X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A forehand review article by Elliot

Couple of comments
    1.The article/link is NOT read protected
    However I would prefer to provide a LINK instead of full text.
    If from some reasons one cannot "open" the link please let me know.
    2.I think that the opinion about teaching of forehand for Under10Tennis programs
    is interesting (see the introduction part of the article)
    Last edited by julian1; 10-26-2013, 11:34 AM.

There's nothing like a longitudinal examination.

Comment

A working link

Comment

Please elaborate

Originally posted by bottle View Post
        There's nothing like a longitudinal examination.
        What is "a longitudinal examination"?

Comment

I'm just like you. No one will explain anything to me. Here is the last sentence of the abstract of the link you gave: "However, it is also clear that there remains considerable scope for future research to longitudinally examine (bolding, underlining and italicizing are mine) the inter-relationships between different teaching methodologies, equipment scaling and forehand mechanics." So what is a longitudinal study? A Pierre Woodman video on the internet.

Comment

Mushroom paradox

I'm just like you. No one will explain anything to me. Here is the last sentence of the abstract of the link you gave: "However, it is also clear that there remains considerable scope for future research to longitudinally examine (bolding, underlining and italicizing are mine) the inter-relationships between different teaching methodologies, equipment scaling and forehand mechanics." So what is a longitudinal study? A Pierre Woodman video on the internet.
            You are describing a Mushroom Paradox.
            It is a phenomenon occuring in MA.
            It is observed in darkness in the the case of special diet

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

"Longitudinal study"... hmm... like in laying the objects under study lengthwise side by side and examining them for differences?

Comment

Btw

Originally posted by tennisplayer View Post
                  "Longitudinal study"... hmm... like in laying the objects under study lengthwise side by side and examining them for differences?
                  BTW-the article is fine
                  One author is from IF,the second from Tennis Australia.
                  Elliot has an article on tennisplayer

Comment

The article may be okay or more than okay or even useful but suffers from high-fallutin' language like "longitudinal study" at least from the viewpoint of someone who uses tennis to make himself less academic in his journey. Think of The Tea Party. Totally "academic" in the sense of having abstract or no connection to real life.

Comment

Trunk and Upper Limb Muscle Activation During Flat and Topspin Forehand Drives

J Appl Biomech. 2011 Feb;27(1):15-21.
                      Trunk and upper limb muscle activation during flat and topspin forehand drives in young tennis players.
                      Rogowski I, Rouffet D, Lambalot F, Brosseau O, Hautier C.
                      Source

Université de Lyon, Lyon, France.
                      Abstract

This study compared EMG activity of young tennis players' muscles during forehand drives in two groups, GD-those able to raise by more than 150% the vertical velocity of racket-face at impact from flat to topspin forehand drives, and GND, those not able to increase their vertical velocity to the same extent. Upper limb joint angles, racket-face velocities, and average EMGrms values, were studied. At similar joint angles, a fall in horizontal velocity and a rise in racket-face vertical velocity from flat to topspin forehand drives were observed. Shoulder muscle activity rose from flat to topspin forehand drives in GND, but not for drives in GD. Forearm muscle activity reduced from flat to topspin forehand drives in GD, but muscle activation was similar in GND. The results show that radial deviation increased racket-face vertical velocity more at impact from the flat to topspin forehand drives than shoulder abduction.

Comment

Y-e-c-c-c-h. What is the benefit to the world of making Bottle work this much? EMG-- Electro Magnetic Grunts? GD-- God Damned MFers? GND-- Good NIMBY Deadheads? Not that I want to know what the letters actually stand for. I'm too turned off for that. If I'd wanted to be a code-breaker I would have chosen that career path.
                        Last edited by bottle; 11-06-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Ugh. Give me something I can use.

Comment

Muscle groups

Originally posted by bman View Post
                            Ugh. Give me something I can use.
                            The main body of the article quoted indicates muscle groups
                            important for forehand.

Comment

Not so fast, Mr. Feather

Y-e-c-c-c-h. What is the benefit to the world of making Bottle work this much? EMG-- Electro Magnetic Grunts? GD-- God Damned MFers? GND-- Good NIMBY Deadheads? Not that I want to know what the letters actually stand for. I'm too turned off for that. If I'd wanted to be a code-breaker I would have chosen that career path.
                              Bottle, get past the alphabet soup. There might be something interesting here. Certainly for someone who can get so excited about "feathering". Who knows what GD and GND stand for but just say good topspinners and not good topspinners. What they are saying the "not good topspinners" try to use their shoulder muscles a lot more for their topspin forehands, but are unsuccessful. The "good topspinners" use less shoulder, but get more topspin. And the players getting more topspin are using more radial deviation (could there be a link there to feathering?).

But what I want to know is who is this guy Brosseau O. I've never met a Brosseau outside my immediate family and certainly not in the world of tennis. Surprised me when I saw that.

don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8575 users online. 3 members and 8572 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X