Grigor Dimitrov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grigor Dimitrov

I've been hearing about Grigor Dimitrov for years. I try to give all players the benefit of the doubt and wish them well on their merry way of competing on the tour. Once they win their 1st ATP Title I start to give them more consideration.

Since Grigor Dimitrov won my beloved Stockholm Open last week and I saw his match against Ferrer, I figured I'd throw it out there. He's got the strokes no doubt. Here's some video from Miami earlier this year. Video has him hitting in normal speed and slowed down as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhjzBoPoTJg

Kinda reminds you of someone doesn't it?

Is he the future? Grand Slams? #1 in the world? Or just lots of hype that may have cashed in on a good week?

As far as I'm concerned, every week is a good week since he's dating Sharapova, but that's another story. (Disappointed she didn't call me.)

And for those that want to give me a hard time about Dimitrov winning a title and my great white hope Berdych having zero for the year, please save your typing. I'm well aware. And that Karlovic match today in Basel, don't get me started.

Let's discuss Grigor Dimitrov. What do you see? What does he need to improve? What needs to happen for him to break into that top 10? Top 5?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Karlovic has won more than any other player in history, 91% of his service games. Then Isner. 90% Then Roddick. Then Sampras. 88.7% Two serve/volley guys, and two baseliners. 461 tiebreakers, but give him an average serve, and he does not make the top 1,000 atp. Too slow, too weak a back hand, and too many errors. Says something about having a big weapon.

Dimitrov's back hand is the choice. Does not coil it or invert it like Fed inverts his fh, or Gasquet inverts his bh. Give him Gasquet's bh, and he has a chance. Serve is too finicky.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 10-22-2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Thoughts about Grigor Dimitrov...food for thought.

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Is he the future? Grand Slams? #1 in the world? Or just lots of hype that may have cashed in on a good week?

As far as I'm concerned, every week is a good week since he's dating Sharapova, but that's another story. (Disappointed she didn't call me.)

Let's discuss Grigor Dimitrov. What do you see? What does he need to improve? What needs to happen for him to break into that top 10? Top 5?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Fantastic idea for a thread my man...let's have a go at this one!

Here is the interactive forum view of his forehand...but what I really want to see is his forehand, backhand and serve altogether in one place. What a world that would be. A thread like this would be a coach's dream to discuss, critique and analyze. Ok...we make due. But if...oh never mind.

Grigor Dimitrov won both of the junior titles in 2008 at Wimbledon and the U. S. Open so he has the junior credentials to back up the possibility of being a future champion. He has that much of a pedigree. The question is multi faceted now and it is about time that he captured an ATP tournament and it is a great sign for him. Now the question that lies before him is can he figure it out as Pete Sampras says he did.

I believe that the answer to that question is yes and no. Yes...he can compete for Slams. Yes...he is certainly viable as a top 10 or even a top 5 player. No...I doubt that he is the future or a viable candidate for the number one player in the world. Currently he is ranked at number 22...what does it take to take the next steps? Capturing the Stockholm Open was definitely a step in the right direction but you cannot compare a rather small tournament like this to the Slams...and three out of five for the duration of two weeks. His victory over David Ferrer was a huge one though...seeing as it took place in the finals and seeing as he had to "dog" it out and fight the pit bull for the trophy. He fought hard and that is another great sign. Ernesto Gulbis chose the other road in the match before against Ferrer...the easier road and capitulated and was reduced to sneering and whining at the umpire for the last set as he dogged it home...with his tail between his legs.

Grigor Dimitrov is currently training with the Niklas Kulti training facility in Stockholm and they call themselves "From Good to Great". I am not so sure about that as I am all too familiar with the Swedish tennis system and Swedish culture to believe otherwise. Nothing about either of those two entities embrace the concept of greatness as it applies to tennis. The tennis system is one thing...it is not even mediocre and it is completely lost and confused. The culture is a separate question and too lengthy to get into. I have enormous respect for the culture by the way...but it is a little different and doesn't lend itself to greatness in it's present engineered mode. But in the sense that the culture is sustainable...it is really great. Perhaps the greatest on the planet in the end. Scandinavia.

