Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One handed backhand...plus McEnroe equals Jerzy McJanowicz

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
    I'm sure I'm right about this. But so what...

don
    So what? It's everything tennis_chiro. But what about this...

1. Develop the one hand backhand borrowing a page out of Bill Tilden's backhand epiphany and metamorphosis back in the 1920's. Sequestered somewhere in Europe, Jerzy unveils his new one handed backhand at the 2014 Australian Open. He can crank it like his forehand or slice and dice with it.

2. Johnny McEnroe pushing the buttons and pushing the big lug to get to the net behind a newly designed and engineered approach game. Not to mention service tactics and finally serve and volley technique...in that order.

A huge undertaking...but a necessary one. The two hander is going to hold him back with the rest of the assignment.

What do you think?
    Last edited by don_budge; 11-02-2013, 02:25 AM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I only saw the last two sets of Federer v Djokovic. Federer seemed to get blown away. No doubt he was better in the first set.

Federer is just missing so many forehands these days. He used to miss so few and dissect opponents with it. At times his backhand looks the better wing.

It's hard to tell from his relaxed demeanor and body language, but I wonder if he's lost his nerve?

Djokovic looked awfully good in that last set.
      Last edited by stotty; 11-02-2013, 01:56 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

The Federer vs. Djokovic match was disappointing if you are a Federer fan. His usually reliable serve let him down.

That Ferrer-Nadal match was a feel good victory for Ferrer. Showed good resolve when he got broken after serving for the match, only to break back and then serve out the match again.

Djokovic-Ferrer Final. Can Ferrer pull off the upset? Most assumed he would lose to Nadal. This defending champ is not going to let go of his title lightly.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

1. Develop the one hand backhand borrowing a page out of Bill Tilden's backhand epiphany and metamorphosis back in the 1920's. Sequestered somewhere in Europe, Jerzy unveils his new one handed backhand at the 2014 Australian Open. He can crank it like his forehand or slice and dice with it.

2. Johnny McEnroe pushing the buttons and pushing the big lug to get to the net behind a newly designed and engineered approach game. Not to mention service tactics and finally serve and volley technique...in that order.

A huge undertaking...but a necessary one. The two hander is going to hold him back with the rest of the assignment.

What do you think?
          I like the idea of number two with the wingspan and height that Jerzy has.

I'd like to show Jerzy how much more time Del Potro has when he plays Nadal...despite not having Jerzy's speed and quick footwork. Time on the ball is such an asset.
          Stotty

Comment

His two-hander is a weapon; needs the slice!

What do you think?
            1. Jerzy's not going to learn a one-handed backhand to replace what he has in a very effective two-handed shot. He counter punches and attacks effectively with the shot he has already. And his grips are conservative enough that he is able to be effective with both forehand and backhand volleys. What he does need, and it will probably take at least two years to fully develop it, is a better slice approach shot to use on the move getting to the net and forcing his opponent to hit up. When he has time to set up for a short backhand, he hits the two-hander and transitions well behind it. It's the shot he should hit on the move that he would need the slice for. He already uses it somewhat defensively, but it could be so much more.

2. Not in favor of Johnny Mac as a coach. I doubt he really knows what he did as a player. He operated instinctively and did a better job of closing while the ball was coming to him than anyone else in the 50 years I've been watching tennis. He wasn't the quickest or the fastest, but he used more of the time he had while the ball was coming to him than anyone else. Jerzy has advantages that Mac didn't have: reach and power. He closes now better than most of the few that still ever venture forward and he does have to get better at it. Mostly, he just has to decide to do it a lot more. But I think Mac's disfunctionality poisoned and diminished his own career and greatly shortened the legacy he left; much more so than the change in equipment. Lendl changed the game with his groundstroke power in the mid-80s, but he did it with conventional sized rackets. And Mac still absolutely dominated the game in 1984. Then his head got in the way. I think he already showed with the Davis Cup team that coaching was not a good avenue for him. Leave Mac in the booth. A lot of people like him there. He has great insights there. I can't stand listening to him though. Everything is too much about himself. I'll take Robbie Koenig or Luke Jensen every day of the week. But that's a whole separate issue. As a consultant, Mac could offer some interesting perspective, but I would not want him near Jerzy. Jerzy has plenty of fire already. He needs someone who can show him how to channel it properly. Maybe even a Roche. Or a Tony Pickard. Or maybe a Wilander.

