Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boris Becker Serve

Let's discuss Nate Chura's article, "The Boris Becker Serve"

Just awesome. Boris Becker being one of my idols, I love reading articles like this.

So interesting to get the back story on the development of Becker's serve. It was so unique, so different and so effective. I'd love to hear how he developed the rocking motion in the beginning of his serve.

The right foot crossover step was another trademark of the Becker serve. The last player to execute that technical move to my knowledge. I don't believe any players since have used that maneuver. Growing up, I attempted to mimic the serves of some of my favorite players. Not necessarily trying to make it my own but just to have a little fun. Becker 's was one of practiced alot. it was tricky. The knee bend alone from such a narrow stance required an enormous amount of leg strength which I didn't possess when I was 13-15 years old. The crossover step is something that was more trouble than what it was worth. My big feet got in the way if it wasn't perfectly timed.

Becker was and still is larger than life for me. His game was memorable and his serve was a major reason why.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Boris is a bit interesting to me because lately I have been experimenting with letting my tossing arm follow my serving arm a bit more than in the past. In my mind, I imagine both arms going up together and only separating when my tossing arm is almost past my back leg. This sort of rocking motion is clear in Becker's serve. I see it in Federer's serve as well. The tossing arm actually goes a bit back and then goes in a small arc forward toward the court.

I realize that John has some articles on the arc of the toss toward the left or right for Sampras and Rusedski. But what about the tossing arm arching as well.

In other words, does having both the tossing arm and serving arm follow a circular path improve the serve.

John any thoughts?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7690 users online. 6 members and 7684 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X