John McEnroe...Rites of Passage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McEnroe...Rites of Passage

A brilliant documentary about John McEnroe narrated by none other than Bud Collins.

Love him or hate him...he is an American Icon. Guess what...I love him. But then I don't pass judgement on people. It is not my job to say if one is right or one is wrong. All that I do is pay attention...this guy is rivoting. Everything that comes out of his mouth is the truth as he knows it. He's glib...he's frank. But most of all he let's his game to the talking for him.

John McEnroe, Björn Borg and Jimmy Connors. Throw in a long list of supporting actors. What an era of tennis. The last and final scene of classic tennis. These three players were traversing the razor's edge...the change in equipment changed their worlds. Worlds that they climbed to the top of mountain. They struggled, they fought. They scratched and clawed. Once they got to the summit the rest of the cast was given a free pass to the door that they fought through. Enter the Prince Graphite and the rest of the oversize racquets.

These men loved the game in a different way that the rest did. You see...you love it for what it does to you. How it molds you. These three got to the top. The game of tennis made them who they were. They were champions. Great fighters. Great courage and great pride.

Like some of the women in your life...tennis turned out to be a fickle lover and she changed. She changed on them without warning. They loved her all of their lives and they slept with the wooden racquets that they loved as their trusty swords. To change the game from what it was to what it was destined to become was an obvious crime to those that loved the game with all of their boyhood dreams. Reaching manhood they became disillusioned and it was either capitulate or disappear.

McEnroe made the change...Borg could not. What a story. A story that nobody wants to discuss right down to the core of the matter. You cannot be serious!!!!!

What a wonderful documentary. What a beautiful work of art. Bud Collins. Nothing needs to be said. There are no words. It is what it is.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Jiminy Glick interviews John McEnroe

Absolutely hysterical! Some great lines. McEnroe shows what a comic genius he is. You see...he was putting us on all along. He and Jiminy Glick play off of each other like they were playing tennis together...like the Jack Nicholson tennis scene in "The Witches of Eastwick". Truly amazing stuff.

The Witches of Eastwick (Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfieffer, Cher and Susan Sarandon)

I just love the Michelle tush shot towards the end. Doink!

Last edited by don_budge; 10-23-2013, 12:32 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge

Comment

This is John McEnroe...Johnny, Johnny

"Johnny...Johnny, the flesh is weak. Only the soul is immortal."

The above line from the movie "Angel Heart" spoken by Mephistopholes (Robert DeNiro) to Johnny Angel (Mickey Rourke).

Typical Mac Attack interview...Late, Late Night. Some profound comments...some controversial...some outrageous. Typical Mac Style. No prisoners.

Before that epic 1980 final with Borg...remember the 18-16 tiebreaker in the fourth...on the Saturday the day before...he defeated Jimmy Connors in four tough sets. Connors being one of the greatest fighters pound for pound that the game ever knew. Borg had played his semifinal on Friday. Not only did our Johnny play Connors the day before his epic match with Borg, but he and longtime partner and pal Peter Fleming played and lost to the great Australian team of Paul McNamee and Peter McNamara in the semis. He played 13 sets of doubles during the tournament...he must have been tired. Dog tired! Conceivably...McEnroe would have taken Borg...but in his words...he got tired towards the end of the match. He lost 8-6 in the fifth.

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Just look at the supporting cast of characters back in 1980...does anyone in their right mind believe that the game is as deep as it was back then. You cannot be serious.

As great as his legacy was...I believe that he was underrated. He may have dominated the game for years had it remained a classic game. He, Borg and Connors got ripped off like few in life will ever know. It was a crime...the crime scene largely ignored by the masses.

Johnny is such a character...so much larger than life. He is hard to imagine. Every moment that he shares with us seems so much more real that the rest of the impostors. He makes some comments that are so full of life and truth...it startles us.
      Last edited by don_budge; 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge

Comment

Thanks, don_budge!

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYbvHibG2c

A brilliant documentary about John McEnroe narrated by none other than Bud Collins.

Love him or hate him...he is an American Icon. Guess what...I love him. But then I don't pass judgement on people. It is not my job to say if one is right or one is wrong. All that I do is pay attention...this guy is rivoting. Everything that comes out of his mouth is the truth as he knows it. He's glib...he's frank. But most of all he let's his game to the talking for him.