Still think Pilic who had a lot to do with developing Djokovic (or at least his academy did) would be a good one. Supposedly hasn't ever lost a game of minitennis to this day. And yet to me, he is still the image of a quintissential serve and volleyer. And has been a very successful Davis Cup coach. And he comes from that Eastern European culture. Story I read about him in the last year gave me the impression he really loves tennis. I bet he'd like to do something that had a real impact. Might even actually like to have the paycheck. But perhaps he's a little too old at 74. Still would like him as a consultant for Tilikainen. Someone who might actually care.

don

Comment

Roger's match against Djokovic today was, once again, tough to watch (for Federer fans anyhow). Today's match hinged not on shot selection, tactics, movement -- but rather on nerve. And Fed just doesn't have the nerve these days when it matters most. In a way, he hasn't had that nerve for years now.

Without that nerve he may score an occasional win against a Del Potro -- but he certainly won't compete consistently with the upper echelon of the game anytime soon.

Comment

Let's face it. It was you, Charley.

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                I'm not saying he tanked by any means, but this thought just might have been in the back of his head today.
                don
                Let's face it. He tanked.

I watched the second half of the second set. I was amazed at the score when I tuned in. The whole time I had the distinct feeling that Nadal wasn't trying. I couldn't believe my eyes...I'm too smart for that. Disgusting. What a fake performance right out in front of everyone for God to see. I don't buy it. What were the odds? Did someone make a ton of money? Does anybody have any idea how much money is changing hands these days on tennis matches?

Any discerning person could tell the difference between the player that had defeated the EveryReady Energy Battery Squirrel umpteen times and the bum who faked this disgraceful performance. Big time Wrestling if I ever saw it. Nadal...showing his true colors once again. He tanked...the Skunk. I never could stand him. All of those ticks and bullshit. Waiting for his opponent to cross over in front of him. This guy is a nasty piece of work...pure product of the modern game of tennis.

Anybody that believed their eyes in this tomfoolery needs to have their eyes checked. It will never be established that this impostor is on PED's either. The whole thing is rigged. Even the news these days is rigged. What a joke!

Tony: Look, kid, I - how much you weigh, son? When you weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds you were beautiful. You coulda been another Billy Conn, and that skunk we got you for a manager, he brought you along too fast.

Rafa: It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson." You remember that? "This ain't your night"! My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.

Tony: Oh I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.

Rafa: You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley.

Last edited by don_budge; 11-03-2013, 02:10 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge

Comment

Tony: Look, kid, I - how much you weigh, son? When you weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds you were beautiful. You coulda been another Billy Conn, and that skunk we got you for a manager, he brought you along too fast.

Rafa: It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson." You remember that? "This ain't your night"! My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.

Tony: Oh I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.

Rafa: You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley.

No matter how many times I've watched that scene with Brando over the years, it remains as powerful as ever. When Mickey Rourke was asked in an interview here in the UK why he an other actors held Brando in such high esteem despite his having made many poor movies, Rourke said: "The thing is with Brando is that at his best he is the very best...no one to touch him...most actors know that".

Djokovic played well in the final when down in both sets, which is typical of Djokovic . Ferrer couldn't have played much better. From 4-2 down in the second set Djokovic really hit form and was striking the ball as clean as a whistle. He's pretty much unstoppable when he starts rolling like that.

Roll on to the Masters final...Group B looks tough.
                  Last edited by stotty; 11-03-2013, 02:17 PM.
                  Stotty

Comment

A couple of things...ATP Paribus Masters 1000, Paris France

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    I only saw the last two sets of Federer v Djokovic. Federer seemed to get blown away. No doubt he was better in the first set.

