2013 Davis Cup Finals Czech Republic vs. Serbia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Davis Cup Finals Czech Republic vs. Serbia

It's that time of year again. The time when I start a thread about the Davis Cup finals.

Last year it was Spain vs. Czech Republic. For those that took my advice and decided to watch were not disappointed. Czech Republic was victorious. This year, Czech Republic must face Serbia on their home soil.

Here is the schedule (Subject to change)
    Friday Singles
    R1. DJOKOVIC v STEPANEK

R2. LAJOVIC v BERDYCH

R3. BOZOLJAC/ZIMONJIC v HAJEK/ROSOL

R4. DJOKOVIC v BERDYCH

R5. LAJOVIC v STEPANEK

a few notes

*Czech Republic will be relying on Tomas Berdych (World #7) and Radek Stepanek (World #44). Berdych has a career 25-12 career win/loss record in Davis Cup Singles play. Stepanek has a 13-11 win loss record in singles.

*Tomas Berdych is 18-1 in Davis Cup doubles. Stepanek has a 15-3 record. Will they make an appearance on Saturday in the doubles? They use both Berdych and Stepanek often in both singles and doubles.

*Serbia is led by world #2 Novak Djokovic (24-7 DC singles record)

*Dusan Lajovic (world #117 has played ONE MATCH in DC career. In a dead rubber against Sweden's Filip Prpic)

*Anyone guessing who the week link is on the singles side?

*Janko Tipsarevic has pulled out of Davis Cup for Serbia due to heel injury.

*This match-up against Lajovic heavily favors the Czech team. Hopefully they can take care of business against this rookie and clinch the doubles point. Will be a hard ask for them to win one against Djokovic in Belgrade.

*A Czech victory would ease Berdych's year of not winning a singles title by him capturing the Davis Cup for two years in a row and thus earning him more Davis Cup titles than all the current top 10 ranked players combined (excluding Nadal).

I'll be watching!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Would you consider predicting an OVERALL score?

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    It's that time of year again. The time when I start a thread about the Davis Cup finals.

Last year it was Spain vs. Czech Republic. For those that took my advice and decided to watch were not disappointed. Czech Republic was victorious. This year, Czech Republic must face Serbia on their home soil.

Here is the schedule (Subject to change)
    Friday Singles
    R1. DJOKOVIC v STEPANEK

R2. LAJOVIC v BERDYCH

R3. BOZOLJAC/ZIMONJIC v HAJEK/ROSOL

R4. DJOKOVIC v BERDYCH

R5. LAJOVIC v STEPANEK

a few notes

*Czech Republic will be relying on Tomas Berdych (World #7) and Radek Stepanek (World #44). Berdych has a career 25-12 career win/loss record in Davis Cup Singles play. Stepanek has a 13-11 win loss record in singles.

*Tomas Berdych is 18-1 in Davis Cup doubles. Stepanek has a 15-3 record. Will they make an appearance on Saturday in the doubles? They use both Berdych and Stepanek often in both singles and doubles.

*Serbia is led by world #2 Novak Djokovic (24-7 DC singles record)

*Dusan Lajovic (world #117 has played ONE MATCH in DC career. In a dead rubber against Sweden's Filip Prpic)

*Anyone guessing who the week link is on the singles side?

*Janko Tipsarevic has pulled out of Davis Cup for Serbia due to heel injury.

*This match-up against Lajovic heavily favors the Czech team. Hopefully they can take care of business against this rookie and clinch the doubles point. Will be a hard ask for them to win one against Djokovic in Belgrade.

*A Czech victory would ease Berdych's year of not winning a singles title by him capturing the Davis Cup for two years in a row and thus earning him more Davis Cup titles than all the current top 10 ranked players combined (excluding Nadal).

I'll be watching!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Serbia 3-2 if NO Berdych and Stepanek in doubles?
    Last edited by julian1; 11-14-2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
      Serbia 3-2 if NO Berdych and Stepanek in doubles?
      I'm not in the prognostication business and will be thinking with my heart so slightly bias but sure, what the heck...

Czech Republic will win 3-2

Djokovic defeats Stepanek
      Serbia up 1-0

Berdych defeats Lajovic
      Tied 1-1

Czechs win doubles thriller
      Czech's lead 2-1

Djokovic defeats Berdych
      Tied 2-2

Stepanek beats Lajovic
      Czech's win 3-2

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

The Davis Cup Finals...2013

I'll be watching!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        That sure was a great tip last year...let's make this an annual thing. Kyle LaCroix's baby. Stepanek's victory over Almegro is still rather fresh in my mind...his all court play conquered the one dimensional game of his Spanish adversary. In front of an adoring home crowd no less. That was really exciting and a great moment for Czech tennis...historically speaking.

A Davis Cup victory for Czech Republic would certainly be a feather in Tomas Berdych's cap...how many can say "back to back" when referring to Davis Cup victories? But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's let nature take her course. If you give Novak Djokovic two wins...and take the two from the replacement for Tipsarevic and Troicki (Tipsy and Tricky) who is sitting this one out because of his ill advised decision to refuse to take a drug test...it comes down to the doubles.

The question is...can this year's final live up to last year's?
        Last edited by don_budge; 11-15-2013, 02:08 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Day 1 of the Davis Cup Finals is in the books.

No surprises on this Friday. Djokovic took care of Stepanek in straight sets. Although Stepanek had 8 break chances, he only converted once.

Tomas Berdych had a solid performance today, as he should, against Dusan Lajovic. Lajovic hit some gorgeous backhands. Berdych in straight sets.