GeoffWilliams addresses a couple of issues that I believe are issues that Dimitrov and his handlers must come to grips with but so far I have not really witnessed any substantial changes to his makeup or his tennis game. The biggest point is regarding the serve. Dimitrov has demonstrated some problems serving out matches against the big names when he has them on the ropes. He has at times run into incredibly bad double faulting when he is on the brink of beating a Djokovic or a Murray. Snatching defeats from the jaws of potential victories. This reveals a number of potential problems...character flaws, technique issues or just lack of intestinal fortitude.

Character wise he appears to be a bit suspect because of the female companionship he is keeping. Is he attempting to be a Bulgarian playboy or is he trying to ascend the ladder of men's tennis? He must make up his mind and do it now. He is 22 years old and it is the moment of truth that he makes this important decision in his life. Romantic liaisons with both Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova can only serve as a distraction in the end from the other goal of being a top ten tennis player. Both of these ladies are nothing but trouble in this regard. He needs a "homey" in his corner...like Federer has. One that will not fill his life with potential psycho drama as both of these witches are guaranteed to do. Trust me...I know a psycho bitch when I see one.

The intestinal fortitude thing is something that you are sort of born with or not. It seems to be largely a factor of fate...not that it is impossible to develop. It is only that are there any Bulgarian role models that Grigor may have had or is there something in his culture that will compel his psychological makeup to propel him to the top of the pack. At first glance he may be lacking in this field as well but his victory over Ferrer gives him a glimmer of hope in this regard. But I don't see the street fighter attitude that he will need in the best of five format over a two week tournament. I see a pretty boy who will perhaps be satisfied to make it to the quarterfinal or maybe a semifinal or two...content to hole up in his swank hotel room with his bimbo of the month. I could be wrong...it's only human nature that I am banking on.

But the one thing that could potentially propel him out of the labyrinth of the whole equation is the service motion. This is something that GeoffWilliams is pointing out. If he has the combination of bombs and spin and placement that guarantees him to hold serve in that 90% echelon...well that is a different animal indeed. He has that kind of potential in my estimation but there is just one thing...one little wrinkle. His apparent imitation of Federer has left him with something that I pointed out to jryle1 in his current thread.

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      With regard to your tennis strokes they look vaguely familiar. Are you modeling yourself off of Roger Federer? If so...you and Grigor Dimitrov and thousands of others. But beware the danger and the trap that lies therein...you are not Roger Federer.
      http://vimeo.com/77235024

The one thing that I would "criticize" is the momentary lull at the point in the "Federer" imitation where he actually starts his backswing. This is the one idiosyncrasy that I don't care for in the Federer motion. I would recommend that you begin your backswing with your racquet level and pointing at your target. From here a nice down together and up together will serve you nicely. Your hands and arms are moving beautifully and in synch together in the pre-shot routine and I would like to see you maintain that synchronistic motion and rhythm throughout the swing from stop to finish. Can you see how you are interrupting the flow with that hesitation? Believe or not...it seems to encourage you to throw the ball just a bit too far behind you...or should I say it prevents you from throwing the ball far enough into the court. Why? Because it delays the transition from front to back and from back to front again with the little pause. Federer of course has it all worked out in his magic formula's...but I think you can do a little better in your rendition.

That little deviation ala Roger Federer is going to sort of impede on a fluid and silky motion in the end. It already does to my eye. There is just a bit of hitch between your backswing and forward swing. Not much...but a little funny business just the same. Much the same as Grigor "Baby Fed" Dimitrov has in his motion...in his Federer imitation.

This is the trap of imitation...the little idiosyncrasies of the original morph into little hitches in the copies. The hitch may just become a flaw which is counterproductive to the individual. If it creates friction in the machine it is a flaw.

