ATP World Tour Finals - London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATP World Tour Finals - London

The Round Robin Groupings came out Earlier Today.

They are...

Group A: Nadal, Ferrer, Berdych, Wawrinka

Group B: Djokovic, Del Potro, Federer, Gasquet

Many fans are screaming that Nadal has an open road to the finals. I may be giving to much credit to everyone else, but these are the top 9 players in the world (murray ranked 4th but out recovering from Back surgery), is there such a thing as an easy group? Anything can happen. watching Ferrer up a set and break against Rafa.

Let's here your thoughts, feelings, opinons and prognostications.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Nadal and Federer needed to lose today!!!

They were probably both better off having the extra day off to get rested up for London.

Federer made more good progress this week and he could certainly be a factor against Gasquet and Del Potro. He showed today again that he is not far from staying with the best of the best. But I think he really needs his solid three to four week training cycle to bring his confidence in his shots up to the level it should be. He's not going to be quite as quick as he used to be, but when he serves upwards of 70% first serves and moves without pain as he did in the first set today, with a renewed appreciation for the front court, he can still hold a spot among the top four players including achieving a two out of three set win against Nadal, Djokovic or Murray. For three out of five, it's a bigger reach except maybe at Wimbledon (if he's 100%). First serve percentage dropped way down in the third and Djokovic came way up (eliminated most of the ue's).

Nadal needed two wins to secure an insurmountable lead for year-end number one. Had he won today, he would only have needed to win one match in London to basically secure number one at least until Indian Wells. He'll just be adding points. Even if Djoker sweeps Paris, London and the Australian Open again he is defending 3500 points for London and the Australian Open. The 630 points Djoker (Nole got 10 points last year) could gain on Nadal with a win over Ferrer in the Bercy final would seem to close the 550 point 10/28/13 rankings gap, but Djoker will lose 1500 points from last year's WTF's while Nadal loses nothing. So he gains the 630, but goes from 550 behind to 1420 behind. Doesn't seem fair! If Nadal wins two matches and Djoker sweeps Bercy and London, Nadal ends up with a lead of 320 points and Djoker can't catch him even if he does pick up 225 points in Davis Cup. Djoker could then catch him before the Australian by adding a tournament before the Australian because he only shows 13 tournaments besides the Grand Slams and the WTF's on his record. But they are both unlikely to play anything but exhibition events before the Australian Open. Maybe Doha for a big appearance fee, but I doubt it. Nadal is going to need to rest his knees after London and Djokovic is going to be very tired by the time Davis Cup is over. I hope they both take a few weeks to recharge.

If Nadal had come back (got the one break back in that second set), he would have had to face the Djokovic who ran out the third set against Federer with just four unforced errors. It would have been an interesting battle, but it might have done Nadal enough damage that his knees would act up in London and he might not have been able to get the single win he would have needed against an inspired Berdych, Wawrinka or even Ferrer. Djokovic would have been weakened as well, but I don't think he has the same underlying physical problems as Nadal and more likely could have gotten through a couple of tough days. That's all strictly speculation, but I think the extra day and not playing the grueling 3-setter today as well as the final against Djokovic tomorrow makes a big difference to Nadal in his preparation for London. I'm not saying he tanked by any means, but this thought just might have been in the back of his head today. He still does need to win 2 more matches next week to secure number one, but if he does, it is almost certainly secure until Indian Wells, unless he gets upset early at the Australian Open.

I think it's Djokovic and Del Potro from Group B and again in the final, but I think Group A is Nadal and any of the other three. Del Potro has gotten the extra day of rest losing in the quarters to Federer.

PS. Here's an interesting scenario for you. Nadal wins only one match next week, so he would be 106 points short of the 666 I have been saying he needed from Paris and London to guarantee the year-end number one. Then Djokovic sweeps Paris and London. His Davis Cup teamates are so fired up to get the Davis Cup victory that they win the Cup 3-0. Then Djokovic only gets to play one live rubber and can only get 75 points from Davis Cup instead of 150 for two live matches plus a 75 points bonus for 7 matches in the year and winning the Cup. Nadal would retain the year-end number one. If it happens, just remember you heard it here first!

don

Comment

The Fed Plan...

