

Slight chance for Johansson to have taken that 2nd set last night. Sadly Raonic just too solid and consistent. Hopefully we can see more of Johansson in the future.

Ernest Gulbis defeated Jerzy Janowicz in three sets. He has to play David ferrer in the semis.

Verdasco pulled out of his match against Ferrer before taking court, citing injury. That's a disappointment. I wish he would have pulled out of event the round before when he played my friend Jarkko Nieminen.

Dimitrov vs. De Schepper and Raonic vs Paire still to come.

Big opportunity for all these men to pick up a much needed 250 points.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Dimitrov vs. Gulbis...Ferrer vs. Paire? Another permutation?

Looks like this Thread is right into don_budge's sweet spot...

Dimitrov vs. De Schepper and Raonic vs Paire still to come.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          Nice shot...klacr! Yeah...the whole Swedish thing got me tripping. I am not certain how the Beatles played into it. At least jbill got a kick out of it!

Dimitrov over De Schepper and Paire over Raonic. This is a nice pairing. Tried to watch the Dimitrov/De Schepper match but opted for some stupid semi scifi program called...I forget the name. It was "Defiance"...that was the name of the program. A bit moronic and slightly more entertaining than the tennis last night. The tennis was pretty boring...but one can certainly admire the athleticism and the skills. It is just too fast...especially on the fast indoor courts.

Ferrer vs. Gulbis with the swimming forehand in the top half. I will take Dimitrov and Gulbis. Dimitrov because of his "Baby Fed" moniker and not because of his romantic liaison with Serena. I am pulling for Gulbis...just because Ferrer is as entertaining as watching paint dry. Dimitrov and Gulbis makes a nice final don't you think so?

It will probably be Ferrer vs. Paire though...as a prognosticator I leave everything to be desired.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 10-19-2013, 04:32 AM.
                          don_budge

Comment

Dimitrov vs. Ferrer...another snoozer?

I started out watching David Ferrer vs. Ernesto Gulbis and fell into a sound sleep at 1-1 in the first set. The "EverReady Energizor Bunny" always has that effect on me. He is really a tough competitor...I know. But dreadfully boring. ZZZzzzzzzz.....I woke up at 3-1 to Ferrer in the second. He had lost the first I came to find out. He won the second routinely...save for a Ernesto meltdown that I didn't see. The wife saw it and she said he was repeatedly smashing his racquet to smithereens. I watched bits and pieces of the third but all that Ernesto seemed to be doing is gesturing and talking to the umpire...he virtually tanked the third. It didn't seem that he wanted to fight it out with David...who does? The guy just refuses to give up.

Gregor Dimitrov and Benoit Paire was a pretty entertaining match. Probably the best of the tournament. "Baby Fed" in the third.

Time to wrap it up after tomorrow...sad to say. I don't think that Dimitrov has the cajones to hang to the end with Ferrer...but we shall see. I really have enjoyed this thread.
                            don_budge

Comment

All's well that ends well...

Believe me...it ended well today at the ATP Stockholm Open. Grigor Dimitrov takes down the "EveryReady Energizer Bunny" David Ferrer.

Sure enough the match promised to be a snoozer. At 1-1 I started to get drowsy and the last thing that I remembered was glancing at Frankie...the American Chocolate Lab on the couch and he was already sawing Z's and I was not far behind him. But I woke up just after Ferrer won the first set 6-2. Grigor showed a lot of pluck and grinded out the last two sets...6-3, 6-4.

Dimitrov broke Ferrer and 3-3...the infamous 7th game and managed to hold on to his metal and serve out the match.

Serving out the match in tight situations can be an adventure. If the motion is not perfect and the nerves are a little jumpy it can get dicey. Grigor managed to stay composed in the final here in Sweden and routinely served it out. "Baby Fed" took a baby step towards earning his own recognition without the Federer comparison's. It's difficult not to though as everything the guy does looks like it was modeled after Roger himself. Imitations are rarely as solid as the original.

That being said...I see just a little wiggle in the transition between backswing and forward swing in Dimitrov's service motion. He has had some trouble serving out some matches against the big names this year. He had both Djokovic and Murray on the ropes this summer and failed to serve it out. This time he took a page in his inspirations book and got the job done. One thing that Federer was really good at during the height of his career was serving out matches. Once he got that break he just started to bear down on his opponent and his serve just got better and better the nearer he got to the goal line. This is the mark of a great server by the way. Pressure just makes the thing get better and better.

David Ferrer for his part played his usual no nonsense retrieve and counterpunch style. He can hurt you too...he's got plenty of game. He battled right to the end and you just never felt like Dimitrov had the trophy in his clutches until he sealed the deal. For Ferrer's part he can be the poster boy for tenacity...never letting up or letting go. This is an attribute that a great tennis player must have in their possession.
                              don_budge

Comment

Well, that's the end of this glorious week in Stockholm. Grigor Dimitrov beats David Ferrer in the finals. In 3 sets. Good win for Dimitrov to make it his first of what will hopefully be many more titles.
                                Jonas Bjorkman came up short in the finals of doubles but impressive performance nontheless.

Also, Tommy Haas won the title this week in Vienna. Richard Gasquet won the title in Moscow.

For those keeping track at home, all 3 tournament winners have one-handed backhands. That is the first time since March of 2008 (Almagro, Darcis, Stakhovsky)

Also, All three winners won their match 6-4 in the 3rd set. Been a great week for all three players and a great week for this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed. Great stuff from all.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7720 users online. 9 members and 7711 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X