Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum November 2013: Tomas Muster Backhand

Tomas Muster: Backhand

So last month we looked at the origins of heavy forehand topspin with Sergi Bruguera. Now let's look at Tomas Muster's heavy topspin backhand, again from the year 1997. First, just how extreme is his grip? The hand including the heel pad and the knuckle are definitely on the top bevel--or do they rotate further behind the handle? What about his contact point, the body rotation, and the surprising use (or non-use) of the opposite arm? The guy was a major force and especially on clay. Thoughts please!

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM.

Quicktime version

Tomas Muster: Backhand

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Bravo!

One of my all time favorite players. Muster was an absolute beast and never knew the meaning of giving up. An incredible comeback story as well.

As for his backhand, that grip on his backhand is a bit extreme, knuckle on top bevel but given that he specialized on clay this grip made it helpful to handle some of those high bouncing balls. Although in this clip he hits a few balls lower than what he'd prefer.

The non-use of his right arm is a bit surprising. He does seem to take his right elbow back a little farther than most when holding the racquet, but instead of letting that right arm release he keeps hit near his right side. Perhaps it is just a conscious effort to keep his upper body fairly quiet during the forward swing as after contact he lets the right arm go a little bit. Sometimes using that non dominant arm causes more trouble than what we'd like to think. Having one arm hitting the ball while the other is flailing behind you can and has tripped up alot of people. By keeping that right arm close, perhaps he feels a greater sense of balance, good posture and control. if you ever try hitting this way you realize that the non dominant arm kinda acts like a grounding instrument and naturally wants to keep you lower instead of rising up. However, you quickly realize how much stronger you need to be to make it happen consistently. No doubt Muster had the strength and discipline to do this.

Interested to hear others thoughts on this backhand.

Muster's Strokes were never aesthetically pleasing. Let's face it, nothing about his game was Federer-esque. But if it was Federer-esque, would he have had the same success. Muster's strokes were actually that...his strokes. No one else. Would Federer have been Federer if he copied Muster?' that question is a deep rabbit hole.

What separated Muster from the rest of the group was his ability to never give up. A ferocious hunger and raging fire within him got him to #1 in the world. Sure, his strokes were part of his game, but I have a feeling if you tied one hand behind his back and a 2x4 instead of a tennis racquet, he'd still think he had a chance to win and would try his hardest to prove any doubters wrong. That was the essence of Muster.

Perhaps a new cologne? "Essence of Muster".

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

God what a resource this site. I hadn't thought about the Moo Man for a long while. Maybe he was one of the first with this style backhand. But thanks for the trip down memory lane no matter.

Comment

Non-use of trailing arm

Okay, I'm not really replying to anyone in particular, but instead to what I think is the question relating to the "non-use" of the right arm in his one-handed left hand backhand. I may have the question wrong, and if so, apologies in advance. That said, I haven't really gotten a convincing rationale for using the trailing arm to do anything other than coordinate with the dominant arm and cooperate with the entire torso in making a full unit turn, but I think that some teachers evidently endorse use of the trailing arm as a kind of "brake" to limit rotation of the shoulders through the shot. Part of the answer to why Muster isn't using his trailing arm in that manner in the clips here is that he really isn't limiting his turn through the shot. He follows through naturally and fully, ending up essentially facing the net. But getting back to that point about there not really being a convincing rationale, all I can say is: it makes no sense anyway. Delegating to the trailing arm the job of putting the brakes on the shoulder turn is, IMHO, misguided and ... well, kinda silly. You've got some pretty serious muscles in the external and internal obliques that more than do the job after the range of the hip turn is limited. The arm simply isn't needed to be flailing out there. Thought experiment: Imagine simply cutting off that trailing arm. Now how do you prevent shoulder over rotation? I submit it should be done identically by those of us lucky enough to two arms (even when both aren't always needed).

So, is Muster's backhand not pretty? From my perspective, it's prettier and biomechanically more sound than the flailers' backhands.

Comment

Originally posted by cms56 View Post
            Okay, I'm not really replying to anyone in particular, but instead to what I think is the question relating to the "non-use" of the right arm in his one-handed left hand backhand. I may have the question wrong, and if so, apologies in advance. That said, I haven't really gotten a convincing rationale for using the trailing arm to do anything other than coordinate with the dominant arm and cooperate with the entire torso in making a full unit turn, but I think that some teachers evidently endorse use of the trailing arm as a kind of "brake" to limit rotation of the shoulders through the shot. Part of the answer to why Muster isn't using his trailing arm in that manner in the clips here is that he really isn't limiting his turn through the shot. He follows through naturally and fully, ending up essentially facing the net. But getting back to that point about there not really being a convincing rationale, all I can say is: it makes no sense anyway. Delegating to the trailing arm the job of putting the brakes on the shoulder turn is, IMHO, misguided and ... well, kinda silly. You've got some pretty serious muscles in the external and internal obliques that more than do the job after the range of the hip turn is limited. The arm simply isn't needed to be flailing out there. Thought experiment: Imagine simply cutting off that trailing arm. Now how do you prevent shoulder over rotation? I submit it should be done identically by those of us lucky enough to two arms (even when both aren't always needed).

So, is Muster's backhand not pretty? From my perspective, it's prettier and biomechanically more sound than the flailers' backhands.
            It's not a backhand that springs to mind when you think of the great backhands of the game, yet when you see it for all it's parts, there is nothing wrong with it. That opposite arm flying out is perhaps a bit of style on most players parts, but it can get excessive. Muster's backhand is basic and solid. No frivolous or extraneous movement. I do like his shoulder turn with that left shoulder pointing down towards ball and then keeping that hitting arm structure all the way through the shot. He certainly brushes up on the ball but he never loses body control like many rec players do when attempting heavy spin.

Muster makes a great move with his feet to adjust to the depth of the ball. The ball on the first backhand is deep, Muster adjusts and takes a small step backwards but still maintains posture and balance and does not give up court positioning. The 2nd backhand is a bit shorter, this allows Muster to step in and hit s the ball a bit flatter. I could watch Muster all day. My game could not be more opposite that Muster's but that doesn't matter. I can always appreciate a guy that came back from something as catastrophic as he did and reach the top.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

The Rome 1995 Final between Muster and Bruguera is fascinating:

Muster's fitness, power and athleticism are evident as he tames the brutal Bruguera forehand with his lefty one handed backhand on a clay court.

Comment

Originally posted by tennisplayer View Post
                The Rome 1995 Final between Muster and Bruguera is fascinating:

Muster's fitness, power and athleticism are evident as he tames the brutal Bruguera forehand with his lefty one handed backhand on a clay court.
                Great find tennisplayer!

This was Muster's premier year on tour. He won the 95' French Open defeating Michael Chang in the finals. That match was 1 of only 2 matches I ever cried at the end of. (tears of joy) The other match was when Ivanisevic beat Rafter to win Wimbledon. Great memories.

Interesting to see Muster hit his backhand on the clay. That angle from behind Muster instead of to the side really shows how far back he takes that racquet. Muster-Bruguera clay court battles were always interesting. Muster leads Bruguera in their head to head matches 12-3. Wow.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Muster was one of my favorite players .
                  As you likely know, he was hit by a car and while he was recovering (broken leg I believe) there was a video clip of him sitting on a bench ripping forehands. Why - he didn't want to lose his timing. Talk about tenacious.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7800 users online. 7 members and 7793 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X