Keep in mind that tennis is an art...a means of self expression and not merely copying somebody else's interpretation. Dare to go it alone...which of course you already have.

I think that Grigor Dimitrov has a hitch in his backswing that will prevent him from being the kind of server that a player of his makeup needs to be. It's in the backswing...this prevents him from fulfilling the potential of his service going forwards.

If he develops the kind of serve that I believe that he potentially has it will lift the rest of his game as well. To serve like a Gonzales...instead of attempting the Federer imitation might be in his best interests in the long run. Perfect service motion and the complimenting tactics...that's the ticket.
      Last edited by don_budge; 10-23-2013, 03:44 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Great post don_budge.

I agree on many points. yes, Stockholm is only a 250 event and not close to a slam, but you gotta start somewhere right? Federer's first title came at the Milan Indoors against Julien Boutter.

The technical issues i agreee on on. The groundstrokes are fine, as long as they are his and not Federer's. The serve is not nearly as fluid and that irks me a bit.

His personal life is just that. Personal. Although he may need to focus on his tennis and not on the ladies, I can't really judge him on that because I am not a fly on his wall. Unaware of his situation and his relationship. Hope he finds love off the court and success on it.

Nicklas Kulti, now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Personally, I was more of an Enqvist and magnus Larsson fan, but that's another topic.

I think Dimitrov has the tools, but as has been pointed out already and as many of us already know...It's all between the ears.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Character wise he appears to be a bit suspect because of the female companionship he is keeping. Is he attempting to be a Bulgarian playboy or is he trying to ascend the ladder of men's tennis? He must make up his mind and do it now. He is 22 years old and it is the moment of truth that he makes this important decision in his life. Romantic liaisons with both Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova can only serve as a distraction in the end from the other goal of being a top ten tennis player. Both of these ladies are nothing but trouble in this regard. He needs a "homey" in his corner...like Federer has. One that will not fill his life with potential psycho drama as both of these witches are guaranteed to do. Trust me...I know a psycho bitch when I see one.

The intestinal fortitude thing is something that you are sort of born with or not. It seems to be largely a factor of fate...not that it is impossible to develop. It is only that are there any Bulgarian role models that Grigor may have had or is there something in his culture that will compel his psychological makeup to propel him to the top of the pack. At first glance he may be lacking in this field as well but his victory over Ferrer gives him a glimmer of hope in this regard. But I don't see the street fighter attitude that he will need in the best of five format over a two week tournament. I see a pretty boy who will perhaps be satisfied to make it to the quarterfinal or maybe a semifinal or two...content to hole up in his swank hotel room with his bimbo of the month. I could be wrong...it's only human nature that I am banking on.
          I think pretty boy may be something of a prima donna as well, which is not necessarily fatal...but it doesn't help. I agree Sharapova is most likely a cow. It's just a question whether Dimitrov is a player (player as in a user of women) or a poodle. If he's a poodle, we're in deep trouble in respect to him becoming a world number one. There is nothing worse for a poodle than a woman who plays mind games.

From the outside, Djokovic's relationship looks the best. Jelena is pretty. She's also fiercely supportive and loyal. It's great to have a girl like that in your corner. I get the "homey" thing but who wants that...give me the "sexy" thing any day. Djokovic has done really well here. His coaching team are a rock solid outfit, and his relationship with Jelena is rock solid too. Beat that!

National temperament is sometimes a factor. I know nothing of the Bulgarian temperament. The Serbian one has shown itself to be unusual in the case of Djokovic. The British temperament is hopeless for tennis. The American temperament has reached an impasse and needs to concede defending can be an astute option.

Can fortitude and mental strength be learned? I'm sure it can, but you're in a superior position if you're born with it and have it spades. McEnroe, Gonzales, Borg, Nadal, Connors...now they all had balls. You need balls to be great. Does Dimitrov have balls? Time only will tell us that.
          Last edited by stotty; 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

If he's beded Sharascreecha, and Ms. Twerkin, he does not care about a small ass. I'd stay away from those rears and those cans. Not too bright in the general genital dept.