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
      Federer made more good progress this week and he could certainly be a factor against Gasquet and Del Potro. He showed today again that he is not far from staying with the best of the best. But I think he really needs his solid three to four week training cycle to bring his confidence in his shots up to the level it should be. He's not going to be quite as quick as he used to be, but when he serves upwards of 70% first serves and moves without pain as he did in the first set today, with a renewed appreciation for the front court, he can still hold a spot among the top four players including achieving a two out of three set win against Nadal, Djokovic or Murray. For three out of five, it's a bigger reach except maybe at Wimbledon (if he's 100%). First serve percentage dropped way down in the third and Djokovic came way up (eliminated most of the ue's).

don
      It was about time that he separated with Paul Annacone. Tony Roche...he is not. I never felt that Federer was making use of his potential all court game after a certain point in time...but of course all of the engineering was against him. Plus the fact that he refused to make use of said engineering...he should have deep sixed that racquet along with Annacone. I am surprised that Annacone...who was one of the early ones to capitalize on the size of the racquet (remember that victory over Sampras can be attributed to that and only that)...could not convince Roger that it was in his best interests to switch when he first got on board. Roger is stubborn no doubt...maybe the most stubborn person in the world.

He has really struggled with some of the more complex issues of change going down the stretch run of his career. On the other hand...he has all of the money in the world...he might just be content doing it his way. Staying true to something in the end just might be worth more than material things. Or maybe he is just pacing himself to make more money. A change of equipment with a new company could make him billions...it's about time that Nike came up with a racquet for him.

The serve is the key...then he should capitalize in the front court and net to end things as soon as possible. The more he runs around the court like a chicken with its head cut off trying to retrieve against these younger guys with the bigger racquets, the more thoroughly he is cooked. He could be a factor in two out of three if his tactics preclude a plan that doesn't entail making the thing an endurance contest.
      Last edited by don_budge; 11-03-2013, 02:22 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Day 1 begins tomorrow. 2 matches on the schedule (singles)

Tomas Berdych vs. Stan Wawrinka: I love both these guys. Gonna be tough for the one that loses this match to have any hope to move on past round robin stage. Berdych looking for revenge from that US Open defeat. But man oh man....that backhand drive of Wawrinka is something special. Slightly bias on this one so my pick is not from a clear state of mind.

Juan Martin Del Potro vs. Richard Gasquet: Gasquet possesses the flair, Del Potro the bludgeoning power. This has potential to be a snooze fest if Del Potro gets off to a quick start. Del Potro in 2 close sets.

Clap of the racquet goes to...

Fernando Verdasco!!!
        Verdasco and partner David Marrero are in the doubles tournament in London as one of final 8 teams. Fernando Verdasco is the first player to ever compete in both singles (2009) and doubles (2013) at the ATP World Tour Finals. Props to him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Wawrinka defeated Berdych in 3 sets. Wawrinka looked good. Good enough to take out Ferrer and Nadal? We'll see. Really thought Berdych was turned that match around when he won the 2nd set tie-break 7-0. The court is London is not helping Berdych at all. Not as fast as years past and relatively higher bounce. Not an excuse for berdych, just a observation.

Del Potro and Gasquet played a very entertaining match. 7-5 in the 3rd set for Del Potro.

Tomorrow it's Nadal vs. Ferrer and Federer vs. Djokovic. Can't get better than that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Last edited by klacr; 11-04-2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I only saw the tail end of the last set of the Del Potro v Gasquet match today. I missed Wawrinka v Berdych.

Gasquet was hitting everything down the middle when I tuned in. Not a bad ploy against Del Potro but it must have been a dull game if that had been the tactic throughout. Del Potro looked poor from what I saw.

Tomorrow is the day to watch. I'm hoping Federer will play his best. If he can't do it in this event, he won't do it anywhere. It's indoors, and he usually thrives in this event. Let's see....
            Stotty

Comment

Richard Gasquet...vs. The Jolly Argentine Giant

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Tomorrow it's Nadal vs. Ferrer and Federer vs. Djokovic. Can't get better than that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Damn right!...said John McEnroe to Jiminy Glick.

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              I only saw the tail end of the last set of the Del Potro v Gasquet match today. I missed Wawrinka v Berdych.
              I saw the first set tie-breaker and the second set. What's her name...the British gal that was flirting with Boris Becker at the Ralph Lauren promo in Paris was gushing about the scintillating tennis. It was good too...really good. Gasquet gave us a serious peek at his slice backhand and he used it in good stead to slice and dice Del Potro and win the first set. The tie-break was some really good tennis. The second set was all Del Potro but Gasquet managed to make it interesting at the end...I only saw the beginning of the third and Gasquet looked as if he had shot his load and didn't have what it was going to take to get the job done.

Richard is playing some serious tennis of late...perhaps klacr's buddy Grossjean is having some influence on him afterall. Grossjean was a really tough competitor and that is exactly the kind of influence that Gasquet needs. No more necking with cocaine lipped babes down in South Beach, Miami. Grossjean is there to lay down the law.

