Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home School vs Schooling

Question for all???

Has anyone done a study or know of a study on percentage of ATP and WTA players, say top 100, that were home schooled vs going to school? What is the success rate? I'd really like to know the answer if it's out there.

Other Alternative

Unless you are talking only about American players, you better include another option, dropping out of school without completing high school. Many international players are turning pro at 15, 16 and 17 without completing high school.

don

Comment

Good option to put in. So, if anyone out there has any of this information, please post it to this thread.

Comment

I am UK based.

Children I know who have dropped out of school to make a go of it at tennis (and I have known many) have done so with disastrous results. Home schooling requires self-motivation which is a big problem for youngsters.

Children can go to school and become a pro players. They can combine both. It just takes discipline and being able to deal with inconvenience. By inconvenience I mean getting up at 5:30 am and playing for two hours before going to school. My sister was a top class swimmer and would get up at 4:00am to train at the local pool for hours on end. She also achieved a 1st in Hispanic Studies. She did both...swam and went to school. She had to jettison everything else and just focus on studying and swimming. Something she regrets 40 years later...jettisoning everything else.

Most of the home taught kids I have known have grown up to be failed tennis players (failed in the sense they didn't make it) and HAD to become coaches because their grades were so poor, which is fine if you want to be a coach, grim if you don't.

My advice...stay at school...give yourself options.
        Last edited by stotty; 11-11-2013, 02:46 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

Dedication

You know you're on the right path to tennis success when you're at the court in the morning before the swimmers

Comment

Homeschool

Interesting article here. It claims in a nutshell that numbers show the kids being independently educated score between the 65 to 89 percentile range, while those in traditional academic settings are around 50 percent:

Last edited by hockeyscout; 11-16-2014, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, but I'm still looking to see if there are any real hard core statistics out there on success rates of the top 100 players. Your responses are right on the money and I'm very aware of the pitfalls and successes of home-schooled athletes, I've worked with many. I'd just really like to know if there are statistics out there primarily on tennis. Thanks again for the responses, please reach out to others if anyone knows of any studies on this.

Comment

Originally posted by ejkantor View Post
                Thanks for the responses, but I'm still looking to see if there are any real hard core statistics out there on success rates of the top 100 players. Your responses are right on the money and I'm very aware of the pitfalls and successes of home-schooled athletes, I've worked with many. I'd just really like to know if there are statistics out there primarily on tennis. Thanks again for the responses, please reach out to others if anyone knows of any studies on this.
                I imagine there are very few stats for home schooling relating to tennis. But why does it have to be related to tennis? Home schooling is home schooling...the reasons behind the decision to home school could be a result of many scenarios. Whether it's due to bullying, social phobia, poor catchment, tennis or swimming matters little. How effective is home schooling in general is the most important question.

Take a look...

The William sisters were home schooled.
                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8210 users online. 7 members and 8203 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X