Ha, ha! The jokes on Dimitrov.

Comment

Potential=Room for improvement. Playboys? It's hard to be a Saint in the City.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

It's Hard to be a Saint in the City...Bruce Springsteen

I had skin like leather and the diamond-hard look of a cobra
              I was born blue and weathered but I burst just like a supernova
              I could walk like Brando right into the sun
              Then dance just like a Casanova
              With my blackjack and jacket and hair slicked sweet
              Silver star studs on my duds like a Harley in heat
              When I strut down the street I could hear its heartbeat
              The sisters fell back and said "Don't that man look pretty"
              The cripple on the corner cried out "Nickels for your pity"
              Them gasoline boys downtown sure talk gritty
              It's so hard to be a saint in the city

I was the king of the alley, mama, I could talk some trash
              I was the prince of the paupers crowned downtown at the beggar's bash
              I was the pimp's main prophet I kept everything cool
              Just a backstreet gambler with the luck to lose
              And when the heat came down it was left on the ground
              The devil appeared like Jesus through the steam in the street
              Showin' me a hand I knew even the cops couldn't beat
              I felt his hot breath on my neck as I dove into the heat
              It's so hard to be a saint when you're just a boy out on the street

And the sages of the subway sit just like the living dead
              As the tracks clack out the rhythm their eyes fixed straight ahead
              They ride the line of balance and hold on by just a thread
              But it's too hot in these tunnels you can get hit up by the heat
              You get up to get out at your next stop but they push you back down in your seat
              Your heart starts beatin' faster as you struggle to your feet
              Then you're outa that hole and back up on the street

And them South Side sisters sure look pretty
              The cripple on the corner cries out "Nickels for your pity"
              And them downtown boys sure talk gritty
              It's so hard to be a saint in the city

Who in the modern game of tennis has the most potential? Grigor Dimitrov? Jerzy Janowicz? Anyone else?

Well, well Monsieur LaCroix...what a timely thread. I watched him very closely at the Swedish Open and he is one of the few players that can hold my interest these days. The uncanny resemblance to Federer in his technique makes him even more interesting as in the debate between imitation versus creation. Fascinating stuff actually.

This business about the women is also interesting and not purely from a stupid voyeuristic point of view as in titillation via the gossip and the stupid modern new media these days. My thoughts on his love life are purely from a coach's point of view as to just what type of lifestyle is more conducive to playing championship tennis. I couldn't care less personally who his cupcake of the month is. But to play championship tennis one needs to have a stable "homey" in their corner. No guessing and no mind games. She's got to be there when you need her. Sharapova and Williams would be high maintenance in my estimation. All that being said after rereading what I wrote I am very satisfied with my pointing out the one noticeable flaw in the backswing of his service motion that I did.

If I was his coach I would immediately set to work on that motion and psychologically try to impress upon Grigor that he could potentially be one of the best servers that the game has ever known...what the hell why not convince him that he could be the best of all time. That would be the level of the bar that I would set for his serve...if he could hold serve in that 90% range the effects of such a statistic on his match play may just be enough to push him over the hump and separate himself from the herd. It is indeed a fascinating hypothetical question. Where am I when these guys need me? Answer: Right here where I have always been...waiting for their call.

With his frame and his talent there is no reason that he should not set his sights on goals like being the best server ever in the game. What if he falls short and still is within the top ten? Where will that leave him in the food chain of the present players today...quite possibly right near the top. I like his ground game very much too and it seems to me that if he had such a powerful service game that all of the other aspects of his game would improve. The forehand is very adequate...particularly with the proposed beefed up serve. The backhand is a beautiful stroke that lacks only in a bit of power but what it lacks in power he just may recover in guile as he plays the slice very cleverly with variation of offense and defense. He is dangerously close to being somewhat of a holdover from the classical era of tennis. He actually volleys and transitions to the net better than most of the herd at this point and there is some potential to develop here as well. Again...with an improved and ambitious service project all things are "on the table" at this point in his career. I wonder if this runs contrary to Sven's theory about working on strength...perhaps it does. Which is good for me...because Sven is so very good...so very good at what he does.