The matchups for today...the same as the semifinals at the Paris Indoors. But this time the stakes are different. I just wonder if it will make any difference...I know it will in one match while it is questionable in the other. Anyone care to guess what this little riddle means. No predictions...other that to say that if Ferrer beats Nadal again I expect monkeys to fly out of Nadal's butt. Thereby explaining why he cannot seem to leave his rear end alone.

Roger just may have been measuring his steps in recent months for this match. If only he had switched his racquet he may have had a better shot at this one. But as it is...the years in combination with the area that he gives away in the racquet face may be too much for him to overcome. If he serves well and makes every opportunity to attack the net without doing it foolishly he has a shot. The longer the match goes on the more the advantage swings to Djokovic. Roger doesn't like Djokovic one little bit. I don't think that I have ever seen him shake hands so quickly at Paris when Djokovic beat him. This is motivation for Roger...something that he appeared to be lacking in some of his defeats this year. We shall see how it plays out.

Meanwhile Nadal has some questions about the surface at the ATP Finals...he stumping to swing the tournament in his favor...the Skunk.

Tennis’ year-end championships are supposed to showcase the top eight players in the world but Monday’s opening matches in London took a backseat to another butting of heads between the two biggest names in the sport.

The more I see of this guy the less I can stand him. One trick pony wants the venue changed to his favorite surface with some weak arguments about it also benefitting other players. Believe me...the only player this guy ever thinks about is himself. There is something about him that smells bad...all of those ticks and compulsive behaviors look to be drug induced to me. He isn't the only one...I am inclined to believe that Yannick Noah wasn't just whistling Dixie last year.
              Last edited by don_budge; 11-05-2013, 01:28 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge

Comment

How about a corrugated roof?

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Meanwhile Nadal has some questions about the surface at the ATP Finals...he stumping to swing the tournament in his favor...the Skunk.

Tennis’ year-end championships are supposed to showcase the top eight players in the world but Monday’s opening matches in London took a backseat to another butting of heads between the two biggest names in the sport.

The more I see of this guy the less I can stand him. One trick pony wants the venue changed to his favorite surface with some weak arguments about it also benefitting other players. Believe me...the only player this guy ever thinks about is himself. There is something about him that smells bad...all of those ticks and compulsive behaviors look to be drug induced to me. He isn't the only one...I am inclined to believe that Yannick Noah wasn't just whistling Dixie last year.
                Nadal may have a reasonable case. Why should it be played on hard every year? That the event falls in to the hard court season would seem the only valid reason. But there are too many hardcourt events. The surface is soulless and dead boring. It's the least attractive of all the surfaces. Grass events have been reduced to just a few weeks of the season.

What's that cement stuff mentioned in the Rites of Passage video? We never had that in the UK. Wouldn't that be a suitable surface? Why did it die out over there?

Sod the players having to adapt to another surface in the middle of the hard court season. Chuck in something completely different. How about a corrugated roof...that would be fun? I'd like to see Nadal and Djokovic get into position for those kind of bounces.
                Stotty

Comment

Another day...different stakes.

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                  Nadal may have a reasonable case.
                  Trust me...there is nothing reasonable about Nadal. Nadal over Ferrer 6-3, 6-2. Imagine my surprise.

This guy has always been a nasty piece of work to me.

don_budge

Comment

Federer vs. Djokovic

Federer to serve for the second set against Djokovic...will the motion hold up under the pressure?

This used to be his strong suit...nowadays he has been know to falter.

15-0, 15-15, 30-15, 30-30, 40-30, 40-40, ad out, deuce, ad out, break to Djokovic. Faltered ever so slightly. Djokovic in the drivers seat again.
                    don_budge

Comment

Federer vs. Djokovic

Well...now he has won the second set in a tie-break with some great play. But does he have enough in the tank to keep this up.

Fun to watch...
                      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                        But does he have enough in the tank to keep this up.
                        My thoughts exactly...and Djokovic could well get better.
                        Stotty

Comment

Good last set from Djokovic. Federer fell away...every now and then he looked as good as ever, though.

Taxing game for both players...
                          Stotty

Comment

A very physical match from both Djokovic and Federer.

Frustrating match to watch if you're a Federer fan. Impressive match if your a Djokovic fan. 3rd set, Djokovic never seemed to miss. Groundstrokes never wavered. federer had to redline to force a mistake from Djokovic.

Tomorrow, Nadal vs Wawrinka and Ferrer vs.Berdych. I can see the Nadal/Wawrinka match going 3. Must win match for Berdych.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

I think Federer, while still leaving something to be desired on the big points against the big players, is headed in the right direction these days. The margin separating him from, say, a Djokovic doesn't seem impossible to close anymore. He's starting to put some things together and hopefully in the process build a bit more needed confidence. He's getting closer...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7811 users online. 9 members and 7802 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X