What a wonderful documentary. What a beautiful work of art. Bud Collins. Nothing needs to be said. There are no words. It is what it is.
        What can I say except thank you for posting this wonderful tennis documentary. Needless to say I had to watch it as soon as I could. I watched 15 minutes worth before going to coach this morning, and the rest while making chile con carne this afternoon. I loved it...the tennis that is...not the con carne...which burnt as I became so engrossed in the documentary.

I loved all the ground level clips, which show the true pace and skill of the game...McEnroe's volleys pinging off his racket. I thought Bud's narration was excellent...."tap dancing through a minefield".

I hadn't realised McEnroe's formative years were spent on clay! Strange, then, the surface turned out to be such huge gap in his CV.

It was great to see the part about the Davis Cup...against the Brits. John Lloyd comes from my club so it was nice for me to see that...and toffee-nosed Buster Mottram with his size 15 feet crashing to the ground chasing a McEnroe lob.

Most interesting also to get such an insight into US college tennis. I didn't know it was so prestigious nor how it all works. The closest we have to that here is County Week where counties are ranked in divisions of six teams and play to win their division. The winning counties get promotion and the bottom counties get relegated. It's good stuff but not as good as your college system.

And all those old names: Sadri, Teltscher, Gottfried, Teacher...terrific...brought back memories for me.
        Last edited by stotty; 10-23-2013, 06:32 AM.
        Stotty

Comment

Jiminy Glick Interviews John McEnroe

Comment

A different side to Mac

I think we see another side to McEnroe at times in the documentary. Most notable is the Davis Cup match against Argentina in his match against Vilas. When Vilas won, the crowd invaded the court and went so wild and that McEnroe never got to shake Vilas's hand. Despite the fact he lost that match Mac later went to the locker room to shake Vilas's hand and acknowledge him. I liked he did that. Shows guts and respect. He did have respect for the very best opponents.

I was impressed Mac took Vilas to five sets that day, on clay that's significant. It shows Mac could play well on the surface. It's just tough to clinch matches against top clay court players like Vilas and cross that final hurdle.
            Stotty

Comment

Thanks Johnny...Escher!

I mucked it up again...you got my back bro! What'd you think...funny stuff?
              don_budge

Comment

Once again it's time to...let's talk jocks.

Comic genius...perhaps Jiminy's best. John McEnroe is the perfect foil for Glick's double entendres and sardonic wit.

JG: Hi...I am sitting here with an absolute living legend...and I know this because he told me to say that. So if he said it, it must be true. The wonderful John McEnroe.

JM: Don’t lie to your fans here and your viewers that I had told you to say that...you are...can I say bad words here?

JG: Say it...go ahead.

JM: You’re bullshit.

JG: Ha ha, wonderful. But you know what...we’ve set the level so just try and keep it down. I know that’s your gimmick and it works...it’s like an old stripper who has beads or something.

JM: You’re not going to get me going.

JG: And you just kept going up to those linesmen when you were playing raquetball or whatever sport you did...and you would go up and say, “you’re full of...you’re an idiot...you’ve got to be kidding... or what was that phrase?”

JM: (In his best reverberating voice) YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!

JG: So that was kind of in the eighties...”you look marvelous”...it was like your catch phrase, wasn’t it?

JM: You’re damn right.

JG: You have these temper tantrums...was this a publicists idea or do you really have mental prob...

JM: It was really for...

JG: ...lems.

JM: hahaha...is there a third option?

JG: No...I think that’s enough boy.

JM: I think I’d go more with the second than the first.

JG: Mental issues?

JM: Mental issues...

JG: Mental issues.

JM: I don’t have a publicist.

JG: You went to Stanford University.

JM: That’s correct.

JG: And you didn’t graduate.

JM: (Nods in the affirmative)

JG: You flunked out!

JM: I didn’t flunk out. They would have kept me anyways even if I had flunked out because I could hit a stupid tennis ball over the net, alright? My kids tell me this...they say you wouldn’t have gotten into Stanford if you didn’t play tennis.

JG: They speak like gangsters...your kids?