The biggest match is undoubtedly the doubles tomorrow. if Serbs win doubles point, I can't see Djokovic losing his 2nd singles match. If Czech's win doubles point, I can't see Lajovic pulling out the fifth rubber against a veteran like Stepanek who was in same position last year vs. Almagro.

Although its listed as Rosol/Hajek vs. Bozoljac/ Zimonjic, I'd be shocked if it stayed that way. Stepanek and Berdych are a very solid doubles team and Serbia wants Djokovic to play which quite frankly, may be a mistake. Zimonjic and Bozo took out the Bryan brothers earlier this year in Boise.

Time will tell.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Last edited by klacr; 11-15-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Day 1 of the Davis Cup Finals is in the books.

No surprises on this Friday. Djokovic took care of Stepanek in straight sets. Although Stepanek had 8 break chances, he only converted once.

Tomas Berdych had a solid performance today, as he should, against Dusan Lajovic. Lajovic hit some gorgeous backhands. Berdych in straight sets.

The biggest match is undoubtedly the doubles tomorrow. if Serbs win doubles point, I can't see Djokovic losing his 2nd singles match. If Czech's win doubles point, I can't see Lajovic pulling out the fifth rubber against a veteran like Stepanek who was in same position last year vs. Almagro.

Although its listed as Rosol/Hajek vs. Bozoljac/ Zimonjic, I'd be shocked if it stayed that way. Stepanek and Berdych are a very solid doubles team and Serbia wants Djokovic to play which quite frankly, may be a mistake. Zimonjic and Bozo took out the Bryan brothers earlier this year in Boise.

Time will tell.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

I can't imagine Djokovic can play doubles to save his life...with volleys like that.
            Stotty

Comment

Destiny awaits

Huge win for the Czech Republic yesterday in doubles. In straight sets nonetheless. Using up little energy in the process. Czechs are are 2-1 heading into final day with plenty of gas left in the tank. Serbia needs to win both matches to win the Davis Cup. Czechs just need one victory which they are favorite to get n the 5th and final rubber with Radek Stepanek taking on 117th ranked Dusan Lajovic.

Critical error by the Serbian team not playing Djokovic in doubles yesterday. He may not be a great doules player or volleyer but you gotta think he'd be capable of lifting his game just once on the doubles court, especially considering the moment.

Can Berdych and Stepanek get their 2nd consecutive Davis Cup title? Say what you want about him or his game, but this feat would be impressive and worthy of acknowledgment.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Should Novak win and force the deciding match, Stepanek should be in an extremely pleasing(to him) situation. Deciding match for the title, all on his shoulders. He should be at his most irritating best. Stepanek is really a good example of how a old school type game can still get it done. He truly has great hands and feel for the ball, not as much as McEnroe, but he is in the area.

Comment

Stepanek

Stepanek is well known for his "sneak attack" forays to the net. He's crafty. I don't think he's in the same hemisphere as McEnroe in the hands and feel department however.

You never know...he is 34...his young opponent will at least have that to go at.
                  Stotty

Comment

Liver lips will kill him. What kind of bs was joker thinking, not playing dubs? Or Tipsy, not playing at all, costing his country so much? Lame, lazy, careless or all three?

Comment

Czechs did it! Back to back Davis Cup Titles.

Tomas Berdych knows how to end his seasons on a high note.

I'm going to savor this.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Last edited by klacr; 11-19-2013, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Here is some food for thought in regards to Czech Republic's Davis Cup Title

Before Radek Stepanek won today, only two other men in history have won two Davis Cup Live 5th Rubbers. They are henri Cochet (1927, 1929, 1931) and Fred Perry (1933 and 1936). Stepanek is the first to do it two years in a row.

As for Tomas Berdych, his 19-1 Doubles is impressive. The only man in Davis Cup history to have a better record than Tberd is John Bromwich at 20-1, back in 1950.

Fitting that Czech's won the cup on a day like November 17th. November 17th, 1989 was the "Velvet Revolution" and the fall of communism for the country. Radek Stepanek and Tomas Berdych are national heroes.

Thanks for tolerating my random Davis Cup posts this week. Trying to make up ground in the number of Tberd mentions versus Federer, Nadal, Djokovic mentions in all the other posts. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
                        Can the Czech Republic repeat? Dynasty perhaps?

Until next year...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Lots of fans are bashing Djokovic for not stepping up to play doubles with Zimonjic. But with all due respect to Djokovic, the fact that a man with a 33-46 career doubles record would have somehow completely changed the match against a Czech team that was 13-1 together and firing on all cylinders is ludicrous. Having watched the doubles match (and yes, I do have a life) it was clear that the 37-year old Zimonjic, a former world Number 1, who is not lighting the world on fire this year with a 31-22 record in dubs was a step too slow.

This Davis Cup final came down to the inability of the Serbs to get a higher class tennis player for their 2nd singles position. Troicki has been suspended and Tipsarevic had an injury. After those two guys, there is a steep drop off. Dusan Lajovic was put in to compete but he simply was not at that level...yet.
                          Anyone see him play? Nice one hander, a few of you traditionalists may appreciate that. He showed some great shot making but simply didnt have the experience or the nerves to deal with Berdych and Stepanek over the weekend.

Yes, I'm still on the topic of Davis Cup. Can't help it.

ATP Tour Active Players with Most Davis Cup Titles:
                          Rafael Nadal 3
                          Tomas Berdych 2
                          Radek Stepanek 2
                          Lleyton Hewitt 2

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Stepanek on cell phone: "Hello, darling, I'll be home soon." He wasn't kidding.

Comment

This year's Davis Cup final was the first time in the event's history that all 5 live rubber matches were finished in straight sets.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7636 users online. 7 members and 7629 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X