So today at 8 PM here in Europe "The Copy" takes on "The Original". It is Grigor Dimitrov vs. Roger Federer prime time on the Swiss Maestro's home court. What better place to stage a match against the up and comer vs. his role model...who seemingly is in decline. This is a fascinating match and one that is just too good to speculate about the outcome. But I will say this...Dimitrov took a big step last week when he defeated the current world number three in the finals of the Stockholm Open. Yesterday he was very impressive in dispatching the always dangerous Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-3, 6-2. This is a match worth watching...even though Roger is really struggling.

Without getting ahead of ourselves here...but the klacr high hopes were once again dashed with another disappointing Tomas Berdych loss which plays into the hand of our dashing new Bulgarian Prince or Playboy Grigor. I am actually rooting for a Grigor victory tonight so that he can test his mettle once more in tournament conditions. The more that he gets used to winning in these small venues the more confidence he get in the bigger ones. Absolutely correct...you gotta start someplace. Why not here and now Grigor?

Cool thread. Playboys...women. Serves and groundstrokes. Volleys and approach shots. Hardly a mention of the forehand.

"I had skin like leather and the diamond-hard look of a cobra
              I was born blue and weathered but I burst just like a supernova
              I could walk like Brando right into the sun
              Then dance just like a Casanova"

Last edited by don_budge; 10-25-2013, 03:05 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge

Comment

I have been high on Dimitrov for a while but my son like Janowicz better. He just love his "how many times" video http://youtu.be/7hfTDuISM4U. There is a lot desire and passion even though it does not always come out in the best way.

I think Dimitrov has more potential than Janowicz. He is in a good range for height and he is a bit taller than Federer so is not as vulnerable to the high backhand. He is also a bit stronger than Fed. But my sense from watching him is that he is not as aggressive as Federer. I am not sure he has that killer mentality that all great champions have. I know Fed is calm and so was Borg and Edberg. I am not talking about the outward appearance. But the inner fire. Fed has it in spades even though he hides it well outside the court. But in a match he really wants it and in his prime would simply choke an opponent on a good day. Even Nadal suffered that a couple of times. I am not sure that Dimitrov can reach that level. But he has all the elements.

Maybe his choice of girlfriend is more of a reflection of his inner character.

I talked to Peter Lundgren in April at the Men's clay court. He said Dimitrov could be a good player but he didn't see him being like Fed. He said "he is a really nice guy."

Is he enough of an alpha male?

Arturo

Comment

Without getting ahead of ourselves here...but the klacr high hopes were once again dashed with another disappointing Tomas Berdych loss which plays into the hand of our dashing new Bulgarian Prince or Playboy Grigor.
                  Berdych still qualified for London. No harm no foul. I'll continue to cheer for him. He's due for something big. He'll get it eventually. or not. I'll be loyal and stubborn about him and his hopes for multiple grand slams...like a lemming jumping off a cliff or like a dog going back to his own vomit. I'll continue to watch, cheer, support and be disappointed. That's sport.

Back to Dimitrov, women or no women, he's good and knows how to hit a ball. But it's all about the results at this level. Not sure how much that serve is going to change in its motion at this point, although it could (Djokovic and Nadal come to mind). I'm not a fan of that hitch either in the motion. I do like his game and he does not seem allergic to the net which I love to see in any player at any level. One thing I have noticed is he seems to play a bit further back in the court than Federer. Deeper behind the baseline. This may be something to keep an eye on today in his match vs. Federer.

We shall see.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

It's gonna be very interesting watching Dimitrov play Federer today and am really excited seeing a Fed imitator in terms of technique like myself (You can't deny this, it's almost a carbon copy visually), play the great man himself. It's interesting, despite Dimitrov's forehand being very similar to Roger's I still don't think it has that same acceleration, that same pop, or perhaps heaviness that Roger's has. I don't know. Just an impression. And he serves well but it's not as graceful as Roger's.

