Serve ball contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serve ball contact

Something I haven't see discussed is where on the ball the racquet makes contact. I recently got some advice that I hit behind the ball too much, and that I should hit more on top of the ball.

This has helped my serve tremendously. Obviously it increases the chance of my serve hitting the net though.

I suppose the ball contact position is implied by the position of the arm and ball when they make contact (in front at 2:00), but then again that doesn't include ball height at contact which would also have to be known to zero in on where on the ball the string makes contact.

Thoughts?

Thoughts, serves and videotape.

Originally posted by tsonga View Post
    Thoughts?
    Funny that you asked...for thoughts.

Seeing as the racquet must come from beneath the ball initially let's just say that you are going to hit up and over the ball...generally speaking. Where you actually contact the ball is dependent upon what you want to do with the ball...which type of spin, flat or whatever. Slice, top, kick plus placement.

One thing that I like to teach when trying to visualize how to treat the ball when serving is that I like my tennis student to see a big beach ball and make that sort of an arc around the ball to accomplish their objectives. My coach used to tell me to visualize going over a barrel.

That being said...I know that I speak for everyone. Let's see the video. The truth lies in the motion.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7719 users online. 9 members and 7710 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X