JM: Did that sound like a gangster?

JG: You didn’t go to Stanford...until you go...that sounded like we were doing a production of “Guys and Dolls” and Lorna Luft was late for her cue. Now let’s see...we’ve discussed your limited brightness. You won at Wimbledon...what was that like? I never played at Wimbledon...that’s in England.

JM: That’s correct...it’s a tremendous feeling. The tradition there is fantastic. And sometimes even the Queen and King show up.

JG: The King and Queen showed up.

JM: You know that I knew Princess Diana, right?

JG: (Sobbing)

JM: See...you feel the same way I do.

JG: Did the Queen kill Diana...answer me yes or no?

JM: Uhhh...I refuse to answer that on the grounds that I may be incriminated.

JG: I am referring to Queen Latifah...there is a rumor that Queen Latifah killed Diana....

JM: That I hadn’t heard.

JG: She hit her...she hit her with a...with a...

JM: ...hit her with her ass?

JG: Hit her with her ass...that’s what I heard.

JM: (imitating JG’s voice) That’s it you got it.

JG: Hahaha...you’re doing me now. And you said you were limited in your craft.

JM: (clenching fists) I’m doing it!

JG: You can do it...you just shouldn’t do it for lots of people. That’s all...

JM: (raging at camera) Then that’s the perfect show to do it for.

JG: He’s losing it...he’s losing it! This boy is losing it! Oh that’s good...this has been fun. (Big yawn)

JM: Get him an expresso.

JG: Do you know who I love? That Anna K...Kr...Kurna...Kurnakatetawho.

JM: Kournikova?

JG: Kornokovagavea...she’s a...she says she’s a virgin.

JM: If she’s a virgin then I’ve never questioned a call in my life.

JG: Hahahaha...that’s wonderful! Prince...yea...whatever those expressions...that’s wonderful.

JM: I’m going out on a limb there.

JG: But you know she’s with Inglesias...

JM: Enrique.

JG: Enrique...he’s Julio’s son.

JM: Not Julio?

JG: No, no. Julio’s about 77 years of age. Enrique’s current...he’s dating this girl Anna Korn...Kornocav...kornea.

JM: I predict them to last another two months.

JG: How come John McEnroe?

JM: Musicians and athletes...

JG: Oh...it never does last does it?

JM: Oh that’s right...I’m married to a musician.

JG: And this is your book which is a wonderful...wonderful...book.

JM: Thank you...that’s what I wanted to mention.

JG: It’s called...it’s called John McEnroe...

JM: ...YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!! (in his best reverberating voice)

JG: Oh that’s wonderful...and look at you looking moody...you’re looking moody.

JM: I’m look pretty alright...right?

JG: You look good...you do.

JM: Compared to you...you fat turd!

JG: Oh no...more of your rage...more of your anger. This has been fun John...I want you to come back again.

JM: And next time you’ll promise right...next time you’ll promise that...will you’ll ask me some nice questions next time...some better questions.

JG: You’re telling me that I didn’t ask you nice questions.

JM: They were out!

JG: They were perfectly on the line!

JM: They were in.

JG: You have got to be kidding me!

JM: Come here and kiss my ass!

JG: I don’t want to kiss your ass unless there’s money involved!

JM: Give me a break!

JG: You give me a break!

JM: You give me a break!

JG: You stop it...and you hear me out...you hear when I say and speak to you. You stink!

JM: I’m outta here...I’m outta here.

JG: Oh you’re outta here...how about you were out of here before you sat down.

JM: Thanks man...

JG: Oh man! Suddenly we’re in a beatnik movie. God...I wish Björn Borg was in town. He is. Let’s get him over here.

don_budge

Comment

Evolving Mac...

I find it interesting how Mac's game evolved from 1977 to what it became at his zenith...and on to what it is now in his veteran years. His serve in particular morphed a lot over time. The racket face on his sliced backhand was very open in his early years, and he often started the shot from a very low backswing. He is the most fascinating player imaginable to watch and study...much more interesting than Federer even. Mac's just so unusual...out on his own.
                  Last edited by stotty; 11-02-2013, 02:50 PM.
                  Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8262 users online. 4 members and 8258 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X