The Only Way to Win: Our Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Only Way to Win: Our Academy

Would love to get your thoughts on Jim Loehr's latest, "The Only Way to Win: Our Academy"

Now a huge fan!

I had always been a little reserved in my enthusiasm for Jim Loehr's approach to mental attitude on the court because I felt, probably incorrectly, that there was too much emphasis on the overt expression of emotion between points to pump yourself up.

But his statement here absolutely addresses the best (and also indirectly some of the worst) aspects of developing junior tennis players. It's wonderful to hear that someone is actually experiencing the positive results of trying to instill real values and character into their players.

Like so many coaches, I get fed up with the stories about aggressive parents or coaches teaching their players how to use gamesmanship or outright cheat. It has been heartbreaking to see kids actually give up the game entirely because they couldn't deal with the cheating.

The pressure for success in results still offers too much of a reward for those who can get away with bending the rules and moving the lines without getting caught; in fact, that may be true of our whole society in the 21st century. But I prefer to believe that the majority still believe in a set of values that embraces the principles that Jim Loehr is advocating and, more than that, saying is actually working and producing results.

Nevertheless, it would be really helpful if we had a better way of rewarding the development of character. In a way, it is its own reward in a better more satisfying life, but we need better recognition of it to encourage more of our young players to strive for it. We need better ways to help youngsters recognize the importance of developing that character. I'm sure Jim would say that it is not any easier to develop great character than it is to develop a great backhand or serve; it takes a lot of practice and commitment and it isn't really solid until it's been forged in caldron of challenging experiences; sometimes those experiences are not so easily categorized as wins and losses, but it is important to build confidence that enables you to face the more difficult choices we all have to make in life.

don

Comment

Jim never believed in shaking your fist at your opponent and using any other techniques of intimidation. He pioneered the idea of creating positive body language but it was about maintaining internal positive feelings. Some of his work was exaggerated and twisted in ways that were the antithesis of what he believed. The message here has always pretty much been the message in the 25 plus years I have known him.

Comment

My thoughts

Cool video
        Last edited by hockeyscout; 05-22-2015, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Would love to get your thoughts on Jim Loehr's latest, "The Only Way to Win: Our Academy"
          Of all the videos and articles I have witnessed on Tenniplayer, never have I been so impressed as with this one. I agree with every word. I am deeply impressed. Every coach, student and parent should watch it.
          Stotty

Comment

Good for Jim, definately a coach that "gets it".

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8028 users online. 6 members and 8022 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X