Federer is just missing so many forehands these days. He used to miss so few and dissect opponents with it. At times his backhand looks the better wing.

It's hard to tell from his relaxed demeanor and body language, but I wonder if he's lost his nerve?

Djokovic looked awfully good in that last set.
                    Roger Federer gave us a glimpse of what he is still capable of. In more recent memories are visions of him playing soft and not up to the challenge. But here in Paris he laid some of that to rest. At Basel also. That's not to say the he hasn't struggled...the best one could say lately is that he has been inconsistent. But that is up from just plain "lousy"...comparatively speaking.

He showed a bit of the old Roger against the new Roger in Basel. The match with Grigor Dimitrov sort of got his interest and inspired him to perform. A bit of a spotty performance in the semis and then just a little more inspiration against the Jolly Argentine Giant Del Potro in the finals setting the table for Paris...but with his sights on London.

Now in Paris he really showed us what he is still capable of. Two very nice routine straight set wins against solid competition in Anderson and Kohlschreiber then a nice three set avenging win against Del Potro. Classic Federer. Setting up the match with Djokovic. Roger seemed to make his statement by taking a set from Djokovic which seemed to say "I can do this" but then he went just a tad soft and it was home to Switzerland for a couple of days of rest before the stretch run in London.

At the immediate conclusion of that match a couple of things dawned on me...not necessarily revelations as such. But noteworthy observations nonetheless. Number one...he and Djokovic do not like each other. Or at least Roger doesn't like Djokovic. That was a rather cold and quick hand shake at the net. At the very least Roger doesn't like losing to Djokovic. Nothing seemed to have been said...maybe Roger managed a "I'll see next week you so and so...". Or maybe he only thought that. Next time they face off is going to be that more interesting. It's normal not to like each other in their position. Djokovic being the heir apparent...it is his dubious job to slay The King to inherit the throne. The Royal Scepter.

If Federer serves well he demonstrates that he has the necessary lethal weapons to take down the big guys. He cannot afford to get into endurance contests. Plus sans Annacone he seems to have a little more appetite for the net. If only he had successfully changed his racquet he may have gained the necessary extra area in the racquet face to make these tactics more feasible. Maybe he unveils a full on assault of the net in London...a surprise attack. At any rate...he is in position. He has qualified. Recent history tells us to not get our hopes up...but he is after all the last remaining link...to classic tennis.

The second thing? Did he pack it in on Saturday afternoon opting for the extra nights rest in his own bed? At the time of his loss all that he had to look forward to was a showdown with Nadal...which he probably isn't ready for...so did he mentally or worse pack it in after the first set? One never knows these days with these guys...there are question marks with all of the money being thrown around these days. The question is...is the relaxed demeanor simply that. Is he somehow pacing himself? A quasi-tank?

The final itself was a foregone conclusion...with all due respect to David Ferrer who himself must be spending many hours in the gym pounding iron from the looks of his physique. He's chiseled. Not to mention making it to all of these finals in tournaments, showing up week after week grinding it out. What a remarkable specimen he is. He may be Nadalian in this respect too. Very impressive run of performance here at the end of a very long year...no wonder he is called the EverReady Energizer Bunny by some.

Finally...there is Novak Djokovic himself. What a fantastic run of tennis he has played in the past month or so. The two titles in China and now Paris. He hardly looked like he broke a sweat in Paris. Maybe he didn't and this guy is all of a sudden the new statesman in the game. To watch him speaking French so composed in front of the Parisian throng...many who had skipped their afternoon tryst with their lovers just to go and watch the final. Or maybe they skipped the final...while holding or selling their tickets to be with their lover. One never knows...you know. It's a Parisian thing...or is it? But Novak had his grip on the trophy again and managed a very wonderful French acceptance speech of the trophy. He finally had to put the huge thing down as he finally tired. Hey...he's human. I think.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 11-04-2013, 03:58 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8593 users online. 9 members and 8584 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X