Will be an interesting match to watch.

Comment

Maiden Voyage...

It is the first time that these two have met in competition. It's early in the match...2-2 in the first set but to me it looks as if Roger may have his hands full. Pretty cool match so far.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 10-25-2013, 10:40 AM.
                      don_budge

Comment

The Match between The Original and The Copy

Swiss Maestro vs. Bulgarian Playboy...it was a beautiful thing.

What was it...6-3, 7-6? The difference in the match wasn't a whole lot...but Dimitrov misfired on his serve when it counted the most. In the first set he had Federer 0-40 on his serve and failed to capitalize. Then he stumbled a bit and lost his serve...only to watch Federer serve it out. Federer had some service miscues of his own as his rhythm seemed to desert him from time to time. This has been a big part of Roger's problems lately has been the reliability of his serve.

Grigor Dimitrov had the Swiss Maestro on the ropes and served for the second set but he stumbled just enough to let Federer even the score to send the set into a tie-break. Again...the serve was just a bit shaky and Federer closed out the match rather routinely.

It was a fun match to watch. I had the same decision to make that I had last week...watch a very mediocre sci-fiction called "Defiance" or watch tennis. Torn just a bit between the two I opted for the match and I am glad that I did. It's true about the serve of Dimitrov and his game. He made errors when his confidence ebbed. His confidence ebbed because he struggled with his serve.

When the chips are down...that is when the serve should be kicking in to save the day for a good tennis player. When the chips were down last night Dimitrov stumbled and he who hesitates is lost. It all happens in the blink of an eye...suddenly you go from up a break to trying to salvage a tie-break against the best player in the modern history of the game. A great server will just start pouring it on when given the cue taking the wind out of any opponents sail.

At 6' 2" tall Dimitrov has the build to be the serving standard in mens tennis. There really isn't much competition at this point. But that little kink that developed from attempting to imitate the idiosychratic start up in the Federer delivery has turned into friction within the machine...hence the inefficiencies. He only needs a service engineer to reconstruct and retool his delivery. Perhaps reeducated in service tactics as well.
                        don_budge

Comment

It will be interesting to see how Dimitrov handles his off-season and what his results will be in 2014. Only time will tell.

What will be his potential? Top 10? Top 5?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Two things for the off season...

It will be interesting to see how Dimitrov handles his off-season and what his results will be in 2014. Only time will tell.

What will be his potential? Top 10? Top 5?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            The sky's the limit. It's only about effort and sacrifice at this point. Does he have that kind of wherewithall or is his destiny one of a playboy? Workhorse or gallivant?

Where is the blueprint?

Two things for the off season...if I am his coach.

1. Retool and reengineer that service motion. Some relatively minor changes in the backswing can pay huge dividends. Totally reschool service tactics after the engineering is done.

2. Beef it up a bit. Tall and slender is good...tall and moderately muscular is even better. Better in the sense for applying the hammer on the serve and also stepping in a bit closer to the baseline. The ability to drive the backhand a bit better as well. A little extra mustard won't hurt anything on the forehand either.

3. Approach game 101.

4. The goal for 2014...London! No rest for the wicked!

That isn't a whole lot to demand of a professional athlete. The question is do his handlers have the vision. Do they have the blueprint? Do they know how to connect the three dots to the goal? What is the goal? More Babes? Higher ranking?

Well...it's a no brainer. Higher rankings means more money which in turns brings on more babes. Get to work...Grigor. He's top five if he understands the problem...the equation. The variables are solvable with the right guidance. Is there a job out there for me? Advisor to the pros?

You know where to find me. klacr? John? Sven? tennis_students?
                            Last edited by don_budge; 10-28-2013, 08:52 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                            don_budge

Comment

"Galavant." A great word. I looked it up.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7836 users online. 3 members and 7833 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X